How'd it go today?

IME, if you have to clean it up I think it's harder/unsafe having to wade through the debris.

Got most of the first wall framed this afternoon, in spite of the lumber not arriving until after 2:00.

pAwLoPU.jpg

Don't smash the house!

Exactly our thinking -- much harder to try to extricate limbs and trunk from house wreckage. Plus, no matter the scenario and explicit approval, that does not look good to neighbors or anyone on your web site or YouTube channel. (I can't get with Buckin' Billy Ray smashing an outbuilding because the owner said it was okay. Looked way harder to clean up, no good access for limbing...)

But it was funny to talk about winching limbs through the garage. No, not in the back garage door and out the main front overhead door. I mean through the garage...

More dead trees. Almost no chipping. Small Dead fir, dead dead 80' madrone leaning toward the primaries, but enough single lane gravel road to rig only one piece,

Using dual SRT to two adjacent trees, a good size straight fir 60-70' TIP, and a monster old fir, not super tall but 5' through and Gnarly, if I cut free accidentally or intentionally, I'd hang at the bottom of the V, rather that a huge pendulum swing. Rope lanyard for all the work. Smooth and easy, only two APTA shots for the big fir, and one hand-throw for the straight fir.

Took most all the stress out of it. The vertical cracks looked less ominous as they filled with sawdust. I felt one crack move slightly, and was listening while climbing gently. No rocking against the lanyard, hands and spurs, move the lanyard up.

Quick break dance session to psyche up.

IMG_20180820_133903568.jpg

We've been on 12's this past week which was good for 24 double this weekend alone. I can't wait to see half of it go to deductions. Should still be a good check though. Sitting at home on a straight time day now while they try to fire up the plant. Works for me!

People overstress about deductions IMO. You make x amount and you'll have to pay a certain amount of deductions for it. I like to make more, buy rrsps or whatever needs be to get in the right tax bracket at the end of the year. 24hrs of double time. Nice!

Scott that garage looks like it's going to be nice!

The top is washed out.

The perk of being a tweeker- climber, they are light weight and will forget about the hard to see power line, cable and phone were weighed down by vegetation, 4' of the ground, in part because if a long span to the end, and a down hill.

Stomp them spurs, 'cause when it's spurs and flip line only, you gotta be sure to sink 'em, and dry Marine is hard, and notorious for dulling chain.
I climbed in pole spurs. Skittered our a number of times, grabbing back in with the point.

Ran a 540* wrap, rope lanyard. The tree bore my weight the whole time. Dead madrone stand strong a long time, typically.

Nice job, hella dead tree. Good to know your species characteristics, especially when they're dead

I'll have to see a madrone someday -- never even heard of it till August was talking about wood density with regards to one.
Heck, I'll have to see the Pacific Northwest someday!

Come on out.

Reg has had some pumpkin madrone removal videos.

I've taken out some bigger than this one, live and dead, but nothing to write home about. Nice to spurless climb...gotta have your balance on, as its Slick bark.

I know of one locally with three trunks from the base, about 36", 36" and 48". Since its standing alone, it's hard to tell how big it is until you're touching it. If you brave some blackberry thickets, you can get right to it. Approaching 100', I'd guess. A solid 90', at least.

Its our hottest burning wood. Rarely do I let it go.

And carried about 50 2x6x14s around from the front yard and didn't even grumble!

Contemplating setting trusses with it, but I don't think it will have enough height.

And carried about 50 2x6x14s around from the front yard and didn't even grumble!

Contemplating setting trusses with it, but I don't think it will have enough height.

Gin pole with an eye at the top and a block and tackle, perhaps. You could at least get them up there easier.

Possible attach it to the forks and pick a bunk of wood for more ballast.

I see a Ford poking out of the barn. That must be the family ride. Smart man. Dodge to get trashed for work and the Ford to cruise around in style. 8)

:D

Get bow ties and you?re set for work and play!8)

Another good day. Showed up to our pruning job to find the yard is now a lake. Called the boss and he sent us to a removal job ( thank god, I?m so tired of pruning ). A nice 70? hickory with all the access one could ask for and then a quad stemmed red oak. Would?ve been a great job except for the dog shit. It was everywhere. I told him I?d need to lay plywood since it rained and he said that he would send his son and another kid to pick it up for us after we finished tomorrow. We covered the entire drop zone so we wouldn?t step in the fore mentioned excrement. Those kids are gonna be very angry tomorrow afternoon:D.

Also I think my 4 day weeks will be coming to an end soon. I’m enjoying them, but I also need to add a bit more to my bank account just in case we don’t get the bid on the winter clearings

Also I think my 4 day weeks will be coming to an end soon. I’m enjoying them, but I also need to add a bit more to my bank account just in case we don’t get the bid on the winter clearings
Ja Rich, if you're still seriously thinking about "branching out" on your own, I would think you'd need to pull the full 5 days to really pad things out before making the leap. But that's just a view from here...

Back