How'd it go today?

A porty for a basal tie is unnecessary and lower performance than a simple wrap. The weight of the POW will drop the rope down, unless you complicate it more and tie the POW up. A POW is around $100+, plus a sling. For what benefit?

If I wanted to complicate it with hardware in the system, I'd use a munter-mule-overhand tie-off on a steel biner.

Like this guy? ;)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Hl-adOPk15k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sweet Rich!Easy Hemlocks growing out of nursery stumps today. How to spice up a boring removal? Just add yellowjackets in the nursery stump!
Yellow jackets are mean machines Jed, they will chase you down and inflict serious wrath upon any who mess with their nest. I was on a roof a few months ago sawing a live oak limb into bite sized pieces and my ground guy hollered up, "something hot just flew off that saw and burned my arm". I looked at the now shut off saw and looked back at him about the time several more hot things burned him in various other places on his body and he took off running. The nest was right under the eve of the building, I took a cup of gas and poured it down the hole from the roof and the problem was eliminated!

Even some groundies the tree services I climb for would have a difficult time with untying a RB, sometimes a 3way biner stumps them! Usually my job is to simplfy things. :|:

Like this guy? ;)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Hl-adOPk15k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's from a few years ago. trying to minimilistist the base-anchor sling to use a Biner and MMOto knot. The problem there is that you can't extend the rope if you find you're short of rope while lowering someone in an emergency.

The trunk wrap is simplest, for a lowerable system. Occum's Razor.

Yellow jackets are mean machines Jed, they will chase you down and inflict serious wrath upon any who mess with their nest. I was on a roof a few months ago sawing a live oak limb into bite sized pieces and my ground guy hollered up, "something hot just flew off that saw and burned my arm". I looked at the now shut off saw and looked back at him about the time several more hot things burned him in various other places on his body and he took off running. The nest was right under the eve of the building, I took a cup of gas and poured it down the hole from the roof and the problem was eliminated!

Good story Ray!:lol: :O

Even some groundies the tree services I climb for would have a difficult time with untying a RB, sometimes a 3way biner stumps them! Usually my job is to simplfy things. :|:

I hear you there, Peter. Guys like Stephen and I would boast about how, "you shouldn't even be working with a guy who can't put a prussic on your climb line, and tension it enough to get the bowline undone in an emergency." But the reality is: in an emergency... most of the guys that you and I are forced to work with, simply couldn't pull it off. :(

Two or three guys pulling down on the line should be able to free enough slack to untie, and add another rope, I'd think.

I like spiraling the rope a bit on the trunk, to keep it snug to the trunk, rather than a straight down from the last crotch to the base-tie. This forms a base-tie similar to the one in the link, but is really more of a 'tensionless anchor'. This keeps tension off a carabiner used to choke one of the strands. Clear as mud?

image.jpg
Survived my daughter's and nephew's third birthday party. Just relaxing by the fire now chatting with my cousin about video editing stuff. She's gonna let me borrow her go pro for a little while and do the editing for me! She wants me to take her on a rec climb in trade. I don't know how to just climb without working but I'll give it a shot.

I tried turning it and now it stays how I edited the photo.

I like spiraling the rope a bit on the trunk, to keep it snug to the trunk, rather than a straight down from the last crotch to the base-tie. This forms a base-tie similar to the one in the link, but is really more of a 'tensionless anchor'. This keeps tension off a carabiner used to choke one of the strands. Clear as mud?

I like that Sean.

Some guys get to have all the fun.
Some beetle infested and dead pines being harvested at a clients. 100 trees or there abouts. His cousin next door has some more as does a couple more of his neighbors.

Attachments

• IMG_0281ed.JPG
    IMG_0281ed.JPG
    487.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0283ed.JPG
    IMG_0283ed.JPG
    633.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0282ed.jpg
    IMG_0282ed.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0285ed.JPG
    IMG_0285ed.JPG
    514.7 KB · Views: 65
Good Welds, man!!

Sean: I get it... makes sense.

Rich: It's about time. :rockon: (Oh, and I got a three year old too.... they'll run ya off yer feet.)

Had a super easy Sat. doing small removals like this Lawson Cypress. Then the boss called with more Tree On House work... after 52 hours this week, I was like: "Uhhhh...." He said, "Ah, Jed, don't worry about it." Me: :D

unnamed-74.jpg

Beautiful day today. Took out a big silver maple with just two of us. Have an estimate right across the street for an almost identical tree. Jason liked the comm helmets but said that the earmuffs make it twenty degrees hotter out. I told him to quit whining or I'd start singing. Had Johnny Horton's Battle of New Orleans stuck in my head all day.

Back