How'd it go today?

On my baby chipper, two features can do that, even in good working order:
- The dump valve adjusted to control the oil flow available. It modulate the speed of the intake roller and the wheels for moving the chipper around. It sends the excess oil directly to the tank, bypassing all the system. If fully open, no oil goes to the motors.
- The nostress system, which you call autofeed I guess. It monitors the speed of the drum in the cutting chamber. It has to turn at full speed to engage the infeed roller. If the engine is idling, or at half speed, or if the belt tensionner (clutch) is off, nothing happens. Same if the hall effect captor is dead. This is the case on mine. I had to modify the hydraulique hoses pattern to make it works again ( but no more with the nostress system, hand regulated).

I got the chipper going today, at least on a basic level. It was the autofeed settings messing it up. If I turn autofeed off, I can operate it manually. The [Back] setting confuses me, so I need a little more time with the manual. There's almost no way that motor has 40hr on it. Smoky, and it lugs out sooner than I'd expect it to. Maybe it'll clear up with use, but I have my doubts. Chips looks rough. I need to raise the feedwheel, so I can check the anvil. I suspect the gap is too great. So, it's working, and I can use it, but it's imperfect. Still need to change the oil and drain the hydro.

When grandson in Pasadena was told I wasn’t coming to visit he got sad and started repeating over and over “I want grandpa in my house”. As soon as we got off the FaceTime with him I cashed in my Air miles credits and got up at 2am and grabbed an early flight - just arrived here. Pick him up from school soon.

When grandson in Pasadena was told I wasn’t coming to visit he got sad and started repeating over and over “I want grandpa in my house”. As soon as we got off the FaceTime with him I cashed in my Air miles credits and got up at 2am and grabbed an early flight - just arrived here. Pick him up from school soon.
Well shoot you’re just down the road! 😆

I’m jealous. Even at that radius you still have more tip height than I have stick. I’m good for your max at half that radius. I’ll dream of this machine tonight.

Also I want the outrigger pressure sensors. So nice

***That painful moment when you realize your harness rides much better with your lower D's extended more, but now you have to break the double fisherman's knots on your two bridges so you can shorten them (after applying your weight to them at that length for half a year)***

Yikes! What b*tch!

@Dave Shepard Those stats are hot.

@CurSedVoyce You're right. It's been six months and I haven't changed my bridges. F\/ck that noise. Hopefully you remember this conversation -- err, argument -- that we had.. You win.

Last edited:
We got back from looking at Christmas lights and we* read books and goobered around doing all our silly games like chasing and sputtering raspberries at each other. Grandkids are such fun! Now it’s off to bed!

*(Lowen calls Karen ‘Bibi’ and I am ‘Grandpa’, but he almost always says it like one word:
‘Bibigrandpa’)
IMG_3621.jpeg

My oldest called her grandma "MeeMee". Came out of the blue one day, and was all she was called, til the cancer took her.

My youngest niece had a hand in naming my oldest. Little Andi used to call me "Kavey". My daughter's name is Kathryn Victoria, KV. Thus my oldest is named after me. I call her Kavebaby, Kavegirl, Kavechild, her Uncle Gary (Uncle GaGa) calls her Kaveprincess.

Nicknames are a big thing in my family, if we like you, you get one. Like my 80 year old friend, and drywall wizard, Donkaboom Jim Davis, who took a fall from some scaffold and got a "Donkaboom". My wife is the Kavebear. She's exactly the opposite of a morning person, and her hibernation should not be interrupted. My mother was known by Amazon, and while she passed before my daughter was born, she is now Gramazon.
It doesn't hurt that I'm from a family of truckers and bikers, so everyone had a handle. Before I was Kaveman, the Wandering Wizard of the Mogollon, I was simply "Dude"

For those wondering, Mogollon is pronounced Moe-Ghee-On. Like the name, the clarified butter, and the opposite of "off".

The first settlers of the "valley of the sun" reworked the irrigation canal system the ancient Mogollon had left centuries before, giving rise to the name of our capitol city, Phoenix, as it had risen from its own ashes.

Changed the oil and the hydraulic fluid in the chipper today. I didn't clean the tank, and it looked like it could use it shining a flashlight in the filler. I need to get some stuff together for a cleaning operation, and if what I was seeing is accurate, it looks like it'll be a real project. I also didn't change the strainer. I need to get one, and I didn't want to add to the complexity right now. I figure it's working now, so the less I dick with it, the better the chances of it continuing to work for the time being. I also still need to check the anvil. I have to figure out a way to remove the springs, and put them back without unscrewing the mounts, which I don't want to do. I may wait til I'm under a convenient tree, and haul them off with ropes.

I'm actually constantly pleased at how easy my Chipstar chipper is to maintain compared to the more common brands.
A few pumps on the hydraulic handle and the whole feed wheel assembly lifts up giving me access to the anvil/knife bypass and the gap behind the feed wheel.
Four bolts on the outside and the anvil block is off if I need to change edges.
Lift the cover on the disk and both knives are immediately accessible for either periodic maintenance or replacing.

That sounds like some good engineering.

I love my Brush Bandit but accessing the anvil is not easy

It does help that I am small and my hands fit into tight places.
I used to joke that was one reason my hubby married me, I could fit down alongside the engine and reach shaft bearings and stuff on the boat that he couldn't. He'd say I make a great engine pull through and everything was cleaner once I'd squirreled away down there fixing or replacing something he couldn't reach :)
I Miss him, he taught me so much.

Last edited:
I made a real quick search this morning, and it looks like a souvenir token; maybe from mint visits. One guy online was selling them for 45¢, but that doesn't mean he got that. No value, but an interesting curiosity.

Didn't do much today. Went shopping and moved firewood around at the house. I also spun up a chain for my 2511 that didn't need spinning. Got the chain together, put it in my case, and noticed the chain I had already made in there, and that's in addition to the Carlton chain the bar came with, and I'm saving for emergencies(for now). Oh well, it'll get used eventually.

Went this morning and removed two trees for a pole barn build. Bastids dumped the trusses right along the stumps making me have to strip them instead of easy floppers. No big deal, still done by noon. Then checked on the bosses progress at his barn. It’s coming along nicely.

IMG_7442.jpeg IMG_7444.jpeg IMG_7443.jpeg
Moved wood into the garage and now I need to get a shower and then go pick the kids up from my mom. Looks like rain all day tomorrow.

Patched the corner of the foundation on my old farm house today. Big PIA. Septic lines and vent and water lines cluttering up the corner. Field stones falling out. Had to make the hole on the outside bigger so I could ram concrete in from outside and then go down there and ram it a different way. Made a tool to do that. After I got it stuffed under the sill where I could not reach by hand I added some field stone to cut down on the concrete and not have it slump without forms. Almost finished. It is finished on the outside which is good cause low 20s are on their way. Glad that job is behind me.

Back