How'd it go today?

So much damn knowledge and wisdom here at da House

Gary, sorta seems crazy that we still have tanks now. I wonder if its hard to keep those troops motivated.

I have not been able to locate a good M48 tank.

Sad state of affairs when it comes down to this;)

I can definitely see Jim reviewing his epic hordes of dung beetles from atop a speeding m48, goggles, leather hat, white scarf rakishly blowing behind.

Jimbo, you a Patton fan by any chance??

I would wonder if that is less likely to stall and possibly kill the motor lol. I also thought most tanks used a turbine motor, for fuel flexibility and sheer power

Far as I know, the Abrams is the only turbine powered one.

Cory, our chipper has a hydraulic winch & hydraulic feed wheels (runs off a John Deere 100 HP engine). They are available with the motor running, higher RPMs for more hydro flow. The clutch on ours engages the drum, so we leave it disengaged during the warmup period and only have it engaged when actually chipping.

Agreed all around on not idling diesels; that was old-school thinking. I got clued in about 10 years ago by a trucker who filled in that knowledge gap that it was unnecessary and even harmful to idle the newer engines. As Jim says, don't be afraid of your starter!

This is why I want no part of any diesel engine newer than 2007. International made the DT466 for 40+ years, a reliable workhorse upon which International built their reputation for reliability and durability. From 2008-2014 International had 3 different versions attempting to deal with tier 4 standards. In 2015 they quit making the best diesel engine they ever made and began selling trucks with Cummins engines.

Go look at the new chippers these days. All gas motors, nobody wants the diesel engines any more. Ridiculous. You couldn't give me a new diesel powered truck with all that synthetic piss bullshit.

Cory, our chipper has a hydraulic winch & hydraulic feed wheels (runs off a John Deere 100 HP engine). They are available with the motor running, higher RPMs for more hydro flow. The clutch on ours engages the drum, so we leave it disengaged during the warmup period and only have it engaged when actually chipping.

Understood. That is the way my chipper functions too. Bandit says don't run engine with clutch disengaged any longer than necessary. I always have clutch in when engine is running. Maybe vermeer clutch is different

This is why I want no part of any diesel engine newer than 2007. International made the DT466 for 40+ years, a reliable workhorse upon which International built their reputation for reliability and durability. From 2008-2014 International had 3 different versions attempting to deal with tier 4 standards. In 2015 they quit making the best diesel engine they ever made and began selling trucks with Cummins engines.

The International story in a nutshell. Explains why internationals were ubiquitous for so long and why they are mostly disappeared nowadays.

Understood. That is the way my chipper functions too. Bandit says don't run engine with clutch disengaged any longer than necessary. I always have clutch in when engine is running. Maybe vermeer clutch is different

I don't think it's the clutch so much as the throwout bearing. Disengaging the clutch means the crankshaft is riding on the throwout bearing, which isn't designed to run for extended periods of time. Same reason you don't ride the clutch pedal in your truck. The bearing itself is cheap but you have to pull the entire transmission/clutch to replace it.

The PTO doesn't have a 'neutral' per se. Disengaging the clutch via the lever is like stepping on the clutch pedal.

Sounds like BMG has made a more universal fit rake.

...and by rake, do they mean a giant wire brush?

Yes the giant brush. I am going to pull the trigger on a new one this summer mine has about half of the bristles left and the frame is tweeked pretty good but owes me nothing.

I don't think it's the clutch so much as the throwout bearing. Disengaging the clutch means the crankshaft is riding on the throwout bearing, which isn't designed to run for extended periods of time. Same reason you don't ride the clutch pedal in your truck. The bearing itself is cheap but you have to pull the entire transmission/clutch to replace it.

Agreed

Got a water pump in my employee's suv. He's back to two vehicles for him and wife/kids. Concern over a wheel bearing was unfounded, just the water pump was super shot, making noise. No evident consequential heat damage. He said it had gotten hot.

Helped some old folks with their vacation cabins, probably been in the family forever-type. They got a new service line, intermediate pole, and meter installed last year, under a bunch of dead and dying trees. A live willow took it down. I'm going to be knocking down some trees while the wire is down. Should be mostly easy shooting. Easy access for mini, native forest, so not worried too much about impact.

I've wanted the bmg rake, but not sure how useful it would be.

Money well spent, huh?

My main uses are pushing snow out of yards in winter and clean up around the house and shop, spreading chips (I spread a lot of chips with it 100yds a week easy), and clean up on the jobsite but just for the big floppers really. It works well on big messes out in the open prolly a good 80-90% of my jobs are on smaller yards with a tight contained mess. The scoops are a must we use them almost daily for picking up the unchippable stuff and stump grinder chips, the perfect tool for stump clean up.
So yes, money well spent they save time and that adds to the bottom line.

I never had a single problem with any extraction... I wouldn't even get the pain pills.
Yup, none needed -- local lidocaine was fine to deal with the initial, then ibuprofen to handle soreness & swelling. Still a bit weak & my equilibrium is a bit off with no solid food for 2 days and the roots being right against the sinuses. Should be okay for work tomorrow, though.

Went out drinking with friends last night. Nobody went to jail to my recollection. I have no bruises or cuts but can’t figure out why my jaw hurts. I do remember telling a younger group that it was in their better interest to not mess with us anymore. I’ll prolly head into town soon to make sure I don’t owe any damages to the bar. My tab was under the name “Storm Breaker” if that tells anyone what kinda night it was. Muppet

Back