How'd it go today?

and before anyone says it, im aware it needs hose wrap, had to cut it off to replace a hose last year and havent put it back on yet, the guy made a hose 1ft long and so it wont fit in a bundle with the rest (the big return line hanging low)
gotta shorten that hose up, it kinks in the knuckle sometimes depending on the angle of the lower boom

Pictures of the tree John helped with. Thanks for being available John (again!) It was a codom and one leader had no heartwood as well as a large opening in the sapwood for about 10’. I took 5 to 10x more weight off of it than my body weighs as I was climbing out to the top. It still puckered the sphincter a little in the breeze and on the drops. It was one of those “just get it on the ground in manageable pieces, I don’t care about the yard or the other trees, I’ll clean it up” kind of jobs.

Attachments

• IMG_5129.jpeg
    IMG_5129.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5134.jpeg
    IMG_5134.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5135.jpeg
    IMG_5135.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5132.jpeg
    IMG_5132.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5131.jpeg
    IMG_5131.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5130.jpeg
    IMG_5130.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
Routine day. Annoying road plans to deal with. Got home and semi thoroughly cleaned a couple saws. Didn't polish plastic or anything, but I took off a lot of plates and stuff to dig crud out. I still should pull more of the cases apart and clean the cylinders better. Some of the chunks were stuck pretty hard. Probably from the canola oil. Wasn't bad enough to quit using it, but I had to scrape some metal parts to get the chunks off. Harder than normal bar oil.

Routine day. Annoying road plans to deal with. Got home and semi thoroughly cleaned a couple saws. Didn't polish plastic or anything, but I took off a lot of plates and stuff to dig crud out. I still should pull more of the cases apart and clean the cylinders better. Some of the chunks were stuck pretty hard. Probably from the canola oil. Wasn't bad enough to quit using it, but I had to scrape some metal parts to get the chunks off. Harder than normal bar oil.
Do you have an air compressor? It’s nice to be able to use high pressure air to clean easily and deeply.

Well, the clutch for the diesel came after my 3 day weekend :lol:
The washer and dryer parts showed up, so I get to take my 3rd day off for the technician.
Under warranty is starting to cost too much money missing work.
Oil dip stick flange will supposably be here tomorrow. But I have a chipper chute to weld after the technician leaves. I swear the damn thing just beats itself to death. Could be all the dead wood we feed it :dontknow:

You should :).

But I hear you about the noise and the wait. I have mine out behind the workshop, so once I start it up it's not too loud. And I learned to start it and lay out the hose before I do anything else, so by the time I have the saws set up on the outdoor work bench in front of the shop, it's charged up.

I really like working on saws outdoors...so much easier to keep the crud and crap out of everything else in the shop that way, especially when using compressed air for cleaning. Doesn't always work out...rain or snow will put the end to that plan, but usually I can.

Seemed like a long day at work but wasn’t too bad. Chip hauling was killing is on time. Then I went over to my parents to continue on the deck. My brothers got a good bit done while I was camping. Now I’m on the tedious part with angles at both ends and a lot of short pieces. Another night or so and it’ll be done and I can get back to my projects at home.

went to the dentist, I go back for a ton of work next thursday
dropped some hangers from a black walnut at my house today, might go top the grass later IDK

bid a tree to help out a buddy, ~4ft DBH 70ft tall white oak, approx 50ft spread, 7.2KV single phase, 120/240 house drop running pole to pole, and catv/phone lines running through one side, 3 phase nearby on the other side, hollow in the trunk, got a crack all the way up the main stem and possible included bark holding the top 50ft up, leaning towards the neighbors house
only good part of it is the paycheck and bucket access, id crane it out but we cant get the crane that close to the wires
350708756_135794569509561_6321625278414629391_n.jpg
350843078_136151429429081_7629621009107000404_n.jpg
350771952_1980120488992562_4544035905467200829_n.jpg

Same old, same old boring stuff. I stole the 16" bar off my poulanpro to put on the cs400. That saw had it's 16" bar taken for my cs355. Poulanpro is back to wearing the 18" bar it shipped with. Not ideal, but I'm not using that saw much anymore after getting the cs490 as an office saw. Just spun up a chain for it, and I'll take it into work tomorrow.

Awhile ago I was at the sawshop. It's the Amish guy up in PA. I love that place. I was looking over saw chain cases, and couldn't decide what to get. He had everything from cheap plastic boxes, to nylon pouches, to handtooled leather. I asked him which one he thought I should get. He looked at me minute, said "I've got the perfect case for you", went behind the counter, and handed me this...

IMG_20230531_164827557_HDR.jpg

What do you think?

