How'd it go today?

Clever. I need to mull that over a bit. I've thought about adding a line/weight to my saddle, but I always end up with "I get the ball back how??". That gets the ball back, and it can probably be extended for other tricks. Thanks for that Kyle.

When it works it’s great!

Reminds me of a job back in the late 1980s: I was told I grossly ‘underbid’ a tight landing zone removal of an approx 55ft tall black locust by a fellow I had bid against. He’d bid it for a full day and I put it down as a half day at most. He happened to pass by the morning of the day we were removing the tree (small town); said he had stopped to complain about my ‘terribly low rates ruining it for everyone’. I offered to show him how I was going to remove the tree but he knew better and just laughed as he walked away. (This was the same guy who took the street side half of the crown off of a very broad, large declining oak, leaving the half over the 3-story tall colonial style brick dormitory at the university and left himself no lowering point out over the sidewalk. That was when he called me asking ‘how the hell was he supposed to get the other half down without damaging the slate roof’. Taught him the highline/zip line on that day).

What he didn’t consider was the 85 ft black oak towering over the locust in question. I spent a little time installing spider legs and then suspended the tree with a 3/4” lowering line passed through five crotches in the oak and cleanly worked it down without any negative blocking. We were able after the first cut to back the small 5’ x 8’ dump trailer under it by taking the mirrors off the truck (yep, that tight), and loaded all the trunk right into it. Three hours later we were cleaned up and purposely drove by his job site and honked and waved (I know, I’ll burn a bit in hell for such...)

Sad fact is he didn’t learn; got too deep into the alcohol. A few years later he stopped by a job I was contract climbing on at 11am, already reeking of liquor. He started foul-mouthing me in front of the customer about taking all his work When he slowed down I calmly pointed to the white and green trucks and the name of the Maryland company I was climbing for that day.

I have no idea how people can drink and do tree work. Seems totally reckless, but I guess being a drunk is reckless by itself...

Hooray for working smarter not harder

There's a difference between drinking and being drunk.... i could see it. Not me personally, especially anymore, but i could see it. Back in the day everyone carried a flask, business people had bars in their office, and there was no problems. You would not believe how many pint bottles I've seen while they are digging up stuff, where the laborers just chucked the emptys right in the hole.

Well, I'm back ( I really miss Ed, he would have known where that quote is from)

Had 3 hard days visiting family in Schweiz.
Lots of people, lots of kids, neither of which I'm used to and all speaking Schwiizerdütsch which I can understand and actually speak a little, but have to concentrate when people are speaking fast and several at the same time.
I was braindead every night.

Flying out of København airport was weird.
Almost nobody there, a true post apocalyptic feeling. ( I kept looking over my shoulder for zombies!)

Got screwed on the car rental and had to leave $220 worth of fine Swiss cheese in Basel airport because I was misinformed by the airline.

I just wrote then a vitriolic letter!

Good trip, though.
It was fine to see all of the family that I have married into, again.

Started a solo maple removal at a lake!

Live, only had K. duesta/ hypoxylon or something.

Half day onsite, pick up the kid from camp in 2 hours, go grab the chipper for tomorrow. Moved the loader today.

Beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Attachments

• 1596488216972-1125815129.jpg
    1596488216972-1125815129.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
I don't drink when I'm doing anything physical. Maybe one beer, but that's pretty close to zero beers.

Pinned a footer today with the boss, and then went back to the office to get it hardened for the tropical storm. I just got in from doing some quick stuff around my place(very incomplete). The rain had started, so I got soaked. Also got stung by wasp. It was in a bush, and I didn't see it. Apparently they don't like their nests jostled. Who knew?!

Well the oil cooler is blown. Cracked below the repair plus another spot. They won’t guarantee a repair. Guess I better take the Vaseline out to the sand box and get prepped for the Vermeer price tag. 😵

When it works it’s great!

Reminds me of a job back in the late 1980s: I was told I grossly ‘underbid’ a tight landing zone removal of an approx 55ft tall black locust by a fellow I had bid against. He’d bid it for a full day and I put it down as a half day at most. He happened to pass by the morning of the day we were removing the tree (small town); said he had stopped to complain about my ‘terribly low rates ruining it for everyone’. I offered to show him how I was going to remove the tree but he knew better and just laughed as he walked away. (This was the same guy who took the street side half of the crown off of a very broad, large declining oak, leaving the half over the 3-story tall colonial style brick dormitory at the university and left himself no lowering point out over the sidewalk. That was when he called me asking ‘how the hell was he supposed to get the other half down without damaging the slate roof’. Taught him the highline/zip line on that day).

What he didn’t consider was the 85 ft black oak towering over the locust in question. I spent a little time installing spider legs and then suspended the tree with a 3/4” lowering line passed through five crotches in the oak and cleanly worked it down without any negative blocking. We were able after the first cut to back the small 5’ x 8’ dump trailer under it by taking the mirrors off the truck (yep, that tight), and loaded all the trunk right into it. Three hours later we were cleaned up and purposely drove by his job site and honked and waved (I know, I’ll burn a bit in hell for such...)

Sad fact is he didn’t learn; got too deep into the alcohol. A few years later he stopped by a job I was contract climbing on at 11am, already reeking of liquor. He started foul-mouthing me in front of the customer about taking all his work When he slowed down I calmly pointed to the white and green trucks and the name of the Maryland company I was climbing for that day.
This is a similar situation I've been in with a former sub. The guy would start work at 9:30/10 go to lunch around 11:30 and drink 4 or 5 triple vodka cranberries go back to the job leave the guys and go back to the bar at 2:00.
He blew me off on a job then lied to me about it so I told him to frig off. Now his main crew member is begging me for a job. He starts in a week.
The ex-sub has talent but the bottle has him BAD. Oh well.

This is a similar situation I've been in with a former sub. The guy would start work at 9:30/10 go to lunch around 11:30 and drink 4 or 5 triple vodka cranberries go back to the job leave the guys and go back to the bar at 2:00.
He blew me off on a job then lied to me about it so I told him to frig off. Now his main crew member is begging me for a job. He starts in a week.
The ex-sub has talent but the bottle has him BAD. Oh well.

A familiar story unfortunately.

Went to the hospital today for a "let us put an electric wire on the dead frog and see if it moves" check on my dead fingers.
The good news is, they have progressed from just dead to actually being able to audution for a role in a Zombie movie.
Still got a loooooooooooooooooooooong way to go, before they get to the point where they even resemble normalcy.
But I can run a saw, then who cares that I can't feel any difference between my wife's breast and a turnip, unless I look at what i'm touching.
( Truth be told, it is getting on my nerves a bit.

In the afternoon i got a pleasant surprice.
One of my really old, as in 25 years ago, apprentices dropped by.
He lives as far from me as one can get in Denmark, I haven't seen him for at least 10 years.
So catching up was fine.

Richard boy catches a salamander.

Proud of himself for saving it from a bird or some similar predator.

I says to put it in a bucket with some water.

Richard thinks about 6 inches of water with no resting place should be sufficient.

We is headed back to dump some water out before it drowns.

Some rescue......

Updates to follow.

Storm's about over, and I made out pretty well. My poor locusts lost a couple more limbs, with one of them taking out a nice limb of my weeping cherry carcass, but the damage appears to be limited. Basement got water as expected, but my work yesterday afternoon minimized it substantially. I'm calling it a success.

My two kittiots knocked a small table over, and picking it up, I found two flashlights that have been missing awhile. Granted, they're the reason they went missing in the first place, but it's good to have them back. Nice outside. Kinda cool with a moderate breeze. Good day :^)

Back