How'd it go today?

I'll get a pic when I haul more of the brush to the back. Not sure when that'll happen. Chance of rain tomorrow, and I may just want to recover from the last two days. Probably some time this week though. Seems like winter projects stack up. I get several things I want to do, and time's more limited. I wish it were cool all year.

In the last three days, I've cranked out NINE high quality videos (three are Shorts; 60 seconds or less) for my channel. I've had two opportunities so far to use my GoPro and thus far it's amazing. The video quality is stunning and it's nice to be able to go on climbs and record it finally. Today, while filming a video for a retrievable redirect involving a sling, a Pinto and a Revolver Rig, I found myself with an audience of around five people. So in the redirect video, you can see a few people standing around me as I film the sequence. I'm not a huge fan of audiences, but it's not the first time this has happened. I climbed this beautiful Eucalyptus tree and finished the video without incident. Everyone was super friendly and they had a lot of questions, which I spent time answering after I was finished filming.

I had a really interesting concept for a knee ascender that occurred to me today. I'm so sick of dicking around with bungee cords. I have a better idea; at least those are my instincts. I ordered some Nylon webbing so that I can sew together something as an alternative using one of my old foot ascenders. I'll use polyester thread to hand sew something unique and interesting. I'll share the end result once I've completed the project. Should be fun.

I'm spending New Years solo, messing around on my laptop and editing/rendering videos. Thinking about ordering either Taco Bell or Chinese food. Haven't decided.

Below is the thumbnail for my retrievable redirect video. You can see people gathered just below the lettering and the redirect of course.

.Anyways, Happy New Year everyone! =-D

Attachments

• Retrievable Redirect Pinto Rig Sling Thumbnail 2.jpg
    Retrievable Redirect Pinto Rig Sling Thumbnail 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Happy New Year all!

Yesterday was rough. We helped a friend move, standard "Hey, you have a truck!" Kinda stuff. Unfortunately I was suffering through some terrible indigestion, a heavy breakfast of chicken fried steak, making a hard lump right at the top of my stomach all day. Got worse at home, totally blowing any plans for New Years Eve. So bad I put a bucket next to the bed. Ick.

A new day, a new year, and I feel a new man by comparison! So enough bellyaching about a bellyache! There's a bright side here, and that's that I have beer left, and a stomach for drinking again! Woo-hoo!

In all seriousness, I'll probably have to move our friend Bry again soon. I sure hope I do, I don't like where she's at. Trashy tweaker trailer park. The place stank, like rotten food that someone tried to cover up with fabreeze or some shit. Spotted the dead carcass of some small domestic critter, in plain view, dry and desiccated under the edge of the porch. She needed a place, and her friend offered a room, so do as needs must, but still.

I hope everyone one is having a better start to their year than Bry, or myself for that matter. Enjoy National Hangover Day!

Good morning all,

I want to send you my best wishes for an incredible 2024. May you wake up every day inspired to continue making your world bright, filling it with compassion, love & laughter. May you find joy in small things. May you place your energy and attention on that which you want to create. May you meet wonderful collaborators along the way and may you bring out the best in one another. And may this year be filled with awesome adventures, welcome surprises, exciting opportunities and a deep sense of inner peace.

Hugs,
Pat

The neighbor behind us has quite a few impressive beeches. After doing a plumbing job 2 other companies failed at as well as saving them 6K, they told me I could climb any tree of theirs at anytime. So, enjoyed some quality time in a large, triple leader beech this afternoon.

Im going to try to make myself put a spare line in a backyard tree and footlock and or hip thrust 3 times a week for 20 minutes. It’s hard for me to exercise for the sake of exercising and routines don’t last.

Sometimes this place just ROCKS!!!
John ( Ixskllr) was moaning about not being able to get Sallmiakki Snaps, A finnish snaps made from salmiak licorice.
So I offered to send him a bottle.
Then we had the "Old Bay" thing, where I didn't know what it was.
So John decided to send me a box of it , but also included 2 bottles of hotsauce, because he knows I love that and it is near impossible to find here.
Then on top of that, his national flag.
The snaps hasn't landed at his place yet.
Can't figure out why, but then I got to thinking: the first Transatlantic flights were all from US to Europe, because the prevailing winds make it easier to fly that way!!
That is why it is late, of course.
Looking into that, I found this: The First Nonstop Flight Across the Atlantic Lasted 16 Harrowing Hours | HISTORY - https://www.history.com/news/first-transatlantic-flight-nonstop-alcock-brown

Somehow I thought Lindberg was first???

