How'd it go today?

Firefighterzero,

I live just north of Devils Lake. I was in Devils Lake with my wife tonight. I'm sure you could replace that POS flashing light with one from Harbor Frieght.....I heard they make great stuff. LOL. Just be careful which way you throw it. You know where I live....right? Don't hit me with it.

And I'm sure you've heard about the Montanan who was so mad at his North Dakota neighbor that he decided to throw a grenade into his yard. The North Dakotan walked over to the grenade, picked it up, looked at it, then pulled the pin and tossed it back. LOL.

Better day tomorrow, my friend.

Joel

Ha! Thats a good one! Even my kiwi wife laughed at that one.

I am going to try to visit your area this spring, if my winter wheat makes it. My friend just bought a house in Devil's Lake, we went through four years of diesel school together, and he is now the Service Manager at Bobcat of Devil's Lake.

I am looking forward to visiting! Might learn a thing or two from my NoDak neighbors.............pull the pin before you throw!

Did some nice solo work. Started on the preschool, lower impact logging job, which came together with a preschool board of directors decision on Thursday night. Spring break is next week, so I have a window.

I cleared a sacrificial area away from the preschool, in the heart of the pocket, and did some climbing. Many a tipped over stump from storms gone by. Having an Ogre is nice!

4af1299f771490593d1c698c17bb4443.jpg
e1f40812016de456a8f3a98eb725baea.jpg

With a bit of work, I pulled this out of the ground, from horizontal, and picked it up.

Limbed some trees. I was thrifty with saw gas in my 192t, which I used for flushing all branches, ready for the mill. Did one tree up,, topped, lowered, swung over to the next one, plus a small 60', on the way down. Another pair the same way. Gas sipper for solo work.
1f55b8aa08b5c336a4781454f68f2cf7.jpg
2698e7f09699c98b6e47780882f5b960.jpg

Wow that's a shallow footing by Wisco standards. Usually that is at the bottom of a full basement.

Footing thickness runs about 12", +/- all below grade. We had a few spots where we went a bit deeper due to the excavator gouging or mud/soft spot.

Sean, I recently had a HO that did not really want me to limb them out prior to felling and was amazed yesterday when I did two up 100 feet and then felled them. I was just trying to save some trees from being whacked by large spreading limbs. I had two side by side stripped out in less than a hour. HOs don't realise how much easier it is for some trees just to be already cleaned off before they hit the ground. I have a pondo up the street, wide open area to fell the tree, but I am going to strip it out anyway due to the size of the ponderosa's limbs. It would tripod 4-6 feet up in the air and them we would have to deal with that mess. HO just wanted it felled. I told him flat, I would not leave my worst enemy with a dangerous bucking situation like that. This mentality has actually landed up more work.

I like that. I get a lot of those " just get them down" jobs. I won't leave them with something that'll get them hurt. Even when I strip them out I try not to make to much of a twisted mess. Ussually they work at cleaning it up for week and then call me to finish it any way.

Sean, I recently had a HO that did not really want me to limb them out prior to felling and was amazed yesterday when I did two up 100 feet and then felled them. I was just trying to save some trees from being whacked by large spreading limbs. I had two side by side stripped out in less than a hour. HOs don't realise how much easier it is for some trees just to be already cleaned off before they hit the ground. I have a pondo up the street, wide open area to fell the tree, but I am going to strip it out anyway due to the size of the ponderosa's limbs. It would tripod 4-6 feet up in the air and them we would have to deal with that mess. HO just wanted it felled. I told him flat, I would not leave my worst enemy with a dangerous bucking situation like that. This mentality has actually landed up more work.

I do that often, Stephen. Even bombing limbs, an average tree will yield a 40' diameter circle of debris, while throwing that same tree whole may yield a 40'x75' + "cone" from crashing debris as well as thrown debris from the tree's momentum going even farther.

On the flipside, I have given a quote to "get it down" and another quote for clean-up. Then, after seeing the pile of debris, they change their mind and say go ahead with the clean up. I kindly inform them that that price is no longer valid, as I would have done the job completely different had I been cleaning it up.

Exactly same here Scott. If they are willing to clean it up, the mess it shall be. In this particular case, the HO was doing the clean up but we could not block the road with any debris. So it was wayyyyyyy faster to make a little mess on the side of the road we could just push off about 15-20 feet of rather than 120 X 30 feet. The logs stayed on the side of the road and we did not have a bunch of spring loaded trees to deal with while bucking :D

I like that. I get a lot of those " just get them down" jobs. I won't leave them with something that'll get them hurt. Even when I strip them out I try not to make to much of a twisted mess. Ussually they work at cleaning it up for week and then call me to finish it any way.

Happened to me today limb then drop 3 40- 45 foot oaks.. Put the saw in truck guy came out said it was a little more wood then he thought ( once wood was on ground)
Just got it done before easter dinner. Happy easter!!!

Not today but an odd job we just did. Neighbour we have done work for is on the church board. They needed the gutters cleaned... We done it. :)
Just trying the GoPro out
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gMMoyUYjdkE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ugv9HaIMTxg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nothing wrong with gutter cleaning. It's kept Murphy busy for years.

Back in my travelling days I used to collect rock eggs from all over.
When I moved into my present abode 20 years ago, there wasn't room for the glass fronted closet I displayed them in, so I packed them up and since forgot about them.
Today, it being easter and all, I suddenly remembered the old ammo case full of eggs stuck away in the attic, brought them out and gave them to my wife as an easter present.
She quite liked them:)

P1020667.JPG P1020670.JPG

Back