How'd it go today?

Well said, my good friend. You and I are on the same page...the original Hitch Hiker is mighty hard to beat for versatility. Work out a good micro-pulley slack-tending system, and a good self advancing attachment point, and it will run circles around most other SRT devices even still.

Akimbo can be a prickly bitch :D.

This is not a slam. I love it. Just know it'll never be a set it and forget it sort of climbing rig.

That is the reason is don’t tend to use mine. I have had it work flawlessly in the morning and then in the afternoon it doesn’t work.

Great to be able to adjust and customise to almost any rope. But I need it to be predictable. Jaime did send my a new cam but I have yet to try it. Might give it a go this week.

or I might just use it as a replacement for my Trango cinch on an extra long lanyard and ditty bag I made about 4 years ago. The idea was to have it for big SRT climbs as second line. Made it all up, splice to a 3 way snap and then put in a bag and never used...

I have been using the HH and Akimbo SRT, side by side, this week...doing pressure washing on the monkey slide...using 2 TIPs for work positioning. I am still working to get the Akimbo dialed in. Might switch it back to my Poison Ivy...the HH seems to just work with whatever I stick it on so far....having to fuss with the Akimbo. Still in the learning curve here. I'll post some picts in SRT thread.

As has been stated, the HH is a hard act to follow. If you keep your expectations of smooth, effortless friction release modest, than you will be able to appreciate what the Akimbo does so well.

Its strong points are: fast on and off the rope, compact, self-contained, and easy to make workable on different ropes. If used on projects where these things will make things better, you will be happy with it.

Because of its small contact control area and form, it will be more sensitive to small changes of any sort. Rain, sap, rope type and condition, will all require adjustments or special attention.

Still a good, safe tool and when it is working at its best, it will make you smile.

I've heard about the "issues" with the akimbo. That immediately drops it from my consideration. If I have to consult an astrologer to use a piece of equipment I'm betting my life on, I wouldn't use it.

Climbing is full of choices, more now than ever. The Akimbo has always worked for me and I consider it a great design and tool.

Climbing is full of choices, more now than ever.

Indeed. Boggling the number of possibilities. Pre internet, far fewer choices existed and even less of them were widely known.

I find that for my weight/climb style the Akimbo is most predictable and consistent on Yale kernmaster ( I most often use it with Safari and Prism). Less easy to dial it in on XTC Fire. If I need to be on and off the rope like crane work there is no question: the Akimbo rules due to midline attachability. Most on-the-rope-for-the-duration of the climb I use a RopeRunner. Looking forward to the new RRPro !!

Last edited:
Fuggin cold wind here today. Been a chilly, wet spring.

A bit cooler here today as well. I’m having a hard time getting motivated to do much. I’m blaming it on the ford sitting in my driveway
6EE16349-1DF2-4745-B86B-113667B721A8.jpeg

Fire down the street. Controled burn got away. They put one out and another got going. Right into a junk pile. Old cars and tires.......weeeeee.
Once that excitement calmed down, i went and sold a weeks worth of work.. sold a weeks worth yesterday on my way shopping.
Think ill bbq some chicken now that the burnt rubber smell has moved on a bit.

Rubber fire, yuk :^(

How much work do you guys like having on the books? I'm guessing too much is too much, and too little speaks for itself. What's a good comfortable amount?

Reading “Free Falling” by Anthony Tresselt, who also writes a bit for the Arb magazines. I think he’s Tony over at TB. So far it’s a fun read, and he’s a good writer. Murder mystery fiction set at ITCC. Anyone wants to give it a read when I’m done, holler. I’ll probably be done with it in a day or two.

Rubber fire, yuk :^(

How much work do you guys like having on the books? I'm guessing too much is too much, and too little speaks for itself. What's a good comfortable amount?
I prefer to be no more than two montgs in bookings. Less than a moth i get a tad worried. But something aways fills it up. Lost about 5 days this month to people being silly and not calling to tell me not to come. Filled 3 of those in two days.

To elaborate on work. We only lost about 1/3 of our income on property. And I supplimented that with taking Katy with me to work when I could split resources. She cleans houses for a living, mostly vacation rentals and managing vacation rentals. She was shut down. I also put Seth to work when I could to keep a 17yrld from getting bored and into trouble. Seth has since teamed up with some buddies and has purchased his own 590 Echo and a 4 Stroke Stihl weed eater. They are going gang busters. He has his own helmet and chaps. Fire season is here, plenty of prevention work if you have no school. Levi is just about to get with his buddies and start weed eating.
Now my girls, Kat and Lilly, are kind of managing the farm. We have more meat on the hoof because of it and a garden in front started for some veggies. Rob started his up as well. If you can't go out and make a living, then ya might as well make food and projects happen. Bathroom is about to be remodeled as well. Kat took it on. I will step in for plumbing help and where needed on weekends.
Rob's mill keeps pumping out work. So he can steer off and use that when I can put others to work with me in the field. Ty, Kat, Seth or Levi.

Got the ivy covered locust all shoved in the burn pile and burned most of it, got some trailers and a truck moved, half ass graded it, and got the new inflatable pool set up. Got 4 loads hauled in it, 2 to 3 more tomorrow night and that's done (happy wife and kids). I need to break down and get a bigger tank to go with my bigger truck :lol:

Found some new homesteaders squatting on my property today. And yes, those are babies in the nest. They rode with me to work today.

20200601_193440.jpg

Got a board nailed in the rafters, going to relocate them before work in the morning.

20200601_193509.jpg

Will the mama capiche the relo?

You must be loving your carport.

No....they are pretty well broken in...but a couple I tried were finicky...one was Samson Velocity and XTC Fire. I have not used Velocity in a long time, hoped I could dedicate it to the Akimbo...but they are not playing well together yet.

The Fire is OK but still not as effortless as I had hoped. I need to fuss with them more.
Gary. New hank of Velocity Hot, not broke in. G7 for me. Seems to me my Bandit line was about the same on the GoFund me I got to try with Jamie. I'll have to try the production unit again on that.

Back