How'd it go today?

IMG_6660.jpeg
Added the fence and top rail tonight. Had to get that in since the peas are sprouted now. I would’ve finished the door but I used the 2x6 at my parents and forgot to pick up more. Also left my bucket of 3” screws there. Had just enough in my pouch to get what I got. Relaxing on the patio watching the fire now.

It’s getting there. Once the door is on I’ll start on the outside of it. Just gonna do a two or three foot bed around it. Might plant blue berry bushes on one side. Also gonna start a new asparagus patch so in a few years I can reclaim the area it’s in now. She’s also gonna plant sunflowers out there.
I forgot that I have to cut the posts off some day. For now they aren’t hurting anything sticking up at random lengths.

Testing out my prototype for a rope wrench setup that involves a hitch cord with one sewn or spliced or tied eye and where the other is leg is captured by a small prusik cord made from ultra strong materials. I had been using double braid for the prusik, but a much more talented friend of mine suggested I use single braid rope and use less wraps. I also plan on tying this hitch slightly differently going forward in order to place the knot which serves as a bend elsewhere, freeing it from the loop that the carabiner goes through. Ideally, I would like to create sevreal tiny prusiks which are connected using sewed connections with several bar tacks that result in a compact CNC generated bend. I tested out a brand new hitch I created tonight. In order to continue climbing in Arizona, I have to climb at night. These pictures were taken at 10pm and showcase the system I'm developing. We are all familiar with with how, after tying our hitches and initially applying our weight to it, adjustments need to be made. Often after making a short ascent followed by some small descents, the hitch will settle further and it is prudent to continue to pull out the excess slack each time so that the end result is a hitch that is of the shortest length possible. That's what I hope to achieve with this system. Potentially, I might start selling some of the best hitch cords on the market with one sewn Viking eye on one end or spliced and then the other end, coming out of the other end of whatever hitch is tied around the around, would be placed through the mini prusik (more like a mini Schwabisch) and a stopper knot would be tied at the end of that leg. This makes it possible to not only take in all of the excess cord in the hitch easily, but it makes it possible for the operator to have a 100% adjustable hitch/hitch cord. Depending on varied rope diameters that the hitch is tied around and the length of the rope wrench system, and the numbers of wraps used for each unique hitch at the primary section aka the coil, this adjustability is not only convenient but crucial so that multiple hitch cords aren't required and so that the ideal settings can be dialed in! PXL_20230603_053613359~2.jpg
PXL_20230603_053558111~2.jpg
PXL_20230603_054231904~2.jpg

Treebilly, holy smokes, that planter just keeps getting better and better! Did you have a vision for it or did you have a pattern of some kind? It is amazing. Hard to tell from the picture, how big is it?

@vharrison My wife decided she wanted a raised garden this year with only a few weeks till planting so I told her to find something she liked. Just so happened the one she liked had plans that could be bought. Came with a material list and cut list. I added a bunch of things to make it work for my setting and a few extra things knowing that the plans didn’t have enough structural support.
@cory That’s just straw. She planted the week before Memorial Day and we left for a four day weekend. I strawed it decently heavy and watered the heck out of it the morning we left. We haven’t had rain in a few weeks now so it helps keep moisture in the ground.

Busy day. Removed 12 smallish white pines in a narrow area between two businesses this morning. Had to have everything down by 11am because the restaurant opened then. And then on to two good sized white pines to finish the day. Stopped at Home Depot to get the rest of the lumber for the garden and now getting ready to shower so the wife and I can go out for a bit. Then probably a nice fire on the patio to finish the evening. Got to be up early to take the kids fishing before it gets hot out.

I cut an hedge of pyracantha. I hate that thing. Howthorn is nicer than this shit. Luckily it isn't a frequent occurrence and this one was relatively young, so it wasn't that bad.
I really enjoyed my chipper to get rid of it along the road. Excepted that it nearly let me down at 2/3 of the job. After running out of gas, it didn't want to start after the refill. I almost emptied the battery trying to crank it. The gas pump didn't seem to prime it back. I guess it was a sort of wapor lock, though it wasn't really hot this day.
Maybe I should buy a spare pump just in case that's a first call, or/and try to insert a hand primer between the tank and the filter (the pump is above, just before the carb). It's a twin cylinders Honda 22hp with just less than 70 hours, so it kind of surprized me. Usually, it starts right again within a few seconds and a little bit of chock to ease the priming. Not this time.
At the last try before giving up, it cought and started, running just fine after that. Pfew!

As I remembe, pyracantha is loaded with thorns. ouch.

Jim, I just love seeing pictures of your family. I got a turkey yesterday with hopes of making turkey noodle soup after the meal of turkey and mash potatoes. Any tips? I plan saving the juices then boiling the bones For additional broth.

went and pulled over 2 slash pines first thing this morning, cut into 15ft logs and throw on a burn pile, 20 minute job
supposed to get my outrigger cylinder back tomorrow, so I should be back in business tuesday if all goes well

As I remembe, pyracantha is loaded with thorns. ouch.

Jim, I just love seeing pictures of your family. I got a turkey yesterday with hopes of making turkey noodle soup after the meal of turkey and mash potatoes. Any tips? I plan saving the juices then boiling the bones For additional broth.
That's the best way I have found to do it.

Make a stock with the bones, skin, fat and any drippings.

Most recipes don't call for enough veggies either.

When I have time I like to saute the veggies first in butter or chicken fat with some salt.

Haven't done much this weekend. My gift from Spot this morning was a mouse head. Cut the dead out of my blueberries. Not much left of them.

Canola oil prices are dropping. I picked up a case from aldi for $6.64/G. I also ordered a couple gallons of "Better Than Oil' bio bar oil. Should be delivered next week. Those were $20/G D^: Curious to see how it is. The canola seems to work very well as long as there isn't air contact, and the saws are regularly used, but it was a bit of a hassle scraping crud off a couple of my saws last week. I'll see if there's a place for the bio oil for longer term storage or something. Maybe run the canola, and make the last fill bio if I don't anticipate using the saw for awhile.

One of my cherries out front has cherries on it, but they're almost all out of reach. Might do a freeclimb later and try to get some. That tree makes little cherries though, so I'm not sure the reward's worth the work.

@lxskllr You should buy one of those long claw things that handicapped and elderly people use to reach items high up while in their wheelchairs or scooters. Then once you receive it in the mail, use rubber bands to pad the grabby parts that close into eachother with some wads of paper towel. Then you can ascend into the tree and daintily grab the ripe cherries out of reach. You can buy one of these devices on Amazon for ultra short money. Buy one that is especially long. Not sure how committed you are to this endeavor, but I am here to help you succeed, sir! #TeamCherryPicker

Last edited:
Or I could just buy fat cherries from the store :^D

Dunno why the cherries are so small on this tree. I used to have one that gave nice fat cherries, but it died. The cherries taste good, but there isn't much to them. The birds like them, and poop cherry trees all over the place, so I consider that a win even if I don't get to eat many.

Or I could just buy fat cherries from the store :^D

Dunno why the cherries are so small on this tree. I used to have one that gave nice fat cherries, but it died. The cherries taste good, but there isn't much to them. The birds like them, and poop cherry trees all over the place, so I consider that a win even if I don't get to eat many.
Ah yes, animal scat. Nothing prepares a seed with the necessary organic fertilizer required for growth like animal scat. Can you believe that people go to school and acquire doctorates in scatology (the study of poop)? Such experts are more important than one might think. As the saying goes, "number two is number one!" #PoopIsPower (I'm going to start adding pointless and ridiculous hashtags to the end of some of my posts now for comedic effect).

Last edited:
Back