How'd it go today?

Finished work early, and did some milling. I really dislike milling, but I'm getting a routine down, so it's halfway smooth, but still tedious.

View attachment 126894

Boss had our tree company client give an estimate a week or so ago. He said if I had bucked it to 8.5' he could have taken it to the mill. I did 8'. Who knew someone would take white pine!? Well, now I know. I bucked it for my use, but in the future I'll do 8.5' just in case.
Milling is a love/hate kinda thing it seems. It’s what lead me though. Glad to see you got to be outside with a saw.

White pine was a huge deal when America was being settled by the British. White pine was an extremely important export. The crown actually made it illegal for a colonist to cut and keep any white pine over a certain size if I recall correctly. The white pine was the symbol of choice for one of the early colonial flags

They liked them for ship masts. Tall, straight, and light I guess were what made them interesting. I don't know what you'd use it for today. Pretty light duty wood. I want it to knock stuff together quick, but I wouldn't want to build anything good out of white pine.

Bermy what is Bowen therapy?

Sean, looks palatial to me. I stayed in several way-worse spots on the way up :|: :rockhard:

My cats are assholes. They frig with their water bowl and spill water everywhere. I was in the bathroom at the other end of the house, and I heard the water bowl sliding on the floor. I yell out "Stop friggin' with the water bowl!" and they stopped friggin' with it. They know what I'm saying, they know I don't like it, but they do it anyway. I always have water spilled on the floor, and they never have water to drink. There's a solution here somewhere...

My idea I haven't implemented yet is to make a wooden triangle that fits the bowl tight, then screw it to a bookcase I have next to the feeding station. I tried a plastic tub tacked to case with the bowl in it, and that worked for awhile, but they figured out if they plucked the edge of it, they could spill their water, so it was like not having a tub at all :^S

Skye does the water bowl thing.

Our cats tried to make their own personal beach today.
About 10 pounds worth.
View attachment 126900
Maybe it's their way of telling you to clean the boxes.

I don't know, but maybe the cats spill the water as they try to scratch for more. Especially if they have ever eaten out of a self dispensing hopper food bowl, they learn to scratch fresh kibbles out to avoid the older ones.

Bowen is a type of massage that focusses on the fascia and connective tissue more than just muscles. She finds where things are stuck either from acute injury and healing or repetitive movement. She also finds the bits that have started to spasm in response to the injury in an attempt to still hold you up and protect the injury.
You'll have to Google it to really get a good description.
Works for me!

My highlight today was seeing a northern flicker in my backyard when I got home. I was sitting inside, saw the bird, but it didn't connect with birds I expect to see on the ground. Finally figured it out, and it surprised me. I looked them up, and ground feeding is known trait. I've never seen one that wasn't in a tree.

I asked the boss if he was interested in any milled pine. He said no, but he wants an oak plank for a desk in the stables. I'll mill some planks out of my fail tree I dropped last year. Any tips on keeping it from warping/cupping? It'll be 5'x2.5'x2"

I had a pretty uneventful day today. I went to a much needed doctor’s appointment; nothing serious; the prognosis is good. It was raining again, which is relaxing to listen to now that I’m back home. I’ve been spending a lot of time studying for the written portion of the driving test I must take soon.

I also took some time to update my positions for various equities and cryptocurrencies. It’s an ongoing thing for over a year now; I paper trade for the moment, which means I’m not actually risking any real capital. It helps me experiment with new strategies and simply see how I would fare since it’s otherwise exactly like trading in the real, live markets. I did well during the last bull cycle for crypto (with real capital), but the market has been bearish (mostly talking about crypto, but equity markets aren’t ideal either as a whole) for a while and quite volatile in undesirable ways. Arguably a good time for making SOME buys while everything is so low. That doesn't mean buy everything or anything, though. Something undervalued with a good amount of trade volume and good technicals.

I like to practice performing technical analysis on stocks/crypto symbols as well as fundamental analysis. I’m actually quite good at the former, but not terrible at the latter by any means. I used to spend much more time on this than I do now. My hobbies and interests tend to be transient. Now I mostly use my free time to make content for my YouTube channel. But I’m starting to burn out a little on that and I’m realizing I should have spaced my videos out way more because I used up a lot of quality content too quickly and before I had the relative popularity I do now. Kind of a big mistake, but I guess I was just really pumped.

I’m even burning out on inventing hitches. There’s really only so much that can be done before it starts getting repetitive or unrealistic. I do believe that there are still some winners out there for me to discover, but the intensity is fizzling right now. I won’t force it. It will come when it’s ready. I think my new hobby will be to just work my ass off and maybe just use free time to eat and to talk to my girlfriend.

Last edited:
Yea, that sucks. I really like my Onyx saddle. They're still sold here and there for anyone that wants to get in on the last available. I wouldn't dawdle though. I doubt there's huge stocks anywhere.

Back