How'd it go today?

Had to go back to the noisewall today. The points I had put in were moving around cause of the wet ground. I made some skinny hubs by splitting what I usually use by batoning my knife through them. I then drove them in sideways in the excavated embankment, and computed offsets to the holes. Those should stay without being disturbed.

Fired up my new saw today. Couldn't wait. I didn't want any surprises when I pulled it out to use it, and I just wanted to see it run. Ripping little saw. Seems like it might be a touch lean to me, but the limiters were fully rich. I pulled the high limiter, cut the ears off, and put it back. I then enriched it a smidge. I'll see what I think next time it's in wood. The other controls seemed good enough. I left them alone. So far my only complaint is the oil adjustment screw is kinda deep in the housing. I need an actual screwdriver to turn it. My pocket knives aren't long enough to fit, and the scrench is too big.

Only mod aside from the limiter cap was removing the spark arrestor. Not much gong on in the muffler. I could maybe embiggen the muffler inlet(?) and/or put a hole below the existing outlet, but there isn't much to do. I'll run it as-is for awhile and see what I think. I've been meaning to mod my 2511, but haven't made the time.

I thought it was a made up word. I like using made up words sometimes for fun, but spellcheck didn't say anything, so I did a search, and it's at least legit enough to be in the dictionary. New and informal, but perhaps one day the poets will be using it :^D

I went out in the rain to rig out a dying cherry. Looked at it through the rain drops and decided to send it. 2 to 1 to the mini and hit a tightish lay. Went perfect and saved me a lot of wet gear. Also saved everyone the misery of dealing with me when I’m wet and cold. The groundskeeper was happy so it was a win. The mansion owners only appeared in the windows long enough to video the tree being dropped.
Then off to hang out at Endor’s and listen to tales of glory from everyone that walked in to buy gear. It was a good day.

I hear ya re wet gear, not to mention wet treebilly.

Hey that's really cool the mansion owners hang at Endor's with the regular folk :headbang: ;):lol:

Yeah I could’ve worded that better. They don’t hang with us. Now the brother is pretty cool. When I worked at his place, he came out and talked. Checked out our gear, asking all kinds of questions.
They should stop at Endor’s though. They would have to drive by on their way to several of the steel plants that shares their last name.

ground a bunch of chains last night and chipped brush from the cemetery maple
got a few really nasty resin/sap covered chains so I threw one in a tray with some diesel to see what that does to clean it up and re lubricate it
I have a chain grinder stalagmite now!
hopefully they all actually cut, im new ish to the grinder and did all my dull chains but the last few I did worked great so fingers crossed
25* on mine, almost all hardwood

What does this mean?
metal shavings and grinding wheel particles built up on my chain grinder and mixed with any oil on the surface, like this one on a wall

fSpcd74NDPhbA7URQunaiCYDtUh8E6n-gjEr8tSun64.jpg

Interesting.

An exhaust fan/ lots of air moving away from your work area/ a respirator are probably smart ideas.

I get some similar build-up.

What kind of grinder is that?

Interesting.

An exhaust fan/ lots of air moving away from your work area/ a respirator are probably smart ideas.

I get some similar build-up.

What kind of grinder is that?
IDK what kind of grinder, pic stolen from google
mine is an oregon 620-120 I believe, hydraulic clamp chain grinder
I should probably have a fan going, I thought about setting up an air hose with a blower nozzle to blow a little air over the chain to keep the dust away

Nice you like your grinder, jc, why not hand file?

Nice you like your grinder, jc, why not hand file?
im shit at hand file, multiple people sharpening so angles get funky and the teeth get a round shape vs a "flat" cutting edge
also the grinder is faster, 20-30 seconds a chain vs 10 minutes, I swap chains out instead of sharpening on the job

I do hand file my square chains tho

Back