How'd it go today?

Wife came home and let out much bath water and said the pipes are gurgling. I ran downstairs to the basement bathroom and stepped in water. šŸ˜©šŸ˜”. Grabbed the sewer machine from the truck and cleared a soft blockage through the 3ā€ clean out about 30ā€™ down. Donā€™t know what caused it. Lots of bleach and washing towels tomorrow šŸ˜ž

Grabbed the sewer machine from the truck and cleared a soft blockage through the 3ā€ clean out about 30ā€™ down.
lucky you! got the machine and a cleanout
ok, not that lucky, playing with sewage sucks no matter how you do it

all of the times my septic tank has backed up into the house we had to hand dig the lid off the tank at 10PM, old concrete lid roughly 2ft x 4ft buried about 3ft down in red clay, they use a chain hoist anchored to a truck to lift the lid up far enough to clear out the blockage (grease plug was a big one)
culprit: roots in the leach feild

Wife came home and let out much bath water and said the pipes are gurgling. I ran downstairs to the basement bathroom and stepped in water. šŸ˜©šŸ˜”. Grabbed the sewer machine from the truck and cleared a soft blockage through the 3ā€ clean out about 30ā€™ down. Donā€™t know what caused it. Lots of bleach and washing towels tomorrow šŸ˜ž
Well, at least that stuff happens to a plumber and not just a random resident for a change.... not that I would wish it on you Mike.

lucky you! got the machine and a cleanout
ok, not that lucky, playing with sewage sucks no matter how you do it

all of the times my septic tank has backed up into the house we had to hand dig the lid off the tank at 10PM, old concrete lid roughly 2ft x 4ft buried about 3ft down in red clay, they use a chain hoist anchored to a truck to lift the lid up far enough to clear out the blockage (grease plug was a big one)
culprit: roots in the leach feild
Thatā€™s a pain to do every time! You can try dosing the leech field with Root-X IF it is approved/rated for that. No way to install a clean out anywhere in the system?

Thatā€™s a pain to do every time! You can try dosing the leech field with Root-X IF it is approved/rated for that. No way to install a clean out anywhere in the system?
I'd have to dig it all up for a clean out, got some of the field replaced a while back, irbibever have a problem again (grease plug was also a big one, house sitter used coconut oil in the bathtub fkr months on end) then I will probably put in a riser and cleanout right by the nearest outside wall, maybe 20ft from the tank, in the house the closes drain is through a wall and down a few 90s, about 50ft from the tank so a snake doesn't work well

I've been fighting toilets all winter. They don't refill all the way, then they won't flush. If I hold the handle down a little, I can get them to fill the bowl, and then they flush, most of the time. I hear a lot of gurgling in the sink traps, sometimes. Maybe I need to install a stack vent, but I've lived here for 12 years, and never had a bit of trouble.

I've been fighting toilets all winter. They don't refill all the way, then they won't flush. If I hold the handle down a little, I can get them to fill the bowl, and then they flush, most of the time. I hear a lot of gurgling in the sink traps, sometimes. Maybe I need to install a stack vent, but I've lived here for 12 years, and never had a bit of trouble.
Dave, Is it a problem with the water levels in the tank? Maybe a fill valve issue? Iā€™m willing to help you get to the bottom of it best I can by not being there. Can give you procedures to DIY repair it. Just PM me if you want.

dealing with a sore throat after burning a garden bed yesterday, gotta go back to bobs and pull this outrigger out for the third time (over extended it due to a lack of cribbing, and it something popped when I tried to retract it, truck stuck in the air on a job
I guess the outrigger got wedged in the tube since it went out too far (stupid design IMO) and either the cylinder rod got canted sideways due to the outrigger wiggling, or a seal blew when I pulled the lever up to retract it
gonna pressure test it out of the truck this afternoon, im thinking its the ORFS fitting on the lower end of the cylinder, borescope in the outrigger shows everything looks good, and reaching up in it the wiper seal feels alright
if it has to come apart im going to buy the tools and do it myself, cant trust that shop to get it right...
may as well pull the other outrigger out and rebuild it, since its leaking now too

Today kind of sucked. Spent all day cutting marks into concrete beamseats. Safety guy's been around a bunch, so I had to wear my fall arrest harness up there, even though you'd almost have to intentionally walk off the edge. It's pretty uncomfortable combined with my work belt.

Got home, and got laundry in before it got too wet(showers on the way home), went to inspect my new chestnut, and found the bastard deer pulled it out. I found it and stuck it back in the ground, but it's absolutely leafless, and though I'm no arborist, I'm pretty sure trees don't like laying over with their roots to the sky. It'll be a miracle if it lives. friggin' deer... If I catch one of those assholes, I'll spread it's entrails around my propertyline as warning to the rest of the pricks...

We worked in the cold rain all day. At some point the sun popped out to give us a glimmer of hope, but quickly turned back to rain.
First job was a broken off black cherry into a walnut. Was supposed to be climbed. I vetoed that and told the homeowner it was bucket or were leaving. It couldā€™ve been done on spurs but why take the risk when the truck can be matted in. Homeowner clean up on that. Then back over to the Y camp. We cleaned up the two trees I felled before my grapple broke last week. Wasnā€™t much fun since one was a soaking wet white pine. Bmg broom/rake didnā€™t like it, back pack blower didnā€™t either, so we raked. And raked. And raked.
I helped the carpenter hang ceiling in the new locker room for a few hours after we got back. It was interesting since itā€™s 14ā€™ up. I remembered that I donā€™t like ā€œbakerā€ scaffolding very much. Stopped and looked at a brush chipping and stump removal job up the street from my house. Guy says he plans on dropping two more trees before the weekend. One yes. The other will need topped out or itā€™s gonna hang up with the only way to roll is gonna put it on the house. Voiced my concerns but he had a climber friend coming to help him. What ever. I wasnā€™t there to give him advice on the removal so I didnā€™t press the issue to much. Told him good luck. Somewhat new neighbors so maybe he doesnā€™t know of me yetšŸ˜Ž.
It was a good day even though it was miserable and cold and wet.

Iā€™ve done a few trees for neighbor who turned into a friend. Then I did a few for his son, then a few for the sonā€™s neighbor, now looking at 15 trees for his sons father in law. Pluribus E Unum. (9) beechā€™s pruned away from structures and to 15ā€™ off the ground, large white oak deadwood, drop a large dead leaner in the wooded area, 2 large red oak removals (one rotten and the other hollow with a vertical crack), one large maple removal with defects, a medium sized mystery tree with holes, and a cherry blossom fixed. Customer cleanup!!!!! I donā€™t even have to rake!! They are some great people. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll get it as long as itā€™s not excessively priced. I hate trying to put numbers on trees. Such a delicate balance trying to be fair to both parties. May put an add/alternate price for a lift should one be needed for those red oaks. I wonā€™t be certain about climbing them until I climb them. The hollow one with the crack will require many truckers straps. The rotten one has solid heartwood down low.

He's a big boy. We don't really have girthy snakes like that around here. Black snakes get pretty long, but not that fat.

Back