How'd it go today?

Wow Gigi,

I have a friend who goes out, and then brings me lots of fish.
the Yellowtail lasted for three weeks!

If I am not careful, my deep freeze would be loaded over maximum from what he brings me.

I have a couple of questions:
Do you attempt to only eat the smaller fish because of mercury?

...and do you eat primarily fish?

Thanks

Frans

Frans, MB is right, I don't eat fish. John and Hillary do, Lauri and I don't. I LOVE to fish. As far as mercury, we don't catch any fish that I would ever worry about that. The dolphin that my mom caught today looks big, but is a very young fish. Of course the sailfish John caught is a "catch and release" fish. The sailfish is good smoked, (if you like fish) but we never have kept one to do that. We do only keep the fish if someone is going to eat it.

It is just fun to be on the water with the sport of it all!

Frans, MB is right, I don't eat fish.

It is just fun to be on the water with the sport of it all!

I respect that!

As for Mercury, my understanding is that the larger the fish, the more mercury.

When I was younger, I worked at a fish packing company. They had a deep sea tuna that weighed 1,450.00 lbs. The guys were really excited about it. They were saying that it was worth ALOT of money. I remember these Japanese guys clustered about it discussing how to begin making the cuts to maximize the sushi quantity.

Now I have come to learn that the larger fish have a greater concentration of mercury.

It is sad that that is true.

I just remembered another detail.

Folks like Virginia, are actually doing the entire sport fishing industry a big favor. Because the sport fishermen are very aware of environmental conditions and the factors that effect the fish population.

It is the factory fish processors, and the methods they use to catch fish that wipe out fish populations. They use Gill nets, ocean floor dragging, etc.

I am not really educated in what goes on....

Sorry for the 'enviro' speech....

Gigi,Butch, Thanks for asking. We trust all will be well-Cathy would prefer I not publish details-she's pretty private about all of her health and personal matters.

Stumper, I don't know what is going on w/ Cathy, but I wish you all the best.

Frans

Sorry Stumper. Hope she makes a speedy recovery. I love high school football, my son is at my old high school's playoff game tonight. They are behind 7-6 3rd qtr.

my day was kinda crappy. the install job we did today took 3 loads from the truck to the nursery and back... not two like I figured. the boys were digging and encountered what was basically concrete for soil. :( so we got 18 of 30 trees installed today. have to go back next friday for the remainder. bad thing is, budgeted time was absorbed today, the next day is coming out of profit. :(
then I worked at the nursery for 4 hours hanging christmas trees and such. I hate 13 hour days.

good news, got 3 more jobs confirmed from estimates today :D

I didn't do hardly anything today. My son and I went to breakfast this morning and then got the oil changed in the car and went to get a new tire I had ordered last week. Visited my nephew and his family over at my parent's "house". Went to Wal-Mart and got motor oil, antifreeze, bar oil, crap like that and then I laid around the rest of the day.
Paul, I don't know how you could anticipate the hard as concrete ground thing. Are these trees going to grow OK?

Ste. dunno, the client bought the trees and we are getting paid to install them. its a mix of clay, fill and yuck. somewhat friable in the top 3 or so inches, hard as a rock under that. There are other small trees and shrubs in the yard that seem to be doin ok so I havs hope.

my mistake was that I estimated this job from a discussion and digi pics, did get a chance to visit the site prior to working at it. Learnin the hard way I spose. :( oh well, its just a matter of my hours getting paid at a lower and lower rate as the time wears on.

Gigi, those are great fish pictures...had to be loads of fun.

I would love to see a sail fish while snorkeling.

Gary, this time of year, late November, December apparently is probably your best shot to see them while snorkling. We were right on the reef. We cruised right by Sombrero Light.

Hey Justin, my best wishes for Cathy.

Paul, you'll be fine. You're young enough that those 13 hour days are still good for ya. ;)

Ste. dunno, the client bought the trees and we are getting paid to install them. its a mix of clay, fill and yuck. somewhat friable in the top 3 or so inches, hard as a rock under that. There are other small trees and shrubs in the yard that seem to be doin ok so I havs hope.

my mistake was that I estimated this job from a discussion and digi pics, did get a chance to visit the site prior to working at it. Learnin the hard way I spose. :( oh well, its just a matter of my hours getting paid at a lower and lower rate as the time wears on.

Paul, sorry to hear about the hard ground. John puts alot of his install jobs at time and material, a per hour charge. He of course estimates the time expected and if he looks like it is going to exceed that, he consults with the client. Here we do deal with actuall ROCK, cap rock, so while we anticipate it, sometimes it is tougher than normal. Remember just a while back, he had to use a jack hammer just to get a hole? That is a rare occurance for him, and he did have to consult with the client...who said go for it.

Hope it works out in the long run! Sell em on something more!!

Back