How'd it go today?

Raining it's ass off today. Another deluge, and I've got the makings of a creek going in the yard, but still not as bad as earlier this year.

Forgot... I saw my first spotted lanternfly this weekend. I was walking out of TacoBell, and saw it on the sidewalk. I thought "Holy shit!", and then I squished it. I usually leave critters of all kinds alone, but spotted lanternfly... I'd have liked to have looked at it more closely, but then I'd have risked letting it escape. Not that one bug matters much in the grand scheme of things, but principles, ya know?

Unless you have got an electron microscope you have probably never seen a cold virus or a bacteria that causes pneumonia. But those no seeums can definitely put you in the hospital. EABs be out there so I hear.

I know I've seen green beetles around here on occasion, but I'm not sure which kind. I try to step on them just in case. It looks like a lot of the green ones are bad anyway.

Attachments

• 1632442500754.png
    1632442500754.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
They are really neon green, i think I've maybe seen one. Their wake of destruction is impossible to miss, there's still dead trees everywhere here. The ash die off, the declining mature accent trees planted by landscapers far too close to the house, and urban sprawl are the main reasons for the tree business going wild lately.

Broke a couple of those cast concrete stepping stones in a garden moving the chipper in.

Client is unusually narky about it (I really should have lifted and moved them beforehand)

Says if I can’t find the exact same I’ll have to replace all 30 of them.

First place has them but in the wrong colour, second place has the right colour but wrong shape.
Third place in stock, right colour and shape, 11 bucks for the two which means I can give the client the bill for €2300.

In your face uncaring universe!

Went to the city job today, Technically another one. We're monitoring two buildings down for movement, There's the new building, the old one that's condemned, then another old one we're watching. Here's a little history of it...

the front step of the condemned one. About a 6" break in the marble...

20210924_100316.jpg

The one we're watching now(white facade)...

IMG_20210924_112639.jpg

Well, it all started with the new construction. I don't know what the condition was of the building they tore down(where you see the new steel), but they were all pretty old, and I'm guessing reached a certain equilibrium. When the building was removed, and they jostled the ground with construction, the building next to it started collapsing. Hopefully the white building will fare better.

You should see the inside of this place(white facade), with the understanding it was made as someone's private house(it's now offices). Marble stairways, mahogany wood, ornate brass or bronze latticework under the stair banisters, and an ornate ceiling that might be considered "a little much" in an opera house. Not to mention the huge marble fireplaces. Incredible building.

The one that's collapsing doesn't look bad inside either. I'd love to get in there before it comes down. Not nearly as fancy as whitey, but still well made and classy from what I could see. Low key luxury.

Lotta work :^P

I didn't take any pictures cause it doesn't look like much, but I cut and hauled 11 6'-8' logs out of the woods on my work job. Most of the time was spent working my hauling system. If I had a crew, we could have knocked it out pretty quick. I took my 362 to do the cutting. I really like that saw, and don't get to use it much. Seems like I'm always running a damned poulan. Cutting usually comes up at work, and if it's too big for my 2511t, the poulan does it.

The steel core served its purpose then.

I have done the same. One time very very bad, and I fell.

I was lucky, though, fell only about 10 feet. Landed on my butt. picked myself up off the ground and thought WTF did I just do?

Yeah, I reached around the backside of the trunk to cut a dead stub. My lanyard was in the way. I wasn't tied in, and I didn't have a steel core.

3 things I should not have done. Not tied in, no steel core and cutting blind. Nearly cost me my life. Surely would have if I was higher up. But then you never know for sure about those things.

OK, your turn.

The wire gives it a nice stiffness and makes it easier to send up the stem. Add in the safety factor, why not? That said, I'd like to make myself a flipline out of ⅝" Treemaster. I think that would be a nice performing line with good hand feel.

Back