How'd it go today?

We got a call 3 days ago, could we log 200 cubic meters of Doug fir in a hurry.
Local mill needed it fast.
So we pull 4 guys out of another logging site to start the job today.
Late yesterday I got a call from the forester, the guy from the mill hadn't marked the trees yet.
Man, was I pissed off.
That must have been pretty obvious, because today as we put everybody on our bat nesting cavity project instead, the forester came out and said they had found an area, that we could just clearcut instead.
So monday we will have to hustle like mad to get those trees on the ground, since the rest of the week is booked up solid.

Nice day today, pictures are in the working pics thread.
The apprentice was pretty happy, yesterday we told him that his felling was going great and gave him a $10/hr raise when we log.
Sure put a smile on his face.

How are your dogs working out Jim? I may have forgotten you saying, but are any of them herders?

They are working well now.

We call em guard dogs....but they could be called herders too I guess.

They will herd the sheep away from danger first.

Attacking as a last resort.

The two white pups are sorta...maybe starting to show some instinct.

Our English Shepherds are also picking things up too.

This is a fun and exciting new turn we have taken. Lots to learn about with the sheep and dogs.

Putting them on grass for the first time today.....is terrifying.

I really like watching the dogs work. The sheep herding competition was one of my favorite events at the Highland games.

Why is that terrifying? I have no idea how that works.

Prior to today we had the sheep locked in the corrals.

Now they are on grass...the predators have easier access!

Also....sheep have been known to do dumb things when left to their own devices.

Like sending kids to college I assume...

We got a call 3 days ago, could we log 200 cubic meters of Doug fir in a hurry.
Local mill needed it fast.
So we pull 4 guys out of another logging site to start the job today.
Late yesterday I got a call from the forester, the guy from the mill hadn't marked the trees yet.
Man, was I pissed off.
That must have been pretty obvious, because today as we put everybody on our bat nesting cavity project instead, the forester came out and said they had found an area, that we could just clearcut instead.
So monday we will have to hustle like mad to get those trees on the ground, since the rest of the week is booked up solid.

Nice day today, pictures are in the working pics thread.
The apprentice was pretty happy, yesterday we told him that his felling was going great and gave him a $10/hr raise when we log.
Sure put a smile on his face.
I absolutely despise working with folk that don’t mark the trees ahead of time ... Then u gotta jack rod / waste time

Any well trained dog is a pleasure to watch.

Mostly I have seen farm dogs and gun dogs. But a friend of my dads breeds Newfie’s another friend Pyrenean Mountain dogs.

The Newfie’s when they in water are something else. Water trials, towing boats.

Back