How'd it go today?

Once the damage is done, which can happen to all of us, how you deal with it is what matters to the client.
This pretty much pegs what the family said to me. Once my contract is complete, and the log is off the house, all I can do is let go, carry on. It's in the hands of the insurance and contractors after that. The actual owners got there last night or today while I am OOT. Thay are having a family gathering there in two homes. So I dealt with the family that was there at the other house. They got to see us work and were impressed. Hopefully that will play well.

That totally sucks Stephen, but the important thing is that no one got hurt. At the end of the day that's all that ever matters. Doing this work is literally walking the line of hitting something at about all moments, even worse than construction ime. Make it right with the customer, as I'm certain you will, and then continue like nothing happened.

He's trying to continue a talk about pull lines vs wedges, without talking specifically about this particular incident. I know less about cutting trees than just about anyone here, but i do know about forces. When using a pull line, you are using leverage to overcome lean. All force you exert is more or less perpendicular to the hinge, so no force is exerted on the hinge itself (actually a down force is also present, helping hold the hinge together). When wedging, you have much less leverage, but are using an inclined plane to do the work, so huge loads can be exerted easily. However, the load is vertical, so the hinge has to also withstand the tension created by the lifting of wedges. Now while millions of trees have been dropped successfully with wedges, examining the forces present on the hinge it's easy to see that pulling will exert less on the hinge, and therefore is more predictable. There's a reason why not all trees are attempted by wedging alone. That doesn't mean that wedging isn't useful or improper to use, its just that on iffy trees, maybe pulling is cheap insurance. If I'm doing the tree, i make sure there's enough money involved to allow me to pull it, so i have all the help i can get. It's kinda like tying in twice, yes you can do it without for years, until that one time. I also work in spreading hardwoods here, and rarely get straight up trees like forest conifers that are more conductive to wedging. My .02, which is really like .02 of dog shit lol.

We usually call it 1/2" insurance. A pull line is usually SOP for us as well. I just got over confident and messed up. IMO. Tired, end of day decision and mistakes. I should had just waited till next day, set a line, pulled and wedged when I was fresh. That tree could have stood over night and probably would have hit the lay. Just plain dumb. My mini does not pull fast, I had wedged most of those 24 over no issues around multiple targets. What did Burnam say? Confidence is the feeling you get..... ..
Not gonna further beat myself up. Learn, slow down, move on.

Once the damage is done, which can happen to all of us, how you deal with it is what matters to the client

Standup job, Stephen...normal life stuff....break it...fix it...learn...move on. Cool rigging stuff.

Well done on rigging it off the roof Stephen, hope it all works out in the end. People for the most part appreciate it that when something goes wrong that we own up, own it and deal with it. It's all you can really do. Looks like you are on to it.

Its great that you are able to finish the job after the accident and grow in rapport with the client which could be very beneficial to the way they handle everything.

As to whether it should of had a rope. Thats a hypothetical bore to read, as a matter fact, I didn?t read it very far which means its a paradox that I wearily write about it. I abhor any rush to one size fits all safety redundancies. There, out of energy on the subject. Time for a nap.

Thanks.

Back to our now theoretical discussion...

What I?m saying is not that a pull rope would have saved it once it started to go wrong, but that with a pull rope the hinge would not have been cut.

A perfectly vertical spar needs a thinner hinge than a perfectly vertical tree with an even, full umbrella of branches, because once it starts to go there?s no momentum, and no weight to pull it over.

Who hasn?t had a spar stuck on a stump at a forward angle? Then you have to finish the cut which can make a bit of a lottery of it.

So, a thin hinge, on a dead tree with all the deterioration in hinging that brings.

A pull rope would mean you could have a thicker hinge, less chance of mishap.

I do understand your point, and it is a valid one, Mick. I'm just saying it's wild speculation to say that Stephen would have not overcut his hinge if he had a pull line in the tree rather than using wedges. He made a mistake. But either tool to move the tree to the face could have avoided his error, if deployed properly.

I just have to stand on my position that a pull line is no better than wedges for the task of moving a tree to the felling face, under average lean conditions.

That totally sucks Stephen, but the important thing is that no one got hurt. At the end of the day that's all that ever matters. Doing this work is literally walking the line of hitting something at about all moments, even worse than construction ime. Make it right with the customer, as I'm certain you will, and then continue like nothing happened.

He's trying to continue a talk about pull lines vs wedges, without talking specifically about this particular incident. I know less about cutting trees than just about anyone here, but i do know about forces. When using a pull line, you are using leverage to overcome lean. All force you exert is more or less perpendicular to the hinge, so no force is exerted on the hinge itself (actually a down force is also present, helping hold the hinge together). When wedging, you have much less leverage, but are using an inclined plane to do the work, so huge loads can be exerted easily. However, the load is vertical, so the hinge has to also withstand the tension created by the lifting of wedges. Now while millions of trees have been dropped successfully with wedges, examining the forces present on the hinge it's easy to see that pulling will exert less on the hinge, and therefore is more predictable. There's a reason why not all trees are attempted by wedging alone. That doesn't mean that wedging isn't useful or improper to use, its just that on iffy trees, maybe pulling is cheap insurance. If I'm doing the tree, i make sure there's enough money involved to allow me to pull it, so i have all the help i can get. It's kinda like tying in twice, yes you can do it without for years, until that one time. I also work in spreading hardwoods here, and rarely get straight up trees like forest conifers that are more conductive to wedging. My .02, which is really like .02 of dog shit lol.

Not bad, Kyle. For a fellow swimming in the shallow end of the pool...:P;).

Really, all teasing aside, solid analysis.

break in semester...for three days
made chancellors list again....trading fitness for A's.......

summer blitz coming on

Muscles are over--rated...just kidding. But, you know how to get that fitness back. Good trade-off for now.

The A-list is awesome.

Back