How'd it go today?

We’re on our 31st anniversary getaway. Booked a cabin with a view. Woke up to a beautiful smoky mountain sunrise. Train runs in the valley below. Just passed by. I had Jason Aldean’s Night Train playing as we watched it pass through the valley below. 64EA1F87-4CB8-44E7-B65C-EC2AC972F857.jpeg

Supposedly, if you lay down for the sunset, and jump up just as it goes out of sight, you see it again, over the horizon.

It ain’t so...once it’s gone...it’s gone...

Well, I'm here to argue Scott is mistaken, at least on some occasions and situations (might not be the first time that's happened, but I still think he's a fine man :D).

To the point he makes and that I'll now posit, he is not quite correct, from my own experience :).

My grandmother's house was situated on the bay front of old town Punta Gorda, Florida. On the north side of the Peace River/ Punta Gorda Bay. As children, we loved to sit with the old folks on the big wide side porch and watch the sun set over the bay...then run upstairs to our great-grandmother's bedroom that also faced south.

When you where quick about it, you got a completely full re-setting of the sun.

Last edited:
Objection, Your Honor! My statement was made in light of not wishing to drag my planted posterior from the chair I was in to a different vantage point!

And where we are, that horizon is 40-50 miles away, and the height difference of laying/standing would make no difference. Going up a flight or two of stairs might gain you another peek.

Last edited:
Went to my big job today. PM likes to keep bringing me new tasks, which stresses me out. I start with an idea of what I'm doing, and how long it'll take, and I keep getting a "While you're here...". It isn't a big deal, and the extra stuff isn't all that, but it sounds like a lot at the time, and I feel like I'll never finish. I got home, and was on my roof, and he called asking if I'd be back tomorrow. The answer was "Probably not", so I'll have to go Monday.

Why was I on the roof? Sweeping the chimney! I still have to vacuum the stove, but that's the easy part. Also trimmed some branches over the roof. Y'all know any online guides for tree trimming? Best practices, and whatnot. Basically arboriculture101. I can wreck stuff, but I'm always a little uncertain regarding proper pruning...

Love the lighthouse pictures... Being a retired seafarer lighthouses hold a special place.
Congrats on 31 years Scott! and beautiful pictures as well :)

Gary, they will love Montana...bred for climates like that, I think. And grow??? Sure as anything, they will grow, and grow, and grow. The feed bill may well beggar our friend Jim :D.

I'm also looking forward to the reports as to what comes to pass :).

Back