How'd it go today?

2 jobs today. It could've been "one of those days" if we would have let it...

Got out a bit late, then had to fuel up (truck + chipper), then do a stop at the farm store for bar oil and boot repair stuff. That plus an hour drive put us at the job just before 11 -- yikes!

1). Overland Park, KS - cleared a fenceline so the homeowner can put up an 8' privacy fence. This entailed removing 2 small cedars, a couple of small mulberries, a couple of small hackberries, and pruning 2 large elms and 2 large hackberry leaders. We've worked for the woman before, previously removing a pin oak by the house and trimming another hackberry. The neighbor behind her threw a fit when he saw us rolling out and firing up the saws, even though she was totally in her rights to trim what she was having us do. While he was fuming and venting, I just hid by the truck and changed out some flippy caps on the 200T and replaced the chain on the 372 -- I figured the less orange helmets he saw, the sooner he'd calm down. Obviously some bitter history there, but eventually he came around and we left on peaceful terms. But it did cost us at least 30-45 minutes of a counseling session before we could even really get rolling on the work itself.

2). Olathe, KS - Removed a 40' swamp maple (climbed & pieced out, then dropped the spar), trimmed back 2 mature mulberries to the fenceline, growing from the neighbors yard (I did rigging and shed roof detail). Then the customer added thinning out 2 more maples (with light crown raising), and dropping a Bradford pear in the front yard. It was not as hot as it's been, as a storm was looming, but it was hitting almost 100% humidity, so we were all soaked. With the additions, that kept us there till after 5 -- and just as we were racing to finish up the storm hit and let loose a soaking downpour. We were already soaked, so it was actually kind of refreshing. Back in a couple of days for stump grinding. Nice to have a great experience with a customer and leave him grinning from ear to ear, having met his objectives of letting a lot more light into his backyard so he can landscape and grow grass.

Fair comment Merle on being aware when pushing too far in the heat...guilty as charged.
Slowing down now, two days left then back to the cold southern hemisphere.

Slowing down now, two days left then back to the cold southern hemisphere.

Have a safe trip.

Finished my last job here and heading home in two days as well. Got enough cash to pay for my new driveway and some other stuff I'll pick up tomorrow, then load up Saturday.

-10C there last Sunday.:coldcold: Mightn't be cold for some here but it is to me, glad I missed it. Only got down to -1 here and that had people talking. -5 forecast for home on Sunday, lucky I left some firewood inside.

-10 is cold enough. We've been having a heat wave here. 35c, where I work now making plywood I'm on the dryer side and it's pushing 45c , that is hot. No sun on you but just blinking makes you sweat.

Sorry, I'm late to the party. I've gathered where Fiona perambulates (Bermuda <-> Tasmania) -- but where do you alternate? Sydney/NSW to ???

Good day in the trees, working in my 'hood. One squeeze-it-in job down the way, canopy raising for a satellite dish, with some chipping, for an old customer. Green wood is soooo much less dusty.
Both ends of my rope floating off the ground, barely.

I jokingly call my self the king of the 60' TIP. I can throw a 60' shot sometimes/ often (works for me, but it's nothing compared to people really good at hand-throwing...I think Greg Lui said he can throw 80 accurately, and more), and often recrotch to DdRT out of a tree at 60', making my go-to 120' rope a stretcher. I use a 200' if I'm going over 125', so I can get to the ground, anytime, SRT.

I took down an 80' dead doug-fir, getting softer as I went up, while tied-in to the beast next door. That it didn't have any 'popcorn fungus' sapwood rot conks surprised me considering how soft the sapwood was. Very steady climbing on this pecker pole to not wobble it all over. Thought back to Reg's video about climbing dead firs. Oscillation builds quickly...eyes up, climb the tree with hands instead of flipline-hopping.

The grove's big trees are about 3.5-4' dbh, but I'm guessing, based on my TIP being at about 60-70', the grove of trees is 180'-ish, possibly a bit more. 3 or 4 canopy-raise over the barn on those, today.
From my high point yesterday, I was able to throw a throw-line another 30' higher in an adjacent tree. My TIP is about a 8-10" fir limb at 90'-ish. Should prove to be interesting climbing.

Yesterday, I spotted another dead tree in their forest near their barn, after finding one of the tall grove trees having phellinus pini, heartwood rot, leaning toward their house a bit. Reckon that's two more that are going to come down this year or next. Will be a new-'tallest tree removal'. I've been up to 130'-140' a handful of times, close to 200' once to deadwood.

The homeowners have watched the trees grow since the 1960s, when the family moved in to the 30 acres with kids, now senior citizens(sister next door, and the mom lives across the street, 93 years old...I got a hug with my check from the mom's last job). An interesting couple of ladies, 60's and just over 70. Business partners, too. They are tattoo artists, with their own shop. Olympians are nuts about tattooing. About as many tattoo shops per capita as tree services.

My ex- is paying $1600 to have a 2 square inch tattoo removed from her back. 'Free' to get, back in the day. Lotta money in the tattooing and tattoo-removing industry.

My ex- is paying $1600 to have a 2 square inch tattoo removed from her back. 'Free' to get, back in the day. Lotta money in the tattooing and tattoo-removing industry.
Why the removal, did it read "Sean Forever"? :P

I knew a girl who had to get devil horn tattoos removed from her forehead. Don't know what she was thinking!

Back