How'd it go today?

Busy day working at my friend's house. Little if this, little of that. Moved the camper. No problems. IMG_20200315_104504293_HDR.jpg

Climbed a big fir there for a view of the mountains. My friend's first trip up a big tree in rope, up to around 100', like a champ.

IMG_20200315_104504293_HDR.jpg IMG_20200310_183126317.jpg IMG_20200310_190528136.jpg

Attachments

• 1781261526576562975.jpg
    1781261526576562975.jpg
    967.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Thought I'd better go into town and stock up on a few things seeing as how things are going crazy. Plus get a haircut.

Went early, Aldi first, was really busy. It's usually not in the afternoon when I go, but got most of what I needed. Except TP, none in the other big one I usually go to but got everything else.

Had a hair cut, all lady old style barber shop. Just as I was leaving one came back and said "I just got toilet paper" from the other supermarket I don't like (didn't like). It's just behind them, so I ended up with the last pack. Gave them a bit of a laugh when I walked back past and told them.

Big news in town today, I got toilet paper and a hair cut. Now my head is cold and I'm going to bed.

Also stocked up on home brew supplies, so I'm going back to hermit status.

Re-nested a young owl yesterday. Scattered six dead mice around the tree, near the nest, and left a heat pack in the bottom of the basket under a layer of pine needles. Waiting to hear from the homeowners if the parents have come by yet.

Also went by neighbor's place the past two days; her husband of many years rapidly declining from end-stage Alzheimers Disease, - doesn't recognize anyone.
- Three days ago a childhood friend came to spend time with him; after the friend left he said, "That is a nice man".
- Two days ago he could not sit up unaided, no longer swallowing; got hospice to drop off a hospital bed and an oxygen concentrator.
Set it up and assisted family to transfer him into the bed; taught them in-bed care, and reviewed use of morphine and the other meds in the kit.
- Yesterday went over and helped with care and answered their questions, and explained the Kussmauls and occasional apnea-like (agonal) breathing they were seeing and the process of his winding down.
-This morning they called to say he passed peacefully a little after midnight.

Over these same three days, between everything else we have dug up another large section of grass from the front yard (my goal is all plants and no mowing!), planted a few bushes and native plants, and when my friend returns the dump trailer I'll go get some wood chip mulch from a tree service friend to dress the new garden.

Owlet.jpg

A pet owl *would* be cool, but the government takes a dim view of keeping raptors without the necessary permits. That would be one expensive owl if the right person saw it.

I toyed with the idea of getting into falconry for awhile. I never got to point of really getting serious about the idea, but it would be a cool thing to do.

Got to use one of the 4x4 spruce posts I made today. It's used to hold a temporary road sign for the boss' subdivision that's getting a cul-de-sac installed. I hope it lasts, and we don't get any big wind. I picked the shittiest one I had. It was full of knots, and it made a cracking sound when it was dropped. It's up though, and looks pretty good. Only has to last a few weeks.

Took my cat to the vet. $174 for the exam, a couple shots, and some special food. He's been having trouble peeing. The vet said it's kind of a mystery why it happens to cats, but he said he's had good luck the Purina food he sold me :shrugs: This vet is new to me. I didn't really like the last one. Time will tell if he's a keeper, but so far I like him. I was worried the cat had a crystal blockage, which can be very bad/expensive if not caught in time. It's not that, and he said the cat's seems to be in pretty good health, so that's good.

He also didn't know about the diarrhea. He said if/when he gets it again to try to get a sample for testing. It's been an ongoing issue, but it comes and goes. Strange behavior. Someone on another forum suggested giardia. Need to sample to test for it though.

DFBC0123-AF6B-4E04-B5EB-7038C40ABEA9.jpeg C8E917C5-0E9B-404A-873B-8CC66A6501C4.jpeg
My carnage from today. Hydro ax did a little bit but the ground was “just to wet” ( in my best Amish voice). It’s time to go home when I start miss reading the lean or missing my mark. 11 tanks of fuel today.
Sheit a man of your caliber, that tree will just fall out of the way on it's own because you looked at it sideways.
I still prefer to cut them. Let’s them think they have a fighting chance against me:big-rolling:

Re-nested a young owl yesterday. Scattered six dead mice around the tree, near the nest, and left a heat pack in the bottom of the basket under a layer of pine needles. Waiting to hear from the homeowners if the parents have come by yet.

Awesome job! Keep us posted.

