How'd it go today?

I went to all the trouble of splicing up s basal anchor sling, never have used it yet, small limb removal off a walnut over a garage. Not much rope was left over to base tie on the walnut. Had to really watch the tail end of the climb line on this one, not only the steel roof, but the chainlink fence had barbed wire on the top of it.

IMG_20150606_161030.jpg

Spent most of the day with a pounding headache.

Think I found a short block for my Kohler I blew up. Should be able to get it after this next removal job.

I went to all the trouble of splicing up s basal anchor sling, never have used it yet, small limb removal off a walnut over a garage. Not much rope was left over to base tie on the walnut. Had to really watch the tail end of the climb line on this one, not only the steel roof, but the chainlink fence had barbed wire on the top of it.

View attachment 61525

stopper knot? why did you have to watch it so much?

-- --------------------------------------------------------

The new guy, Sean, was really effective helping me with this tree. We had significantly hot for Olympia weather, and mostly no shade (4' trailer wall for him, and tree trunk for me). Took our time. Didn't start until 11, after bids. Didn't schedule bids knowing it would be the cool part of hot day. Had to run to a bid at the end of the day for a neighbor of customer who also has water/ marina views.

Work seems steady.
Equipment is running, with a bit of TLC needed.
New guy is promising.

Sean seemed to be safe with chainsaw for limbing up a top, with no issue with wearing chaps, glasses and helmet all day. He can develop his cutting technique with more experience and training. Had him lifting and lowering a couple very long limbs with the Mini, as well as just lowering, negotiating the well's power line and HID light close to plumb below the rigging point. Took our time. Lost a couple logs down the bank, as the yard slopes down to the steep drop-off, with this tree at the edge, possibly undercut bank, even. Yay Roots. Not a big deal mostly.

2 bids this morning. One for a honking 6' dbh cottonwood. Not really sure how tall, as it was very obscured by leaves, near the Sound, so Fish and Wildlife permitting. 24" leaders probably at about 60'. Guess what, a big dead section on one side near the base. Great!

Maybe $5k, leave it all in one quadrant to the side of the tree. Overhangs a garage that is 10' from the trunk, and the spread is maybe 80-100'. Crane can drive in, up to the garage, but not spread the outriggers. Would make fast work of part of the tree as a TIP, but no lifting. Loader access only, maybe I can squeeze in the chipper with the Mini to reduce the material to have to work around in the dropzone.

Might not take it on. Its a beast.

Luckily, its one that is only 10 minutes from home base, with a chill repeat customer who was selling work for us to his neighbor, based on past work. Ya know, talking us up. Nice to hear.

Bummer about the grinder, Dave. Sorry to read it, I guess that will slow you up for awhile.

Got some bad news about my brother, it looks as though his life is ending. Cancer has been taking him down, and it just never stops. No rhyme or reason to it, other than some chaotic viciousness of disease that has destroyed a good man who has much to live for. We're quite close, and I've got this terrible lump in my chest. Sucks, man...good health is a blessing, I can tell you. Cherish family and friends.

Sorry to hear about your brother Jay.

Ah, Raj, not a concern of working close to the end, a sharp metal roof edge and barb wire to potentially damage the rope, eh?

Kocked down a crispy maple over a Fox enclosure, of all things, and pieced out another partial dead, that had a cavity full of bird eggs. I managed to grab one and the rest rode the sawblade out of a hole in the top of my face cut. crazy. The lady of the house, made two awesome racks of ribs with potatoes and corn on the cob afterwords. Payment enough! 8)

Fox enclosure? Huh.

I think I had a case of heat exhaustion today. Yesterday I spent a lot of time in the sun drinking beer at the lake for a kids fishing derby. Like from 11 to 8 at night. Felt kinda sick all day, but it got worse when I went and took some trees down in the shelter belt. It was only 85 today, but we are not used to it yet. High humidity. I came in and had to drink a bunch of water, and still felt sick. Passed out and slept for ten mins, drank some more water, and went back to work. Still dont feel 100% after dinner and a shower. I have a gallon and a half in me right now and have not had to piss yet!

Stupid yeah?

It was hot here today too Jim. 90 degrees. I was trying to put more of the deck together in full sun. Had to keep coming in the house to cool off in front of the AC . Trying to stay hydrated all day was not all that.. Just downed another quart of water with dinner. and I feel like my tummy is sloshing

Think a wire cage walled guest house, about 1/3 scale, roof and all.

And jeez Jim, keep up on your water man. That can get ugly.

Piss on water!

prod-slider-advcare-cherpunch.jpg

;)

Today was a public holiday and I was booked to help out a landscaper, I felled a tree for him and ground out the stump whilst his crew dragged branches and stacked em for chipping. Somehow I ended up getting roped into helping chip and this stack was a nightmare, just a big tangled mound of branches which chipped to 20 cubes. Slightly annoying considering I had explained and made a demonstration including props on how to stack nice...

I'm almost back to walking at normal speed...blowing like STINK today in Tasmania, walking in this wind is actually a good workout, I can feel all those internal stitches...
Back home on the couch with the remote and the cookie jar.

I just know there will be wind-related call outs for the SES/Fire Brigade, frustrating being grounded...

Piss on water!

prod-slider-advcare-cherpunch.jpg

;)

I bet you would do even better with that liter of pedialyte mixed into a 2 or 3 liters of water. Drink two of those concoctions, at least, on a hot day, while on the jobsite.

I'm surprised you don't drink more during the day, Butch, with having said how the heat gets to you more as you age.

Our sense of thirst decreases over a lifetime. People also get used to being somewhat dehydrated.

I'm looking into a Coolvest, when there's spare money. Water is free.

You said you have a liter of pedialyte before work, and don't pee until the afternoon, or something like that. I misunderstood, I guess.

Back