How'd it go today?

BG--Your hinge is where the bark would lead one to believe there to be a defect beneath.

Jed, what armillaria damage are you seeing? Generally, it's secondary.

Was the spar back-leaning?

Yesterday, I pruned four small weeping type Japanese maples in 1 3/4 hours.
Met my friend's new dog, and cleaned mad amounts of deadwood out of a weeping pussy Willow for her. Got a good homemade dinner and leftovers. A good 45 minutes on another one shorter than me.

Last edited:
Re the political stuff in Australia, there is a panel discussion show called Q&A...it was on the other night with the bushfires crisis being the topic...A Liberal senator was one panel member and when he said he was keeping an open mind as to climate change being implicated in the bushfires crisis, the scientist next to him said that's fine as long as you don't keep your mind so open your brain falls out :lol:

65° today D^:

Raining earlier, so I did some bushwhacking on the farm. Stopped for lunch, and when I finished, I wandered up to the little pond to see what the beaver's been up to. Not a whole lot. On the way back, I saw some vines I missed, so I girdled them with my knife. Knife got away from me, and I have a 3" slice in my thigh...

20200204_131340.jpg

Smart thing would probably be getting stitches, but I never let the smart thing affect my decision making before, so we'll see how banaids do.

Cleared up, and I went out to do a foundation cert. Got visited by some turkeys. They live next door...

20200204_142606.jpg

That tom scared me a little. He was being protective of his girls, and stayed between me and them, displaying and making noise. Heading back to the office now, and then home...

Gary: thanks.

Sean: Yes.

Beer Geek: looks like a fun day!

Illkslr... super glue man. Super glue.

Today was, well, snotty.

Attachments

• 20200204_133340.jpg
    20200204_133340.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
Day 2 of 3 maple take down in the books. Had a fellow fire fighter from the academy join as fill-in brush monkey. He wishes he could do like I did and do this full time. See pics and vid in the corresponding Work Pictures and Tree Felling threads.

Bid a job for two easy cedar dismantles out of town a bit, 30 minutes or so away from home.
He was game.
I ran up one, limbed, topped, chunked both at the same time.
Stacked brush for a quick chip in the morning.
Short roll of wood on a hand truck, of reasonably light wood, after chipping onsite.
Easy money.
Nice change-up of the work, from lots of snippy pruning.

Back at it today removing hazard trees for the township. Nothing special. Waiting on the chip truck to return and a dump truck with deck over trailer for the wood. The guys secretly had a poll going on me being able to just supervise. I was able to tolerate it yesterday. I couldn’t even go for two days in a row. It was just a bit of ROW pruning. I just talked to property owners and sat in the truck reading. Also paperwork. Tomorrow looks to be more ROW pruning so I’ll continue working on paperwork and reading.

Took down this nasty dead Laurel oak this morning. Why do people wait so long to cut down a dead tree? This was a rental property and the tree is in the center of the driveway. Tenants regularly parked under this.

Scheible 1.jpg Scheible 2.jpg

Hell, that tree was fine! Another couple years of the poison ivy growing, it would look like a whole new tree.

Brett, they wait because they don't want to spend the money. Then when they finally get to it, it's in such a state that it costs them more than had they dealt with it earlier. I'm designing my website and will have a page on why tree work costs so much and this is one of the top 3 reasons. :thumbup:

Easy morning of chipping and cleanup for 2.5 hours. Barely, barely got the truck and chipper up the steep gravel driveway. I was working at about 3' of altitude above some tide line. Just barely enough traction.

Got a call from a repeat customer just now, has some flowering plums needing more pruning. Quick bid before school pick up.

Man... just trying to dry myself off by the fire. What a nasty day man. Our new guy Tyson fell over 50' (captured on video) into super snotty (Glory to God!!!) forest duff, and is sent home from the hospital with pain pills and minor back aches. Must be nice to be 19. Silly bugger used a half-hitch for a termination knot, or so I am told. I have a really hard time believing that even HE could be so silly, but that's what I was told. They said that HE told them that when they picked him out of the snot. Crazy bugger... thank God he's alright.

A fuller picture should emerge tomorrow. Safety meeting day.:agrue:

Back