How'd it go today?

Forgot. I was on a job earlier this week. Guy owns a tree company, and he's subdividing his property. Boss said he's in his 70s, and still working in the field. I think they do everything, but are more into lot clearing than arborist type stuff. Hoping I get to meet him before the job's done. I thought it was cool he's stayed in the game.

Since I'm still laid up after my testicle operation and it was the last day of work before the x-mas holiday, we decided that just saying Hi and going home would feel wrong.
So the crew came to my place, spent ½ day cutting a row of 50 Viburnum opulus that I planted 25 years ago down and chipping them.
and converting 2 rolls of sawchain to 45 20" chains.
Then we sat down to coffee , cookies and x-mas presents and talked about how the past year has been.
Nice way to end the working year. 20221224_120919.jpg

Last edited:
To get some light into the greenhouse and vegetable garden.
Both are just out of the picture on the right side.
They will resprout, which is why they were cut knee high.
They had grown way too high.
The 4th tree in the picture is a red oak.
Before we took them out, you couldn't see it was a tree, just part of the bushes.

Last edited:
Not worth it for firewood? Around here most hedge type trees make great firewood, i assume that's not the case with those?

It is toward the east, most hard winds here are from West.
We sure cut everything that was thick enough for firewood.
With Putin's war and the ensuing high prices on natural gas, firewood is high priced now.
So is biomass, so the forests here are doing a good business right now, thanks to the crazy Russians.

Managed to do my & both my sister's drives as well as the neighbors (they usually just shovel) plus the three mailboxes with the snow thrower.

Didn't have face covered & ended up taking two warming breaks...otherwise it went well.

This "storm" wasn't as bad as the last snow we had. Hardly worth all the hullabaloo.
I'm thinking a lot of people just wanted a longer Xmas weekend :/:

Time for breakfast... :)

I ventured outside for a bit. Shouldn’t of though. Had a few sheets blow off of my firewood bins so I decided to recover them. Got one on and as I was picking up one of the blocks I had on top of it the damn wind decided to toss it back off. Looked up in time to get clocked in the jaw. Ended up ten feet away and a nice gash on my jaw line right by my ear. Sheets are laying in the yard and can stay there till Monday. I’ve got a pounding headache and lost most of my sense of humor for the day. Should make this evening with the mother in law a real great experience

Yea, you already had those days off though. A day off work is the consolation prize for messing yourself up. This just screwed up the days off you already had. Feels worse to me.

Gave Spot her jul gift. Last year was a jul eve feeding. Tonight was extra special. I found a can of cat food that I had for my old girl, and warmed it up on the woodstove. Seems to be enjoying it.

So, I’m pretty upset with my sister and cousins. Our 5 year old has had a low grade fever and a little over the past few days. Fever gone since this afternoon. Cousins don’t want any of my family at our aunts home tonight for fear their kids will get something and they are traveling Tuesday. My sister and brother in law don’t want to be around us at my parents Christmas morning for our traditional breakfast because they don’t want their kids to get anything. My mom is upset over all of this. We’re discussing going to my parents in shifts.

When did we become so fearful of a cold?! No one has any immune issues. We’re sissies and we’re encouraged by the “news” to be fearful. I’ll get over it and it will work out but it’s ridiculous.

Wishing to not become sick or wanting to avoid having sick kids does not seem like fear to me. Seems logical.

It never ever has pleased me to be in a gathering and have an obviously ill adult or child coughing and sneezing and dribbling a runny nose all around.

I don't fear colds, I just dislike being sick.

John's suggestion seems like an appropriate middle ground.

They are not amenable to the mask. He’s been better since this afternoon though. I don’t know, if I heard the same news from a nephew I’d gather without worry. Especially on such an important holiday.

Back