How'd it go today?

I wonder if that is a sign that American made and smaller scale is not economically competitive.
I don't know much about them as a company, but they struck me as a boutique business in a fairly niche sector. This stuff isn't sold in hardware stores or anything. They made their living doing something they liked, and now it's time to relax. IMO, it's better to get out at the top of your game, than keep the *name* going, but with no guarantee of continued quality(eg selling the name to to someone else).

I don't think there's any greater lesson here. There's money to be made on a small scale as long as expectations are kept realistic. There's still plenty of room for quality small scale manufacture as long as one doesn't expect to compete on the same monetary scale as the big guys. If you're making enough money to live, and doing what you enjoy, you're doing pretty well.

edit:
The original MonkeyBeavers were made by NewTribe, but they later started to be made in-house. I've never seen one, but I imagine some of the Onyx can be found in the MonkeyBeaver saddles.

Previously, yes. Currently, I think that I read (didn't verify) that they are from Monkey Beaver, directly.
That would be bittersweet, I suppose. I'd be excited to see what August and his saddle crew do flying solo as their own company. My instincts say positive results. Not because New Tribe wasn't great. Just because they taught him everything he needs to know to thrive on his own now. This could be very fortuitous for Monkey Beaver. Perhaps not at first, but eventually.

I reserve the right to be overly optimistic. I don't fully know the dynamics of the situation.

edit: I missed what you said, @lxskllr about them already being their own manufacturer. So that would be cool.

Last edited:
Not the funnest of days. Had to work along a hillside that for some reason was a swamp. Matted most of it. Snuck off to retrieve a piece and while backing up the bobcat mini just dropped. 4 blocks, 600’ of rope, and 2&1/2 hours later it was out. We will have to go back in the morning to finish chipping and retrieve the mats. Custom one truck or whatever their name is, is really pissing me off now too. New truck was supposed to be here just after new years and then all of the sudden it was waiting on a part. Two weeks ago they said it was ready for delivery. Friday they said it would be here by today. Email today said production was behind and it would be by the end of the month. Apparently they don’t keep track of their emails to see that they were caught in a lie several times.
On a happier note our third Vermeer 1800 in 15 months showed up today. Also booked a demo of their ctx160 for the end of next week. And I finally got my 650tx back together. I told the wife I wasn’t coming home till it was done. I clocked out at 9:44 pm.
Time for bed

Hot day response here today, 35c, 34% humidity later, blowing about 30kms, grasses fully cured....pre positioned strike team 6 extra trucks up in the next town, air support on standby, my Brigade on standby 10-30 mins response time for folks to get in from wherever they are..dry lighting in the forecast.
Fingers crossed, worst time period should be done by 6pm, four hrs to go.

@Bermy That post sounded like a few lines out of a Jack Ryan (or insert your favorite modern spy series here) novel or a scene from the new series. Organized but intense. At least it sounded that way to me. Read it with an intently voiced narration, heavy pronunciations, and theatrical emphasis and pauses. "Strike team 6" might as well be Seal Team 6. "Air support on standby," do you copy ghostwriter? Comms are a go. Over and out. Your day sounds exciting (to me)!

Last edited:
My day is going alright. Busy trying to prepare for a test at the DMV. I haven't had to study for anything in so very long and simply sitting still is proving to be just as hard as memorization. I fried my brain a great deal between my last scholastic experience a decade or so ago and now. It's been a challenge so far, but my self discipline is rapidly improving. I'm so used to doing things with my hand and my mind simultaneously that, now that I'm forced to just sit with my mind and focus on improving that aspect alone, in a way that has been unusual for me for so long, has highlighted a lot of points worth noting insofar as self-discovery. I hope that makes sense. I sometimes overcomplicate things, which is a challenge unto itself.

I had my rotator cuff surgery today. They used a "blocker" to freeze it which lasts up to 36 hours so I can barely twitch my fingers ATM. Became conscious for the last ten minutes which contained some sharp hammer strikes, drilling(?), and stitching of the incisions which the anesthesiologist said were "superficial" and not included in the blocker.(Hurt like Hell ) There was also cold splashing water which I guess they blast into the shoulder to create some space to work.

3 weeks in a sling with some pendulum swings of my hanging arm as the only allowable movement. Then start some physio. As a lifetime worker outer I'm quite intrigued with the whole rehabilitation process. Gonna be a long one mind you...

I had my rotator cuff surgery today. They used a "blocker" to freeze it which lasts up to 36 hours so I can barely twitch my fingers ATM. Became conscious for the last ten minutes which contained some sharp hammer strikes, drilling(?), and stitching of the incisions which the anesthesiologist said were "superficial" and not included in the blocker.(Hurt like Hell ) There was also cold splashing water which I guess they blast into the shoulder to create some space to work.

3 weeks in a sling with some pendulum swings of my hanging arm as the only allowable movement. Then start some physio. As a lifetime worker outer I'm quite intrigued with the whole rehabilitation process. Gonna be a long one mind you...
Take it easy so you don't snap a tendon, it can happen. I'd gradually work up to full strength over a year.

Speaking as someone who just recovered from a surgery ordeal of his own, @Ryan, I wish you the best. It's important to stay busy, but within the limitations set by your doctor of course. Idle minds do bizarre and unpredictable thing which are often undesirable. At least that was my experience. I had to stay in bed for nearly two months; couldn't sit down. Sounds like you'll be much more ambulatory, but still unable to do things I was able to do. It will likely test your patience at times, but maintaining that patience - focusing on the long game - is what will ultimately render a successful and positive outcome through healing. Plenty of vitamins, plenty of protein and use some kind of highly dense salt rinse on it. Maybe even by some Chlorhexidine wash at your pharmacy (4% is what you want/sold on shelves, not behind counter) and, if your doctor agrees, use that three times a week in the shower once you're able to shower and that will prevent it from getting infected. Just some thoughts. Best of luck.

EDIT: The wash is often called Hibiclens, though, there are generics. It's with the antiseptics.

@Ryan, In order to use it, you do your regular shower routine first, and then you use your hands to get excess water off of your skin so it's as dry as possible but still moist (ew, hate that word), and then you put the Chlorhexidine wash all over your body and let it sit there for 10-15 minutes. Try to open the shower curtain or door so that it circulates air so that the Chlorhexidine becomes dry and crystalline almost. Then wash it off. Let it sit on your skin in the places you need it the most as best as possible, but as previously mentioned, it doesn't have to be all on there, just a film, but wash off the rest. Then dry off. And contrary to some belief, it will not destroy the natural bacterial flora on your skin in a harful way.

It can be used on wounds of course, so don't be shy. It doesn't burn or hurt either. It's rather benign despite how much work its doing at the microscopic level.

They also make Chlorhexidine wipes, which are cloths with the chemical on it, that you can use anytime, but they are more expensive and rarely available at pharmacies.

Full name of the compound is Chlorhexidine Gluconate 4% and it normally comes in the form of a hypoallergenic soap used for pre-op and post-op surgery procedures to thwart against infection. Some bacteria are killed instantly, while others require the "marinating" process as I like to call it haha

Whether or not you use it is up to you. Just trying to be helpful because it doesn't really say on the instructions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind. Changed the dressing today. The tape they used was super strong and hurt to pull. Poor baby. Freezing is wearing off and I'm starting to look at the T3's.

Back