How'd it go today?

Drizzly and foggy this morning, as John mentioned; burned off and dried up by 1pm. Dropped and cut up five dead trees for a friend today at his shore house on the Elk River (off the Chesapeake Bay) and climbed two old black locusts to deadwood them.
I took that 290 Farm Boss I bought at the auction. His saw wouldn't start (after sitting in the shed for a year; I brought it home to get it cleaned up and running for him), so he ran the 290, and at the end of the day bought it. Which is good, as the 19 all-orange saws in my shed were giving the bi-color one the evil side-eye :lol: .

This is the living room looking out toward the river. Those large beams came from houses torn down in the early 1970s in our town. Back then I often got to the demolition sites and spoke to Inky Wilson, the boss. His crew would disassemble a house and maximize saving the usable materials. He'd let me have such beams, as he didn't like moving and storing them.
One day I got there, and he said, "Sorry Pat, the father and son out back got these". That is when I met this fellow and his father; this is the house they built, finished back in 1975.
They had an eye for art, and thus the windows were done like a Mondrian painting.
30HarrysLane.jpg

Lovely!

I finally got my hand operated on today, so I'm back to pecking one handed at the keyboard, like a blind chicken looking for grains in a gravel pit.

The nerve was VERY irritated, which shows it has been under a lot of pressure since the break changed the configuration of my carpal bones.
Good news, because that means that most likely, the operation will work.

Last edited:
You won't believe the amount of typos, I've cleared out of my posts since my accident.
Usually from hitting two letters at once and not noticing. I've spent more time proof reading than writing.
Pecking everything out with my left hand means I have to look at the keyboard.
So, right you are, Jim.

The hand is really starting to hurt now.
Doctor gave me some Oxycodone for the night. Think I'll try one now and see if it turns me into an addict and makes me move to West Virginia.

Orrrrr...........maybe I'll take 2 and put on some Grateful Dead.

The only way to go :thumbup:

I built the house next door for my parents and inherited this one in return. No house payments is a life saver sometimes.

Rained most of the day, then heavy mist/fog moved in...Only accomplishments today were in music...I'm fine with that.

Looks like I'm going to end up mowing at least once more before the rest of the leaves drop. Not thrilled about blowing leaves twice, but enough have fallen that I don't want to run them through my old mower...ah well.

What will leaves do to the mower? I try to plan out my fall grass height: letting it get really tall, then mow down .5" at a time each time there's a buildup of leaves. The cloud of dust is a pain and does plug the mower air filter quickly enough.

Kind of a "wear clean underwear" evening...

Went to town for a fire dept training.

Thermal imagers.

About an hour into it my wife called. Lynley got scratched on the eye by one of the new pups.

Local pharmacy closed.....need to go 30 miles to big town.

I just HAD to drive my 72 Chevy 3/4 ton to training tonight.

It made it up there fine....although the bias tires never did turn round again.

Lynley's eye is okay. Got the prescription eye drops.

Back