How'd it go today?

Boss leaves for vacation for a week. We shall see how many people are left when he gets back. Not a bad day or week even. Just getting fed up with a lot of people and there BS.
On a positive note. I just saw a dozen plus bats flying around my property. Thank heavens. I had to make the kids go in because the skeeters were trying to carry the boy away. Swear I seen him floating for a brief moment

Forgot, I also got paid today. Mostly anyway. I got the last four checks, but boss didn't have enough money for this week's check. Money inflow's been slow, so it got put off. That's fine(ish). I could go years without a check, but it's a little less fun working and not seeing anything come from it.

This isn't a "normal" company. We're tiny, and I've been here forever. Shit happens, and sometimes money comes in slow. I'm sure you all have had that. Kind of the nature of the business. You do the work, and some people don't want to pay. Meanwhile, you've still got all your day to day expenses that are required to keep things going. I'm not worried about it. He's good for the money unless everything goes tits up, then I guess we'd both be out some money. That's the way it goes. Life sucks, and sometimes suck more than others.

I wouldn't be so fine with it with other places. It all depends, ya know? You make a best effort, and I'll make a best effort, but try to frig me over, and we'll have real problems. It's all about intent.

I work for small outfits too sometimes, but to even do business they have to have bonds to pay wages and benefits. If they can't, the bonds gets pulled immediately. Different work, but that's usually how in goes in heavy construction, and is usually a requirement to even bid work around here, especially on government work like roads and waterway restoration, schools, etc. Glad he's been good to you tho, and you're not in a bind.

I spent the day doing a weld repair in a ditch, with hot condensate rolling out and filling the trench. It was cooler today, but i didn't know because i was basically streaming/boiling myself lol. Tree tomorrow weather pending, we got a bunch of rain last night, and I'm using a lift so we'll see what tonight does.

Of course it’s your call and everything, but in tree work it works like this.

There is a deal in play In these matters.
You don’t earn as much as the guy who’s contract it is, but you get paid on time every time.
He gets paid a lot more than you but he has the extra hassle of organizing the job and maybe waiting for payment.

If he can’t build up enough capital to cover you whilst waiting for them.
1. He’s not charging enough.
2. He’s breaking the deal.

Finally tapped out on a job at work today. I've done a lot of dumb stuff for this outfit, trying to be a hero/team player. Did it all week and kept asking myself "why?" Started thinking and acting irrationally yesterday (mentioned suicide at one point)and finally had my moment of realization today. Gave the foreman straight up honesty without the dramatics. He took it well but didn't have much choice anyway.

I miss working for a tree service when the biggest headache you have is some old bag bitching that you didn't trim her bush down far enough.

Sounds like you had your line in the sand way too close to catastrophe. Good on you for getting out of there. Re-position that line in YOUR favor, not some boss's.

Reactions: Raj
Eating my veggies from the bottom up.
When we put in the raised beds, we had to place stainless steel netting under them to keep the little pests from digging their way under them and destroying everything.

I have to put a barrier of stainless steel netting 2 feet down around the poly tunnel because they keep tunnelling in and killing my melons.

Over the last 25 years I've lost over 30 fruit trees to them.
Came out one morning and my Belle de Boscoop apple was horizontal.
They had gnawed every root off of it and only left a bare knob the size of my fist.

I got back from logging yesterday and found out that the Water Vole shooters work exceptionally fine.
We had them in 4 different places in the garden and in the 4 days I was gone, my wife has managed to kill them all off.
Not a single new "Volehill" to be found.

She has been setting conventional traps for the last 7 years with virtually no effect, then in 4 days.......Ausradiert!

Just got a call from my brick guy. I've been helping him since his help quit. He said he had a guy he thought about bringing but the guy has health issues. He jokingly said he might rent an AED and bring him anyway. He pulled off my job yesterday to go pour some cement for that guy's son. The guy was there helping pour and fell out and died on the spot. Fifty-eight years old....:( I am terribly sad to hear it, but equally glad he didn't die in my yard.

Found a new ride today. Or should say, bought it and drove it home. Was listed damn near in the Bay area. I had a shoot half way there. Katy went with and then off to look see. Liked and bought. Ill get some shots tomorrow in light. Looks like a twin of the one that burned with few differences, lower mileage and decent shape. Been a long day...

Back