How'd it go today?

So be it. As it turns out I think we may stay on the farm and list the other place next spring. Certainly more of a market for a family home on 3/4acre near town vs what we want/wanted for the farm. No one buys much of anything around here in the winter unless they're forced to. I've looked at the stats. So we are in a holding pattern until spring it would seem. Now the wife is cold,on the idea of moving back to the other place. Wants to stay here. I'm ok with that I really do enjoy my shop here. far superior to the 'garage' at the other place.

Lol. Mediterranean donkeys! Those fat little bastards is what they are. Board chewing, braying, attitude giving,......ahhh they are hard to hate. Cute little devils.

Yah the critters will be happier and the wife will be happier. So that should equal out to me being happier too.

Learning more and more mechanical skills, aka stuff was broke. Yesterday, I taught my groundman how to put a starter in his car, which his wife and kids were using, and we happen to catch the starter going out.

Today, I went to troubleshoot his family's SUV (normally wife and kids' mobile) which went down recently. His water pump seems shot, hopefully without other consequential damage. It sounded like it ran ok, aside from the water pump making noise, and the belt's sheave/ pulley wheel moving on the shaft, and then there's the 'stream hole', not a 'weep hole', not one bit. Water just streamed right out it.

He said the temperature stayed normal, not high or low when he was driving it. Unfortunately, now is our coldest time of year, clear skies, and its full of water, not coolant. Thankfully, we are having clouds come in, holding the heat in.

I watched my brother put a water pump in my car a long time ago. Looks pretty straight-forward and accessible. Any advice? I might try to help him out to fix it. 2002 GMC Yukon Denali. I'll YouTube it.

I'm thankful to be on the end of being able to help someone who is deserving help. A lot of challenges in his life, and he's trying super hard to take care of his family, and trying to be the best employee he can.

He is excited to learn stuff that nobody taught him over the last 5 years of doing tree and landscape work. He likes tree work, but not getting younger, currently 32. Wants to be a history teacher. Almost has an A.A., which is a something. Summer tree work, his own little biz, matches well with school teaching, if he can make it back to school. 6 kids.

His last boss was a spur-it-all, going out of bizness, 2 double-hip replacements, old tree man. Before that, he worked for a notoriously dangerous and scare-tactic, regional company. They threw him in without much training and he was hurt on the job twice.

He told me he's never got to run a 661-sized saw before, or a brand new saw, much less get to do the first cutting with a new 661 with a 42" bar, then swap out and get to cut some with the alaskan mill, and show his wife and kids when they came to pick him up. He had a smile on his face. I really want to see their family succeed. They're in a tough place at the moment, trouble getting by day by day.

:thumbup:

Water pumps usually aren't too bad. Getting all the air out of the system is important. Get a new thermistat, too. Not very expensive, and easier to do now, rather than when you've got the anti freeze back in it.

You're a good man Sean. Dave S's advice is solid.

Usually you would gasket maker, 'the right stuff' black rtv is the best I've used. Worth the expense.

With a bit of mechanical aptitude, some common sense, and YouTube, an intelligent person can fix just about anything. Oh, and it helps to have the right tools for the job.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Hell, everybody knows how to swim, some just need a little nudge off the dock to realize it. I always liked teaching folks how to swim. :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kT2KROiSXDg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mixed news again, good and bad.
I found back my ms201T, it wasn't stolen but it followed the others chainsaws of a crew after a border road job.\\:D/
Saturday, some assholes broke a window of my van just in front the customer's yard, middle of the day. 3 chainsaws stolen. One of them was my brand new ms462.:cuss:
Fortunately, I had the ms201T and my old 021 with me, so I can keep working.

Scumbag thieves. I hope they get busted trying to sell the saws. Can't be many like new 462s for sale out there.
:big-mad1:

That sucks. Sorry to hear.

You can chain them through the handles to prevent a smash and grab, if visible. A tarp to cover, at least.

I had trouble with other employees at the sawmill I used to work at taking the sawmill saw. I ran a 3/8" chain through the handle and around a post in the mill. The next morning the saw, chain, and lock were gone. Lucky the building was still there.

That sucks. At least my misery was self induced. I broke the clay thimble going from my wood burner to my flue pipe last spring cleaning out the chimney. Said I’ll suffer the extra on the electric bill till I do my addition ( planned for this coming spring) for the electric furnace to run. Got my electric bill for October ( which el wifo neglected to inform me of) and to hell with that. Almost tripled it and it isn’t even cold yet. Well the new thimble still has the same ID but the OD is 3/4” more. That is a pain in he ass. Now I’m cutting a hole in a recessed piece of clay liner and I’m calling it quits for tonight. Can’t really run the angle grinder when it’s bed time for the kiddos. I’m about to call the furnace guy and have him look at my set up and see what’s wrong. Also ask him about a solid stainless liner and how the system would work with the addition I have planned or if we could reuse it in the addition. From what I’ve gatgered a solid liner will run me a few grand. Hate to put it in and have to toss it out next spring. Other than that it was a great day. Cold rain turning to wet snow, but was out doing my thing. We were left alone doing removals at a country club. Didn’t see anyone but my crew from start to finish. Hope the rest of the week is that pleasant out there.

I helped put a stainless liner in a tall chimney once. I don't see why you couldn't reuse it if you were careful removing it. This stuff was sort of like a slinky and expanded when you dropped it down the chimney.

I’m looking at solid pipe. Takes a crane to set it. The flexible isn’t supposed to be reused. Probably because of the risk of perforation while removing. It’s a lot cheaper though. I’m not far along enough in my plans to not be able to change plans yet.

Ss solid pipe that needs a crane to set? I could be wrong, but i think
that would be severe overkill.... my buddy has had the ss flex stuff for 15 years or so now, and doing just fine, sch 10 would last a few hundred years i would think lol

Flex can be re-used as long as it's intact. Most solid stainless liners rivet together in sections. Drop a section down river the next piece etc etc. I have both a flex liner in one chimney and a solid pre-insulated liner in another. Duraliner is what i used for the solid insulated.

Back