How'd it go today?

Sorry. I was commenting on Dave’s post and went into my rant about a video and audio camera in the office(used to be our locker room kind of). It’s where we became accustomed to hanging out off the clock for a bit to BS and unload our frustrations before going home. Now we have to watch what we say. Basically we would bitch about something with the guys, go home and forget about it. Kinda unwind a bit. Maybe I’m just being sensitive boss

That might be an important point that mgmt would never be aware of...loss of a pressure-relief valve, for fear of what is overheard. Could be worth saying something.

Audio is weird.

Have there been incidents?

By paying attention, I headed off a chipper problem at the pass. The tension pin in the u-joint for the clutch lever had come out one side, so it was "dropping" the clutch. Free to fix, basically. A new clutch, not so cheap.

Did some maple wrecking again today. Yesterday was set-up and half a day of climbing, rigging down leads right onto the chipper tray a lot. Today, rainy, GRCS training video and other training videos with my full-timer, and set up, then my occasional back-up groundman made it for half a day, last minute. I bombed out of the tree, jumped in the car, picked D up at school with a few minutes to spare, and met them back at the shop. Normally she had nanny-care after school, but not today. Only had to change out my soft-shell layer for a dry fleece layer before climbing, and stayed essentially dry all day. I know a lot of people wouldn't work in that rain, but it was spur work, and not too balancy, either free-dropped or roped, no cut-and-chuck. NBD...life in the PNW.

Had a not so good day today.

we were falling Doug fir in driving sleety snow. Enough of it that one had trouble finding the gas can in order to refill, because it had been covered by a layer of wet snow in the interim.

I had to squeeze a fir into a really tight lay, and stayed with it so I could nip the left side hinge if necessary.
As it came down 2 biggish branches came flying back at me. I managed to avoid one, but the other broke my left wrist.
Hit the hand that was holding the saw, the inertia of which added to the damage.
A trip to the hospital confirmed that it had made several fractures in the end of my Ulna bone, where the hand attaches. Bummer!

I have to wear a cast for the next 5 weeks, next week we'll see if I get by without an operation.

End of logging season for me. I don't really have time for this right now.

Typing with one hand sucks BTW.

Stig, do you think the incident happened regardless of bad weather or in hindsight should you have held off and waited for better conditions?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Well, finished off a two day cedar dismantle and removal at lunch today, so that?s nice.

Wife gone back to the UK to see her parents, so just me and Igor for the weekend.

Got to light the fire now and look at a couple of jobs, then fish & chips on the way home.

Could be worse.

Igor contemplating a weekend of poor cooking.

Attachments

• F82AC5A6-23D2-4570-96C5-88542A2D2653.jpg
    F82AC5A6-23D2-4570-96C5-88542A2D2653.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 40
Stig, do you think the incident happened regardless of bad weather or in hindsight should you have held off and waited for better conditions?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Weather had no influence.
T'was bad luck, that is all.
2" to the left and it would have missed me completely.

Fortunately we only have a couple of weeks left of logging season, and all our other clients have been very understanding of the situation, when I called them.
Fractured wrist is a form of force majeure that most people understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Igor look like: "Should I barf now or wait till he has fed me".
Pretty comfy leather coach he has, there.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck, Stig. That really sucks. Hopefully you can find a way to relax and get some enjoyment out of your forced time off.

Finished up a couple small jobs today and then worked on the big bucket truck. Two outriggers blew the lower seals this week. I suspect I overloaded them on last Saturday's job. Front right and back left are both leaking bad. So I jacked the truck up in order to remove the outrigger, which needs to slide out the bottom. See the pic for further explanation. Got the cylinder out and dropped off to get rebuilt Monday. When I get that one back in, I'll pull the other one.

Attachments

• IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0185.JPG
    IMG_0185.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 55
Sorry to hear of your bad luck, Stig. That really sucks. Hopefully you can find a way to relax and get some enjoyment out of your forced time off.

Finished up a couple small jobs today and then worked on the big bucket truck. Two outriggers blew the lower seals this week. I suspect I overloaded them on last Saturday's job. Front right and back left are both leaking bad. So I jacked the truck up in order to remove the outrigger, which needs to slide out the bottom. See the pic for further explanation. Got the cylinder out and dropped off to get rebuilt Monday. When I get that one back in, I'll pull the other one.

I admire your ‘can do’ attitude Brian, I’d be writing out the ch?ques in your shoes.

I guessed two pro fallers is reasonably safe.
How is Richard's production?
I'm guessing he's a heavy-hitter in techniques and production.

Back