Nice on the heat pack. What I've done before in those situations is put one of those "Hot Hands" hand warmer packs under the nesting material, is that what your heat pack was?

Finally got over yesterday & today's chaos.....

BM2 showed up late in the morning, I gave him a sharp word or 2, and prompted him to get moving. I'd loaded the pickup for the day's job and we headed to the yard to get the chip truck/chipper. Had to reconnect the chipper as I got lucky the day b4 and a friend of wifey was looking for mulch/chips. Both monkeys handled the guidance/reconnect, and as we were late, I yelled back "Am I good to go?". They nodded yes. Big mistake.....

The job was about 45 mins. away for a friend of mine in western NJ. Gave them the address, and told them where to set up if they beat me there. After about 20 miles and moving to secondary road, all of a sudden, feel the truck slow down?!?! Thought maybe it was due to hill I was on, but thought "no, truck's empty, and this isn't too steep...". Looked at mirrors and saw sparks/smoke coming from back of truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pulled over quick and went back to investigate. Seems whoever dropped the chipper pintle ring onto the truck hitch forgot to close the hitch and clasp it!!!!! Looks like I'd been dragging by the chains at 40+ mph for 500+ ft, and the e-brake cable on the chipper kicked in doing it's job, slowing me down. Called ahead to the monkeys and told them where I was, as I needed the jack from the pickup to raise the chipper high enough to put it's own jack in place and reconnect to the truck. Another hour+ down the drain, and the tongue bar and chain slots completely mangled on the chipper. :X:X:X

Finally made it to the job (big 5 stem ash take down), with plans to get all the smaller limbs/wood down/chipped on day one, then come back on day 2 for the remaining stem/wood w/the dump trailer. Due to the delays, did not get the all the stems/limbs down, meaning I'll need both big trucks/chipper/trailer for day 2. Plan on minimizing profit due to that and the F up driving up. :X:cry::X:cry:

Day 2 was postponed due to rain, so figured "Let me take chipper to dealer to see what yesterday's F-up was going to cost". Big mistake #2....

Chipper dealer is close by on a major highway. As I'm driving there with 3/4 load of chips and chipper in tow, some major stoonad cuts me off to make the jug-handle turn (most likely for the Costco to find out "Yup, still no toilet paper there, Duhhhhh!!"). Due to that, had to slam on brakes, causing me to jack-knife and spin around 2x in traffic!!!! Someone, somewhere must have been smiling on me because amazingly, was able to muscle memory hydro-plane recovery, and managed to avoid all other vehicles, concrete divider, curb and anything else for 300+ feet. :O:O:O Came to a stop facing backwards into traffic with about 30+ vehicles stopped behind me, and 3 guys from a lawnscrape company yelling "Dude, amazing, you didn't hit anything!!!" They helped guide/stop traffic for me to get out of the way/turn around. I thanked them, paused, and started breathing again..... Made it to the chipper dealer, got out to investigate and find out the trailer cable (lights/directional for chipper) cut and the removable chipper jack bent to no good state (in addition to original tongue/chain issue). Another ~$400 bonus cost, in addition to the eventual tongue replacement (cost yet unknown),...

There may not be enough adult beverages tonight to properly recover....

While I have booked a few jobs amidst this craziness, today I just lost my first job to it, a nice full day job, only a week ago the guy said 'do it', but a week ago is a bit like a lifetime ago.

Jesus Brian. That's a hell of a day. On the philosophical side, you made out fantastically considering how things could have gone. You used up a few months of good luck today. Be careful for awhile ;^)

Hope that job pans out for you stig. It'll be nice knowing what you're doing for the year, and not sweating jobs.

As for me, I spent the day in the office. Got in this morning, and it was raining, but wasn't supposed to last. The power got yanked out from under us, and when the computers came back up, both of the boss' machines were down for the count. His xubuntu machine was fixed with a fsck, but the xp machine won't connect to the file server. Internet works fine, but no file server. I played with it all day, and it still isn't figured out. I'll give it some thought tonight. Calming down and thinking rationally may give me a clue.

Got home today, and this was on top of my mailbox... 20200317_162319.jpg

Don't ask me :shrugs:, but I kinda like it. Here's one I found in a parking lot a few months ago...

20200112_095857.jpg

That one's some kinda facebook thing. Says to keep it or rehide on the back. I'm gonna put it in a park whenever I get around to going hiking again. Or maybe I'll start a feral painted rock collection. That's an esoteric hobby :^D

Back