I'm jelly now, i would be the envy of the whole site with that one! Inspectors would see that and i wouldn't even have to test in :lol: honestly it looks pretty stout, which is an added bonus

My story was bullshit, but it is a nice bag for chains. I needed something different than my harborfreight toolbag, and found an old bag of my daughter's. I'm accumulating too much saw stuff, and it wouldn't fit in the toolbag. Files, chain build/repair stuff, maintenance tools, wedges, grease... Life was much simpler when I only had two saws :^D

On the subject of blowing out saws. I was just looking at harborfreight's site, and saw this...

I wonder if that would be cool to have for cleaning saws? You could blow them out before you even left the site. I usually have a pump for the apta with me anyway. Pump up the can, blow out the saws, and pack them away.

went to the dentist, I go back for a ton of work next thursday
dropped some hangers from a black walnut at my house today, might go top the grass later IDK

bid a tree to help out a buddy, ~4ft DBH 70ft tall white oak, approx 50ft spread, 7.2KV single phase, 120/240 house drop running pole to pole, and catv/phone lines running through one side, 3 phase nearby on the other side, hollow in the trunk, got a crack all the way up the main stem and possible included bark holding the top 50ft up, leaning towards the neighbors house
only good part of it is the paycheck and bucket access, id crane it out but we cant get the crane that close to the wires
350708756_135794569509561_6321625278414629391_n.jpg
350843078_136151429429081_7629621009107000404_n.jpg
350771952_1980120488992562_4544035905467200829_n.jpg

If the power company would fix their pole you would have the distance needed to crane that out. Looks like a fun job

If the power company would fix their pole you would have the distance needed to crane that out. Looks like a fun job
the one 3 phase pole was leaned over, the single phase runs right through the tree
it being single phase, I could probably get the power company to come wrap it up for the day and send it but im not sure how legal that is, I know line wrap is an extra safety but im pretty sure it doesnt allow you to break MAD either by hand or by crane/load
only way to "make safe" the power here would be to stand that 3 phase back up, and have the single phase dis connected/grounded
un related, but google maps measuring tool says ~100ft spread on the canopy!

Last edited:
Did some brushcutting at the office. I haven't used that machine in a good while. Found a bunch of interesting trees I'm gonna try to protect til they get big. Left a bunch of wineberries cause wineberries are awesome, and they'll be fruiting soon. Good for the critters as well as me. I used my aspen fuel cause I haven't been using the cutters much, and I figured it would be better leaving that in the tank. I'm fairly impressed. Normal mix burns my eyes running the brushcutters, but the aspen gave me no problems. The work wasn't as aggressive as I usually get into with that, so that could be it, but I'm interested. I want to run a tank or two in one of my saws, to see what it's like really close to the exhaust. I want to say it even feels cleaner than normal premix. I'm sold, at least for using it as my backup fuel. A little spendy for general use since I'm usually running saws for fun.

Replaced rear hose faucets and inside valves for 2 different neighbors this morning. Went to a rural area close to home to auger a toilet. It is a horse farm with a stunning property and an early 1800’s farm house. Her handyman couldn’t clear the blockage but he stayed and hung out. We had great conversation. He wants me to look at some trees on his property.

Went to a tree customers house after work to install a rope swing in his white oak. His kids are gonna love it. It’s about 50’ up so there will be lots of travel.

We visited the local saw mill today.
They specialize in expensive architectural cuts of Doug fir and since we cut all the wood they get from the local State forest, I have often though about asking them for a tour of the mill.

They were more than happy to have us come by.

So my 5 person crew of custom fallers were shown around by the owner.
Fun to meet the sawyer who cuts our logs and I could tell it worked both ways.

Ended the day by topping 2 old, hazardous apple trees in a kindergarden.
Easy to top, a nightmare to get in the chipper, all crooked and gnarly.

Sorry, no pics.

ive got some cleanup to do from a dead tree that fell in my yard a while back, since im not being paid to do it im getting lazy but have to mow that area this week
making me want a branch manager rake, but dont want to spend over a grand on one...
anyone make a DIY rake for their BMG? im trying to think of what to use for the tines, I think the OG BMG rake used a stiff spring steel wire, maybe I can buy some off a spool or something, not sure tho

ive got some cleanup to do from a dead tree that fell in my yard a while back, since im not being paid to do it im getting lazy but have to mow that area this week
making me want a branch manager rake, but dont want to spend over a grand on one...
anyone make a DIY rake for their BMG? im trying to think of what to use for the tines, I think the OG BMG rake used a stiff spring steel wire, maybe I can buy some off a spool or something, not sure tho
Mick made a rake for his Avant a couple years back. You can buy the tines at Tractor Supply.

Attachments

• rake1.jpg
    rake1.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 8
  • rake2.jpg
    rake2.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 8
Mick made a rake for his Avant a couple years back. You can buy the tines at Tractor Supply.
you know, I didnt think to try out those tines
I might have my weekent project planned out, depending on what the bank says, and what work I do next week, dentist likes his money!

Back