How'd it go today?

Jerry, any idea how it happened?

I take it you didn't get the memo....don't get old :rockhard: :rockhard:

Please. Someone. Help me understand. Please.

I guess one thing I have trouble grasping is how a guy could step up to that within the time frame of a biz he started. If he was 2nd or 3rd gen and worked up to it, I'd understand it alot more. But the overarching wherewithall to start a tree biz at some point and then some years later (but not decades later) have that machine parked in your own beautiful shop. Well, let's just say, he and I have very different approaches, and believe me I'm complaining not bragging doh!

And as I've mentioned before about crane work, it is so relatively fast and easy that perhaps the only thing a tad more incredible than a tree biz owning that crane is the salesmen that are keeping it fed, and the leaders that are keeping the crews working with it.

#smallfryhere

Last edited:
How big of an LZ do you guys have to work with? That 30 tonner I worked with took some pieces almost too big for the landing. I know reach and chart have everything to do with it but still.

That’s being efficient Cory. I’d rather not have to wait on the ground crew to clean up. Now if they seem to be having to much free time, I’ll pick bigger.
Spent this morning in the class room and the afternoon with the knuckle boom. Made a nice balanced 2000# pick on a dead ash. A bit windy for my liking but we beat the rain. Nice lightning storm now.

Work has been slow the past week. They didn’t have a first call for me so I took off today. Working on modifying a 350 acrylic fish tank and turning it into a terrarium.

Akimbo came today!!! Because massive amounts of stupidity have been shed over the years (still quite a bit left) I’m going to read the 48 page instructions and then practice/dial it in at low altitude.

Feels like Christmas morning when I was 10 yrs old!!

Attachments

• 40AB9F74-72F8-4A58-AC61-4F22B548489E.jpeg
    40AB9F74-72F8-4A58-AC61-4F22B548489E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 82537ED4-ADF6-4576-A831-D01500F94E19.jpeg
    82537ED4-ADF6-4576-A831-D01500F94E19.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
Got it dialed in to the Hyperclimb within 10min. It’s extremely intuitive. Been practicing with it in the Japanese maple. It’s the best device IMO so far. Got to use Pigwot’s for some rope walking and loved it. Now it’s being tested horizontally and it’s great! Love the quick release chest
harness clip.

Got my cordless benchgrinder out, and sharpened my felling and splitting wedges. I wasn't going for perfect, just good enough. I have a Chinese splitting wedge I found that was all but unusable. Couldn't get it started. I'm hoping I removed enough material to make it work. Interestingly, it was the sparkiest wedge. Not sure what that means.

IMG_20220402_160526.jpg

I’ve never seen such a device, John!!

Never thought about grinding on the plastic wedges. Not a bad idea to get extra life after making contact with the chain a few times.

The wheel on the grinder is a little too aggressive for plastic, or any kind of fine work, but it works ok. It came with the grinder, and I haven't seen enough of a need to change it out. If you grind your plastic wedges, note that they can make a lot of fumes that probably isn't too good for you. I'd do it outside if at all possible.

Flap wheel on a 4 1/2 " grinder for the win on plastic wedges. Oh, and NEVER try to cut a plastic wedge on a miter saw...just take my word for it! :/:

Back