20240103_135655.jpg

Maryland does have a beautiful flag. I'll have to see what I can dig up for you so far as hot sauce goes. Have you tried Gunslinger yet?

Glad it made it you! I always feel a little uneasy til a package I shipped arrives. Our post service is pretty good, but I have a hard time trusting strangers to get things done. Someone else screws up the process, and makes me the asshole :^D I trust you didn't have to pay the ridiculous duty I was quoted?

Here is a hotsauce story for you, Kaveman.

When I came to your lovely country first time in 81, I left a logging job in Schweiz in late winter, when we were finished.
Hitchhiked to Oostende in order to take the ferry to England.
Well, Oostende got hit by a mega blizzard that shut everything down.
So I set my tent up outside the ferry terminal and waited for it to blow over.
Imagine the reaction of the costums people when they finally dug through next day and found me sleeping on their doorstep.
Invited me in for coffee, nice folks.
Made it to London, but got tired of that in a day, so flew out next morning. I don't like cities.
Landed in New York, same story..........left after 1½ hour on a greyhound along interstate 80.
Got dropped far enough from the city, that hitchiking was possible and set off westwards.
Winter the whole way. It was hard as hell.
Got hit by another snowstorm in Nevada.
I was standing in the literal middle of nowhere, having been dropped off by someone, who left I80.

Woke up next morning and there was nothing but snow, horizon to horizon. Made breakfast, packed up and struggled through the snow out to the Highway and waited for better times.
After a while I saw a black spot way out.................snowplow!
When he came up to me, I stuck my thumb out, " Now where the hell did you come from". took me to the next town and bought me breakfast, while telling everyone in the cafe' about how I was standing there, middle of nowhere, thumb out.

Just made it over Donner Pass when the next snowstrom hit.
I was in the mountains by then, with forest and was actually looking forwards to spending the night, when I got picked up by a Vietnam vet in a Jeep, who took me home.

Next day I made it to Redding and stood just outside of town on 299.
By now the weather was warming up, so I gradually stripped off my winter clothing, while waiting for a ride. Lots of young students coming by, smiling and waving at me, life sure was improving.

Got picked up by a logging truck, the driver bought me lunch at a small logger's cafe in Willowcreek.
There was a bottle of something green on the table. I didn't know what it was and asked the trucker.
"Salsa verde" try it on your hash browns.
Bottle was empty when I left the table.

Been loving hot sauce ever since.

(That was, of course, a very abbreviated version of a trip that took 3 miserable weeks)

Last edited:
Here is a hotsauce story for you, Kaveman.

When I came to your lovely country first time in 81, I left a logging job in Schweiz in late winter, when we were finished.
Hitchhiked to Oostende in order to take the ferry to England.
Well, Oostende got hit by a mega blizzard that shut everything down.
So I set my tent up outside the ferry terminal and waited for it to blow over.
Imagine the reaction of the costums people when they finally dug through next day and found me sleeping on their doorstep.
Invited me in for coffee, nice folks.
Made it to London, but got tired of that in a day, so flew out next morning. I don't like cities.
Landed in New Yourk, same story..........left after 1½ hour on a greyhound along interstate 80.
Got dropped far enough from the city, that hitchiking was possible and set off westwards.
Winter the whole way. It was hard as hell.
Got hit by another snowstorm in Nevada.
I was standing in the literal middle of nowhere, having been dropped off by someone, who left I80.

Woke up next morning and there was nothing but snow, horizon to horizon. Made breakfast, packed up and struggled through the snow out to the Highway and waited for better times.
After a while I saw a black spot way out.................snowplow!
When he came up to me, I stuck my thumb out, " Now where the hell did you come from". took me to the next town and bought me breakfast, while telling everyone in the cafe' about how I was standing there, middle of nowhere, thumb out.

