How'd it go today?

Up to a certain weight, you can walk on tiles.

Its amazing what a BMG can do for bombed limbs where you don't have to worry about a bit of grabbing dirt (burning anyway), or a bit more tracking around. I got a dense pile of limbs for burning with little more than pulling levers, maybe 6' high, and 20' wide. A short time. When preschool resumes next week after Spring Break, parents will think I had a big crew in. Just me and an Ogre, so far.

Dave, Mr. BMG, said it before, moving brush by hand is the most waste of money around in tree work (something like that).
I did a big area of blackberry clearing, head high and more, 20' wide, couple hundred feet long. Pushing it all up with the bucket. Grabbed, compacted, rolled into a ball with the BMG, and loaded into my chip truck. If I could do jobs like that all the time, I'd quit tree work. Way too easy for the money/ risk/ strain on the body.
I'm going to push a 20x120' swath of black berries into the woods at another house. $325. Probably take me less than an hour onsite, with minimal travel and unloading/ loading. Just go there with the mini, bmg, and bucket.

Normally, if we are chipping, and in a residential setting. Stacking piles maximized the grapple-load, and narrows the pile for access, and lines them up for chipping. A lot more hand-work.

Even picking up big fir limbs and stacking onto small piles is possible.

How's the BMG coming Stephen?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
After being sick all weekend the boss decided to have me do that big oak removal. First pic was from about halfway up after I finished taking off a large limb. Second was my view of the farm buildings after snatching the top. Last is all the wood that the wood choppers club get to deal with. Rope man and ground crew did great. My aim from above was really dialed in as I took some risks and flew a few big pieces. Aside from one untimely stomach issue it was a beautiful day to climb. Arms feel like jello right now but I'm feeling great.

This big mama-jama will require a second day. I was going to put a couple big binders around the ridiculous union, but after a lengthy inspection deemed them unnecessary. Ended up basically treating it as two distinct trees and rigging the lower one off the upper one. The lower was leaning into a adjacent white pine and actually using it for support, while the upper was arching back in an effort to balance itself out. I figure I'll dump out the remaining tops and start chunking down trunk wood next acceptable day we have. It will have to be sliced down to nothing. 8)

DSC04513.jpg

DSC04510.jpg

DSC04517.jpg

DSC04511.jpg

DSC04512.jpg

DSC04518.jpg

It was a tangled mess! haha

I'll tell ya what though. If I could only work on one species for the rest of my rope-n-chainsaw days, it would be these red pine. They are strong, they don't "break like carrots" as Reg would say, and they are not too heavy. Little slippery, but on the whole they are great trees to work in.

Those are nice to work in except the tangled part. Bad part about not finishing is the sap running. It's been awhile since I've had one of those. She's a biggun for that area. Nice work
Thanks Cory and CV. I was hustling to beat the rain that never showed up

I submitted a bid to the owners of the new drug rehab center here in Cando and they accepted it without hesitation. My job is to cut back several hedge rows; trim several trees; cut back overgrowth about the area; do some hedge and shrub trimming; and generally make the place presentable for business operations. Today I cut back about 1/4 mile of hedges, reclaiming about an acre of turf that had been overgrown and covered. I trimmed up an apple tree, a paper birch, and a green ash tree......removing several branches from each. I also neatly trimmed up several little shrubs that had overgrown onto the sidewalk, blocking access to the building. Tomorrow is clean-up day. Lots of crap to haul out. The building has been vacant for nearly two years, with little or no turf management during that time. It's looking better.......a whole lot better.

Joel

Nothing goes better that booze and firearms, the geart American pass time! :thumbup:
I thought it was going to be a nice quiet rain day at home with baby G but alas no two trees nothing big or even fun just floppers to chipper type.

Planned rain day today. Went out to breakfast then hardware. weatherproofed my leather boots & shoes. Next a few hours of housework to catch up on.

Hit the 1k stump mark on my job up North last week...looks like about 300 or so to go:|: Ah well another week or two up there and should have it knocked out. Found a few I missed in the snow but surprised there weren't more.

Already cancelled tomorrow...2 good sized cottonwoods over house & wires to trim and 45 mph winds predicted. Job is over an hour drive so not going to waste a trip then call it.

Went out and played in the rain most of the day. Had all but the top out of a lightning struck oak and Mother Nature decided to show she could win. Lots of thunder and lightning. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Finished chipping at the alder logging/ home site clearing job in town. Poor road access prevented grapple trucking. As its in town, no land clearing burning. Will have an excavator next week. Never run one before. Will use it to drag/ carry logs up the access road. My boxer is not enough for the steep road, and too slow.

We did some cleanup at the preschool, root disease, low-impact logging dealio, in time for a bit more clean-up before the end of spring break, and school on Monday. Trying to figure out from the alder logging deal about what I'll need for the bigger fir logs, and if a 10k excavator with tongs, and an arch would suffice. I might be able to work out a skidding route using fir stumps as rub trees for 40' logs, with a guy up the road with a Garrett 15 little thing.

Windy but no rain, managed to change front end upper control arm bushings in my S10, Saturday looks bad, may be get a climb in on Sunday, but I'd have to use a hand saw, don't like to make noise in residential areas on Sundays. Small job anyway.

Just got done branding some calves. We did 80, and then we work the cows too so we can just turn them out to grass.

We use a calf table because you cant get the high school kids to help anymore, even with 30 bucks, good food, and other stuff.....

Its hard work, I run the table, brand, castrate, and vaccinate each calf, the wife runs em up the chute.

80 is a bit much for a silly fat wanker like me first thing in the spring!

Jim last-weekend I was at a team roping practice where the new steers were getting their horns tipped. What a bloody mess, literally.

Off stump grinding this morning, my favorite Saturday morning activity. Lol.

Back