How'd it go today?

Forgot. I took this pic in my front yard. It's a pin oak bush! I cut it down last year cause it was a terrible place for a pin oak, and it's rebounded in it's own weird way. I'll play with it. I really like the idea of a pin oak bush, but I'm not sure what I can do to keep it bush-like.

As for today... Boss took off to take his girlfriend to the doctor, so I stayed home. Got a few groceries, and spent $380 at the liquor store. I'm already up to 220# for winter weight, and it's still early. Too much stollen :^D

IMG_20221208_133816741.jpg

We have the homemade apple cider vinegar traps out. They are working but not fast enough for the wifey. Mine sound a little different from what you described though. I’ll make one like you suggested because it may work better.
Foam up the soap occasionally, so they just touch a bubble and fall in. I also use a bug zapper racket over the traps to get the ones that just sit on the rim. I prefer Zap Master The Original Electric Hand Held Bug Zapper because it seems a bit more powerful than the knockoffs, and it has enough room in the handle to fit a lot of extra capacitors. Then I top it off with Ultimate lithium AA batteries since they have a higher voltage (up to 1.8v). It has enough power to both zap gnats and kill them. Most zapper rackets won't zap small gnats, and it they do, they just stun them for a couple hours.

Why not simply trim it regularly?
That's the idea, but I'm not sure how it'll workout in practice. It'll really be pushing against it's nature. We'll see. New territory for me, and zero risk, so it'll be interesting.

Fire dept just came through the neighborhood again. Sirens and horns blasting, and Santa riding on the back. I guess it's cool for the kids, but it's a lot of noise and flashing lights. Stresses me out.

edit:
What I got from the liquor store...

IMG_20221216_191405348_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Did a fun job today. Two hung up ash and some leaning bean pole cherries. One ash snapped off at the ground and I just walked it backwards with the mini. Second and much larger ash broke about 12’ up and was hung up pretty good. Had to set some rigging lines and the bucket was able to reach enough to piece out till we could lower the broken spar. Then the fun cherries. Guy that looked at the job assured the homeowner the bucket could reach. Apparently we must own some monstrosity like ACE has down under that I don’t know about and they forgot to give me. I climbed the bigger one and Cam did the other. Remote tie ins for both. I had the fun of needing to rig my top out. I was actually a bit disappointed with the amount of ride I got. Wasn’t one bit exciting. Glad I’m a way because the tree was pretty compromised. Only an inch of sound wood all around at the base. I knew it was hollow but didn’t think it was that bad. Should’ve done a bore I guess.
Finished the day off with taking the kids to see Santa and picking up some pizza on the way home.
Also I’m in a great mood because I have 3 days of work next week and then I’m off for 11 days. Use it or lose it on PTO so I’m using it. 😎. I actually might have to double dip on one day. Just found out I might be picking up a brand new bucket truck in Virginia that week.

Had to bail out of the armpit and drive out to retrieve Junior for winter break. 860 solo miles out to Peru, Illinois in 13.5 hrs with 2 20 min stops. Waved at Big Al, Treebilly and Fiddler today, and will sling a drive-by hello to Kyle and Rajan tomorrow en route to Ames.

I've never had that kind of stamina. I don't like driving, and it makes me sleepy. After a day of that, I feel like I did more work than I do when I do real work.

Got some kumquats yesterday. I really like those. I think I'm gonna get a tree and try growing them. Should survive here, but perhaps not thrive. Looks like Lowes has them, but I don't know if they have them here and now. I need to check.

Did some snow throwing around noon. Heavy, packy. Had to stop & clean out the machine twice.

Can't tell I did any now, so probably hit it all again in the morning.

Made a nice path in the field for little short Dash to get to a tree or two for "watering". Little fart took off bounding through the drifts all the way to the back of the property to take a crap. :lol: :|:

After waking up in a panic thinking I overslept on a work day I calmed down and made my normal Sunday breakfast and added biscuits and gravy. Then I went to tractor supply and picked up a new valve for the log splitter. My brother told me he had replaced all the o-rings and it still was leaking. Also said that inside the cap it looked like I filled it with anti-seize. That’s what aluminium and hydraulic oil looks like when they mix. Then stopped at my parents and picked out a few oak boards from my stash and the biscuit jointer. Got home and thank the lord my brother showed up with the splitter. The wife and kids decided to bake cookies and it was a disaster when I walked in. We took refuge in the garage. Drained the oil, changed the valve, and new filter. Now I’m pretending to be messing with the fire while they clean up the kitchen. Also in the midst of all the chaos my wife forgot to start the Chile so it looks like I’m making burgers for dinner. It’s been a glorious day😎

Getting a bald spot myself Jim. It was brought to my attention when I was doing some work and took off my helmet. I suspected as much, but didn't know for sure. I don't spend much time looking at myself in the mirror. Nothing good can come from that :^D

Routine day. Got back from the first job, and the engineer couldn't get his computer to turn on. I ate lunch, and took a look at it. Dead psu. I pulled one out of one of my computers I had laying around, installed it, and everything started up fine. Took about 20 minutes altogether. I billed 3 hours. Some for my time, expertise, and the emergency nature, and some for my top quality psu I used in an old ass computer.

Back