How'd it go today?

It was the first time in 20 years that I was around some welding and wasn't the one burning rods! D'oh!

We borrowed that splitter from a friend so we could split some cottonwood to burn.

We have since switched to Doug fir slab wood from a sawmill over west.

It burns nice.

Propane man is mad at me for burning so little this winter.

We have had a fire burning since December when we got the stove.

Gone from 1500 a month during bad months to 400.

Got off work early, and decided to deadwood one of my young locusts. Didn't really get the main targets, which were a couple hangers in the tippytop. Wind kicked up and I got a little sketched out. The real goal was to try some of my new gear anyway. Not sure about the drenaline. Feels nice in-hand, but flattens out in the hitchhiker. Also very particular with hitchcord. The skinny ropes are more challenging anyway. I could throw whatever on my 1/2" km3 and it would work. I have to be more selective with the ~11mm lines.

If anyone cares, this is the worst damage on my bifröst bridge. A little bit of fuzzing...

IMG_20230405_155325095_HDR.jpg

I'd guesstimate I have 40hr on it. Not a ton of time, but it's something. Cover looks good everywhere, and nothing weird going on at the stopper knots. I think it makes a nice bridge.

I'm officially dreaming in tree climbing all the time. My dreams are non-stop showcases of how I should be and shouldn't be climbing. Mostly it's all positive and I'm learning a lot from them. It's as if my subconscious can't get enough of it...or maybe my conscious is spending too much time on it. I haven't decided which yet. That latter seems impossible at first glance. I once dreamt that I was testing out a V-Rig (aka M-Rig) with with Taylor Hamel. I was up in the tree filming him from a sprawling limb tied in SRT above one of his TIPs while he gave one of his friendly seminars. True story (of a dream). My dreams aren't usually that vivid. In fact, typically, I don't dream at all. But when I do, it's intense and i have to write it all down while I'm stile drowsy if I have any hopes of remembering what happened. Lately it just seems like every night.

Last edited:
I wish I remembered more of my dreams. The ones I remember aren't that great. They seem to be variations on real life, that are just annoying. Not fun or anything.

I've been pretty happy with the Phantom(same rope different color) for climbing. It's a little skinny is my biggest problem with it. I love my ½" km3 for climbing, but it's a heavy rope, and a hassle to manipulate in the tree when you have to cycle tens of feet through the branches. Definitely a fan of kernmantle rope though. I like the tight cover, and a little stiffness in the line. I have an all nylon rope at the office I *don't* care much for(why it's at the office). It's very stiff, and cables pretty bad after climbing on it. Just about have to fold it up when you take it out of the tree. Unfold it next time, and just push it up the tree to your TIP. No throwline! :^D

I just accidentally deleted my message @lxskllr . I was basically saying how the Yale Bifrost had great hand for a kernmantle and how i loved that and how i hadn't yet tried it SRS with my Rope Runner Rope, but I've heard it should work well.

So read this message before his above mine.

More storm work clean up today. Mini got some miles in. I did get to crane out a good sized silver maple to end the day though. Rain moved in just in time to drench us as we packed up the crane and raked.
Also I tried to register for an ISA class and found out my credit card expired last month. No new one has shown up so I guess I’ll need to call and find out what’s going on.

Oh my gosh..I gave myself a heck of a case of eye flash from taking those pictures.

Hope you guys liked em......because I sure paid for them last night!

Haha!
I think I saw a spare welding hood in one of them pics, no?
I look at my phone when taking welding pics, and cover up the pretty blue light with the screen lol
never got arc flash and im like a moth to a flame, hard to look away sometimes

I took the truck in for maintenance, ran an estimate, then to the hospital to see my wife’s grandmother who is headed home for hospice tomorrow. The blood supply to her small intestines has shut down and she has lost small intestine function. Then while we were there her grandpa was admitted to the ER with similar symptoms and is being held overnight. WTF! Her side is staying strong and stoic for the moment but that bubble will eventually burst.
It’s funny I was listening to my wife and her sister talking about how to meter the pain meds, and I’m like give her the meds by the handful and wash it down with a gallon sized brandy old fashion sweet. It told them if that were me I wasn’t dying sober and I am going to party. I want to hear laughter not crying as my last moments on earth. Anyway sorry to be a buzz kill.

That sucks man, I'm sorry. My sister was blessed with twins last night, they had to drag her in the hall for the tornado warnings, fortunately after they were delivered! Dropped off some Jimmy John's for her since she couldn't eat deli meat, good to be on the other side of the hospital food delivery thing for a change.

my newly rebuilt outrigger has started leaking again, been what 2 weeks?
gonna pull the float off tomorrow I hope, and see if its leaking from the fitting on the retract side, or if its from the seals (all new)
they messed the threads up, and had to re thread the tube I was told, im assuming they didnt make a larger gland nut and its leaking around the threads

im going to take a look tomorrow, if it is infact an issue with the bits worked on by the shop, then im going to see about getting my money back, and see about another company to fix it, or buy a lathe and do it myself

It could be the ever so slight difference between JIC and NPT thread.
the fitting on the retract side is an ORFS, all hard line and factory welded stuff
also being O ring seal should mean its got a little wiggle room and still seal right? say the hard line isnt a 100% match up in angle
and wow did that confuse me working on my chipper the first time, inside out JIC? who woulda thought, and are those tapered threads? WTF

nah, just pipe thread, still got the cone seal tho, hydraulics are weird man!

Uhhhhhhhh dunno exactly, but they look pretty identical in the pics so far! I think identical, but I'm not sure. She offered for me to come up and see them, but my family just got over having strep and everything so i took a rain check till they're home. This makes my sister's family 3 kids under 3, just saying that out loud makes me want to take a nap :lol:

Finished up a wetland location today. Required a death march to the back of the woods. The woods was attractive and clean. One setup was in a rock field. I like these, though I prefer boulder field...

IMG_20230406_085425295_HDR.jpg

Finished the day moving file cabinets in the office. Boss had a dumb scheme for getting them down the steps. It worked better than I expected, but it was sketchy as hell. If it didn't work perfectly, someone could have gone to the hospital. Those things are a couple hundred pounds each. I suggested the maasdam to lower it. Using that, there would never be a time it wasn't under 100% control.

I ran my first crane today, and drove a unimog!
other than that, got my outrigger cylinder out of the truck in under 3 hours, off to the shop tomorrow to warranty it, hope it goes back in quicker than last time, im no good crane operator but I think I can manage!

Back