How'd it go today?

Got the stump grinder ready for a job today and they cancelled. :(

Then the Province announces all school is cancelled till April 5th.

WTF is going on here.

Wacky family day today:

Kids had a half school day for teachers/staff to plan for distance learning; schools will be closed and all teaching will be via internet until mid-April. Wifey is working from home until further notice.

Was supposed to do a major oak-prune at my mother's today, but brush-monkey 2 called in sick (I'm saying it's Ebola, at least that's what I told my mother as to why we couldn't make it; she was like "Are you sure it's not Corona....wait, what?!?!?"). ;)

An hour later, my lawn-scraper brother called w/a dying maple to take down, so BM1 and I kept busy for most of the rest of the day at one of his properties. He told me "Yea, Bri, easy 40 footer; you should be able to chip the whole thing..." Wrong!!! Tree was 60+ ft, 24" at the base, and a 200 ft. lug to where I could park the truck/chipper. We knocked it out in 4 hrs in Sonic mode, and salvaged the day w/some money coming in.

Cold beverages will be tasty tonight w/a cigar....
:drink::big-cigar:

Last edited:
Mini loaders don't get viruses, and never care how many trips they have to make.

If your market will support one, it's something to consider, asap, imo.

Zero WC on machines.

Sean, there is a Dingo in my future plans, just need to allow the company bank account to recover after the insurance mafia drained it last month.

Also, lots of the work in my neck of the woods deals with big trees in tight locations, requiring at least 3 guys (monkey me in the tree, BM1 running the main rigging rope, BM2 running tag line for proper clearance and to help clear the big stuff when it gets to the ground).

Perhaps @SeanKroll but can a machine hold you close in the van when your day has gone wrong?

Will a machine run it’s fingers through your hair and whisper in your ear that everything is going to be ok when you don’t bring the right size chainsaw file?

On rainy days do you know of a machine that will lovingly dry your soaking wet body down with fluffy Egyptian cotton towels in the back of the chip truck?

No machine I’m aware of.

Last edited:
We are not amused.

The life of a gypo logger sure is changeable.
2 weeks ago the state forest shut down logging because of all the rain making it impossible to get the logs out, thus robbing us of at least 2 months of work.

Today I got a call from one State forester asking us to fell 400 cubic meters of prime Doug fir.
Then in the evening I got an email with another job of 1000 cubic meters of mature Beech, also for the State.

Guess we are back on track :)

Last edited:
The universe works in mysterious ways. If you are trying hard, it all usually works out :drink:

Rain this morning, so I went out and dug up flowers in the hit zone for a new subdivision. I took some snowdrops to a protected piece of woods, and dug up some daffodils for the office. They didn't fare as well as the snowdrops. Those bulbs are deep, and it was hard getting them out of the ground with all the roots. After planting them at the office, most looked pretty sad. I'm hoping they'll be ok next year, even if this year's a wash. I'm gonna get some more this weekend, and I saw a pretty little blue flower I want to take home. I'll look closer for other flowers while I'm there also.

Gonna try to get some milling in this weekend. The skidloader might be out. If that's the case, I'll turn the remainder of the ash I have into cants, and store them away in case a need comes up. Don't have a use atm.

Well I didn’t get to run the hydro ax the other day☹️. I ended up being on the job a lot later than planned. No big deal. The guy running it basically cleared out everything. I spent Thursday and Friday cutting the trees that were to big or that he couldn’t get to. It was moved Thursday to the next job. I went there in the afternoon to find it parked. It’s just to wet of an area. There were ruts axle deep. After three long days of felling ( a lot of trees with fence in them) , my arms feel like jello. I’m gonna try to relax tomorrow so I can go back to it Monday. The deadline is drawing near so we’re just putting stuff down on most jobs for now. I’ll try to get some pictures.
I also have pioneered a new felling technique. I’ve used it several times recently without failure. Instead of cutting a heavy leaning the wrong way tree, I just rip it out with the excavator. Works toot sweet

Got a little milling in today. It was a bit of an ordeal getting the logs setup. Boss helped with his tractor cause the skidloader hydraulics were down. I wasn't thinking when I set it all up. I wanted to avoid stacking/clamping numerous slabs to turn into boards, so I had milled 7.5" slabs at 21.5'. The idea of course was to setup two big slabs, and mill those. Weight? We don't have to worry about that! Yea... 7.5"x30"x21' of wet oak is about as heavy you think it is.

We got it setup after a fashion, but the whole thing was pretty wonky, and made the milling a little difficult. I got the top slabbed off and four boards done, then quit. My back was starting to hurt, and I wanted to switch to a shorter bar. I might go back tomorrow. Haven't decided yet.

Sounds quite grueling and intense, Rich. Indeed, send pics!!

Got off to a wet start, so I think I'm gonna stay around the house today. I could have gone to mill some wood, but a coat of wet makes it all less fun, so it's looking like a 'whisky by the fire day'. Not terribly cold, but the fire feels good, and my fire opportunities are getting low this season. I might go out later and start getting my milled spruce under cover. It's all been sitting out there since I cut it. Need to start getting ready for grass shortening season; the worst season of all :^(

Should have gone with my first guess. Bark looked like cherry, but they tend to have pink flowers, so I thought I'd get crafty and guess apple. That's what I get for trying to think :^D

Beautiful.
The only thing flowering at my place is my nectarine in the greenhouse.
It is blooming like crazy and there are no insects out to pollinate it yet.

Pretty bad situation you ended up in with that.
Especially working outdoors.
Take care!

Bit of a bugger, it’s later in the summer when the bees/wasp/hornets get more aggressive I have to make sure I keep the epi-pen handy.

Back