How'd it go today?

Good on you, Frans.

I had a second day of help by a guy who got a Traumatic Brain Injury in Ranger school, many years ago.

Good guy for a third pair of hands. So far, all felling work, so not too technical, and I was around to guide him into the rhythm. Here's done a bit of residential tree service. Had to relearn about everything. Hearing's shot. He recognizes he has no room for injury, which is pretty much my take.
He's busy with prep class for grad school... Natural resource management.

Air Force, eh? Well nobody's perfect.

I'm kidding of course, good on him! What's his job gonna be? USAF offers tons of specialties that can become great jobs on the civilian side.
My son is 11th grade and there's an Army and a Marine recruiter he's been talking with.

My youngest son enlisted in the Air National Guard today. He's following in his big brother's footsteps.

Well done.

When I was his age, I considered the same path for a bit. My father, a decorated WW2 vet, talked me out of it. This was height of the Viet Nam war. He told me that "now" (being 1971), the armed forces services were being led down a bad path by current politicians.

Wiser than I could ever aspire to be, but there you have it.

Anyway...I still think a military career can be a great thing for a talented young person.

Could be a fast train to hell, too. War is like that.

Not so sure about that one, Butch and Cory. Plenty of history has shown that compulsory military service makes a military service that has significant weakness in it's core commitment to said service.

Voluntary enrollment is better on that score, almost certainly.

If all you need is cannon fodder, then sure, force every young woman and man to serve.

Idk man... everyone's already miserable while deployed. It'd suck to be partnered up with someone that didn't even sign up and was forced into service.
It'd be a fine thing for a lot of young people, but it would never happen. This is a very different world than it was last time there was a draft and if memory (of history class) serves, it went over like a fart in church last time.

I see we agree, Jonny. And you would have far more pertinent experience than I do.

And Butch...I think the WW2 GI Bill still is in effect...if I understand it correctly all vets get that college benefit.

Im no expert but it seems to work for Israel

Not so sure a close review of their history would support that position. That's what the Israeli gov't would have the world believe...and maybe it is so, as plenty of actors would like others to doubt it and perhaps are actively out to spread tales to show otherwise...but there is room to see some truth in the doubts.

I have some family in that situation, so a few anecdotal stories cast some questions for me.

I also am no expert.

Compulsory service has happened several times in our history, and it hasn't worked out too well. Dedicated volunteers has been the norm since Vietnam, and we've been at war longer than Korea and Vietnam combined. Military service is a wonderful thing, but the reality is that the wars our country fights sometimes isn't depending on your political beliefs. I'm with Jim on this one.

People don't tho. Learn from mistakes made in the past. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Back