Just made it over Donner Pass when the next snowstrom hit.
I was in the mountains by then, with forest and was actually looking forwards to spending the night, when I got picked up by a Vietnam vet in a Jeep, who took me home.

Next day I made it to Redding and stood just outside of town on 299.
By now the weather was warming up, so I gradually stripped off my winter clothing, while waiting for a ride. Lots of young students coming by, smiling and waving at me, life sure was improving.

Got picked up by a logging truck, the driver bought me luch at a small logger's cafe in Willowcreek.
There was a bottle of something green on the table. I didn't know what it was and ask the trucker.
"Salsa verde" try it on your hash browns.
Bottle was empty when I left the table.

Been loving hot sauce ever since.

(That was, of course, a very abbreviated version of a trip that took 3 miserable weeks)
I'll start collecting some spicy stuff for you...

Finished work early, so I went down to start on the willows. I dropped 4 leaning stems, and split every one of them :^D First was a coos bay, and I didn't get the backcut in fast enough, and it barberchaired. Second was another coos, this time cut deeper. It didn't chair as bad, but it still split at the end of the cut. Next was a conventional, and it split before I could get the backcut finished. The last one was a face+bore. It was going well til the face closed, and wait for it.... The stem split :^D None of it matters, but my goal now is to get the heavyish leaners down without splitting them.

I remembered them being smaller than they were, and I took my poulanpro. I should have taken the echo. The poulan isn't oiling for some reason. I fooled with it for almost an hour after I finished, but couldn't get oil going. Last thing I did was dump the oil and put some diesel in the tank. We'll see if if it did anything tomorrow.

I wasn't gonna chip, but decided to chip the stuff I cut. I thought about looking at the anvil, but it needs to be used this weekend, and I know what I have now. I'm reluctant to screw with it til the required job's done. I put in some pretty beefy pieces(5"), and it handled them pretty well. I noticed all the anvil mounting hardware is still well painted. I'm wondering if it was ever touched. That would be fantastic if it wasn't. That means the machine can only get better, and I'll have three more edges to use before a new anvil is needed.

Oh, and my real job sucked. Marking cans at the noisewall again. I had to stand inside the cans for these, so I was balanced on top ends of rebar, and of course everything was a muddy mess. My knees and back are killing me. I hate that job. Noisewalls tend to suck anyway, and this one's the worst I've ever done.

It's definitely light. It'll be a fun challenge. I feel like if I can get those down intact, I could fall anything without it splitting. I need to get more familiar with it. The hinge seems to hold pretty well. The one I bored was going great til it hit the face, and the hinge held good enough to split the stem. I didn't have an especially fat hinge on it either, though I suppose I should have made it thinner so it would break easy. I didn't need any kind of directional control.

I recently did an emergency chop and drop.
An almost horizontal branch about 10-12" on a eucalyptus.
I put in two angled undercuts, one on each side with the point meeting underneath. Fast backcut, it popped off with no issues. Sort of a modified 'trangle/coos bay' cut?
No faces, just angled undercuts meeting at a point, then when chasing the back cut, the holding wood is diminishing in size the whole time until it just goes 'pop'

I recently did an emergency chop and drop.
An almost horizontal branch about 10-12" on a eucalyptus.
I put in two angled undercuts, one on each side with the point meeting underneath. Fast backcut, it popped off with no issues. Sort of a modified 'trangle/coos bay' cut?
No faces, just angled undercuts meeting at a point, then when chasing the back cut, the holding wood is diminishing in size the whole time until it just goes 'pop'
So kinda like a cripple cut, if I'm understanding this properly?

I guess.
It wasn't big enough to bore, awkward to try and face (single or double) Long, heavy, horizontal.
Angled side reduction cuts, fast on the back cut, pieces went where the point was pointing :)

I guess.
It wasn't big enough to bore, awkward to try and face (single or double) Long, heavy, horizontal.
Angled side reduction cuts, fast on the back cut, pieces went where the point was pointing :)
Ahh, now I get it, thanks Fiona! I'll put that in the bag of tricks for sure!

Back