How'd it go today?

Cu/Ni will last the life time of a vehicle. Factory lines don't last 10 years around here. Aftermarket lines are lucky to last 4. Tried coated lines, no better.

They do love salt around here. I think it is criminal. Just ruins cars.

I miss my old Isuzu Rodeo man. Beautiful ride, ran and looked nice, very reliable. Frame or sub frame rotted away and it was basically a nice looking nice running totaled suv. Drove her to the junkyard :(

Sucked, but salt is pretty necessary here. I’d probably be even more unhappy if I totaled it after hitting some ice and slid into a building or something.

I’ll keep that in mind about the copper nickel lines though, mine ain’t looking so great.

I did a brake line once. It went surprisingly well. Bought all the stuff, and made a double flare fitting first try. The two problems were the bending tool, and I twisted a bleed nipple off my rear wheel. The bending tool was WTF?!?! I ended up hand bending the lines with a couple gentle curves, and the nipple was closed, and I was done, so it's still like that sitting my driveway. I need to get rid of that jeep. Haven't used it in a few years.

Did some milling today. I honestly wasn't feelin' it before I started, and I almost didn't start. Once I got everything setup, I got in the groove, and had a good time. I'm now the proud owner of six spruce 4x4s, and three 4x? leftovers that'll be useful for something. Cut up some of the slabs for firewood, and left a couple I can still get some boards from if I need them. I'll decide later.

I also tried laying back the back of my bench I cut into my oak log. That didn't go as well as I'd have liked. I should have stripped the rotten bark on top so I could dog in, and be more accurate. I bored in from the top, and it popped out where I wanted, but I didn't keep a straight cut the whole length, I'll see if I can touch it up with my 2511t or something. It's a little better than it was I guess, but not as I pictured it.

I lost my best guy today.
He has been with us since he finished his apprenticeship with us.
He was apprenticing with a company that lost a huge contract and had to lay him off.
Since he was a buddy of our apprentice, we took him in for the last part of his apprenticeship.
After finishing, he stayed on for a year, then went back to school for another 3½ year to become a forester.
During those years he work for us in his off-time.
Took the exam a year ago and has been with us since.

Today he got a job as forester at a large private district.
Pretty much a dream job for him.

But shit how I am going to miss him:cry:

Plenty that wants apprenticeship, yes.
Right now I could really use a good faller/climber, not another apprentice.
I think we'll try to make it through logging season without, then see what the summer brings.

Logging is a bit sketchy.
Last year we lost about 2 months of work when Trump threatened trade war with the Chinese.
That scared them enough that they stopped bying wood from us.
This year the joker is germany.
They had very large areas of forest around Harzen killed by the drought, so they will be throwing an estimated 90 miilion cubic meters on the market, dead cheap.

So I think I'll see if we can't muddle through without hiring anyone untill I see what way the wind blows, logging wise.

Always has been a tough business to navigate through the market ups and downs, that's for sure. Sorry you lost your lad.

Man, if I could get away from the family for a while, that would be a dream come true. Go work under Stig for a bit.

I'd love to have you, but I don't think you'd like the weather here. Rain, rain and rain.

I spent most of the day in the hospital.
Leukemia check-up.
It is stirring again. They originally said I would be good for 2-3 years before going into chemo again.
Now the verdict is 1-2 years.
At least they cleared me for going to the States in spring, I was worried about that falling through yet again.

I hate being so mute here the last couple of years. I miss the days of coming home, getting that day's pictures ready to go, then posting them with hopefully an interesting story to with it.

Those were the days! I just hope ya'll will keep the spirit of the TreeHouse around for a long time after I'm gone!

As you were... just feeling s pinch of sadness...

I hear ya, but it's been great that you've been reactivated these last few days, when Sean posted "Butch, You out there?', it was a rough patch cuz you were barely posting at all.

Back