How'd it go today?

Boss had a meeting this morning, and I hung around the office for awhile, then went home. It was raining in the morning, and though it had stopped by the time I left, it was still threatening a bit, and I didn't feel like spending the day in the office. Listened to a podcast when I got home, noticed it wasn't raining, so I shortened the grass. It really needed it with all the rain we've had, and it was in the 50s today, so it wasn't too unpleasant.

Put a bigger stick teepee around the Japanese maple. Leaves were starting to poke through the little one I had around it. I have a locust stick teepee around the chestnut stick. I'm hoping it comes back. I've wanted a chestnut for awhile, I was gifted one from who knows where, and the stupid deer frigged it up. I'm not used to dealing with deer. I don't really plant stuff. Things popup in the yard, and I either keep or cull it. Purposely putting something in the ground and protecting it isn't in my wheelhouse. I guess it is now. Everything gets a teepee :^S

Boring day of topo. Got startled twice by snakes. Once at work I was walking up a rubble pile, and a black snake I didn't see dove for cover. At home, I was cutting some stuff on the ground with a broken machete, and a garter snake popped out. I was afraid I hit it with the blade, but I'm pretty sure I missed it. He broke cover just in time.

That"s the first time I got this reason to top some trees: Some ashes blocked the path for a big tower crane on a construction site. It couldn't rotate its boom all the way around because the tip of its boom was wrecking the tops and limbs. A hospital (small size) is being rebuilt and the crane behind it covers all the area and more. Much more, as under the crane there was the building, a street, a parking lot and then the annoying trees, all that along a pretty sized slope.
I cut at about 63 feet, the boom fleed over my head at about 73 feet and the tallest top was around 80 feet. A little nerve wracking to see this big thing coming to wrestle with the limbs to show me the clearance needed while I was tied up there.
The op was clearly happy when I finished the job. He was rotating its boom at full speed over the trees to get to the next task, something he waited for weeks.
Let's try a pic, even if I missed the boom's tip and the slope doesn't appear much. Here, I'm just a bit under the boom's bottom, above my cuts. (I have to update the day setting on the camera, a tad off ) grue-vs-frenes.JPG

Speaking of cranes, there's an enormous one on the way to one of my jobs. Can't really get a pic cause I'm on an interstate, but a quick tally of the weights on the back says 200 ton. I think I counted ten 10 ton weights per side.

You guys have an 85/100 too, right?

Which crane does more treework, the 60 or the bigger one? I'm guessing 60 cuz it would seem to be the ultimate treework crane- crab steering, small footprint, good capacity, good reach

I had a wonderful and productive climb today and tested a number of hitches and further proved that my latest hitch, the "Knotorious" hitch, is truly special and highly effective.

If you want to read the full story, plus miscellaneous ramblings, here is the link to my post which describes everything in more detail...

The preview shows a different post.

4090 is the goto crane. 60 usually goes out when the 90 is booked. Alternatively, the 90 is a dayrate, the 60 is 4 hour minimum/hourly after that, so that can be a consideration. We try to get the 90 out, we almost always end up using the capacity.

The oldest would have been about an hour.
Do they come out with their eyes still closed like puppies do? I've always thought it would be cool to own a teacup pig. Doesn't get much more adorable than that. The pig in the first image has a look like,, "I can't believe they're making me pose with tiny booties on AGAIN!"

Teacup Pig3.jpg Teacup Pig.jpg

Do they come out with their eyes still closed like puppies do? I've always thought it would be cool to own a teacup pig. Doesn't get much more adorable than that. The pig in the first image has a look like,, "I can't believe they're making me pose with tiny booties on AGAIN!"

View attachment 129405View attachment 129406
They pop out like they have been practicing walking for months.

Eyes wide open.

Boss had percs, but said it would only be half a day, and he suggested I mill the cherry limb I dropped a month or so ago, and he said he'd pay me for it. I was thinking "WTF's he want cherry for?!", but I don't think he does. He just wanted me on site to do something later. He ended up calling, and saying percs were going badly, and he wouldn't be back in time to do anything.

I got five hours in milling wood. It didn't go very well. My ladder I usually use disappeared, and the new one I found was wider, and my supports didn't fit it right. It came apart at the end of the topping cut. A bit later, my bar slipped in the mounts and ran up against the chain. While dealing with that, I decided to remove the saw to sharpen it, and my chain was rocked pretty bad. Must have just happened as my bar slipped. Boss didn't move the wood gently, and there must have been dirt and rocks stuck to the bark. I didn't see it in the tall grass. The slabs I cut are usable, but mediocre. The worst I've done since I got an Alaskan mill. There's one or two sawable logs left. Dunno if they'll be slabs or firewood.

Brought firewood home, and put my plastic sand turtle out by the road with a [free] sign. I'm hoping it disappears. If not, it'll either go to goodwill, or I'll cut it up for recycling. Disappearing would be much easier.

Back