How strong is your grip?

• Thread starter Frans
  • Start date
  • Replies 50
  • Views 4K
You're too modest, Jim. Doing this work will give you the kung-fu grip. I suspect you could easily break bones with a firm handshake. :/:

Throwing around the hydro saw will build some muskles i suppose! I tried it again, got the same about 240 or so.

I can do a one arm pull-up, on a good day maybe 4. Can climb up a rope hand over hand pretty darn quick also. Never been able to bench press much but can curl a lot compared to my weight.

I'm a whopping 155lbs. so i don't have to pull very much.

I don't believe that you can directly compare squeezing one scale to another without considering hand size and the thickness of the scale. That said, for some reason we do not own a scale.

I suck at arm wrestling also. I always blamed it on being left handed. The physical thing I was the best at was throwing.

Thats no kidding, I just don't throw things. Couple throws and my shoulders done!

I won the softball throw every year for the President's physical fitness at school from Jr. High all through high school. I was the varsity baseball pitcher as a sophomore. My Dad even into his seventies could out grip me. He cheated, he milked cows as a kid. I just found the scales and did 200. I weigh 240, so that's 83%.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do think it is a useless benchmark test as each scale is different. I did it again but instead of using my palms on the top of the scale, I used my fingers. I got up to 195.

Started this thread cause I was bored cleaning house......

my scale is digital you have to stand very still till it reads out and i guess i cant squeeze consistant enough

I grabbed a chunk of coal and squeezed and now I have these diamonds that I guess I need to have cut.

I only got 170 on the scale but that sucker is skinny and has a sharpish lip around it-I wonder what I might do with one that wasn't trying to cut my hand?

Palms on top it got pretty close to 250, fingers on top 210. Then I stood on it and got 184. I've trained with weights over half my life and while 184lbs at 6'1" doesn't cut a very imposing figure I've gained some strength over the years. !!BRAGGART WARNING!! I've deadlifted 350lbs 4 times with my barehands (no lifting straps or chalk or bouncing it off the floor).

the more skeered I am the tighter my grip gets...................don't have a scale

Palms on top it got pretty close to 250, fingers on top 210. Then I stood on it and got 184. I've trained with weights over half my life and while 184lbs at 6'1" doesn't cut a very imposing figure I've gained some strength over the years. !!BRAGGART WARNING!! I've deadlifted 350lbs 4 times with my barehands (no lifting straps or chalk or bouncing it off the floor).

Not shabby at all.

Preface:
I did spring training my junior year, playing defensive end.

I've never lifted weights for any length of time, however my senior year, after work, I stopped by the football field house to hee haw with the guys. I was in there gabbing when the defensive coach (friend of mine) wanted to see what I could dead lift since I was standing so close to that station. He told me to pick up the bar; I did. He said it was 515lbs (I was around 210) and said if I would come to practice tomorrow (Thursday) I'd start Friday as defensive end.

Funny story, to me at least (warning, self degrading story):
I'm out on the field for spring training. Coach puts me at defensive end. I hear all this jargon go by and I haven't a clue what it means, nor if it applies to me. I ask the coach "What the hell am I suppose to do?" "Go after the QB every time, ignore the ball." Sounds easy enough, so next play I sack the QB, getting in trouble for hitting our QB. Fair enough I thought, but it did feel good.

A little later I'm back at defensive end, more jargon gets thrown around and the ball snaps. I'm completely focused on getting aforementioned QB when I notice two blurs on the outside of my tunnel vision. Next thing I know I'm looking up at the sky wondering what happened. (two qb protectors (dunno their name) smoked my arse) I shook it off, laughed about my stupidity. More jargon thrown around and the ball snaps. Strangly the same thing happened to me; as I looked up at the sky for a second time, I wondered why I didn't pick up that the jargon was the same both times.

Anywho, I didn't play high school ball as I had started my tree service. Wonder where I would have been if I accepted the coach's offer?

E! That's pretty darn impressive by my standards:thumbup:

Frans! You are making the rest of us look bad to the ladies.
LJ you should have done it. You have the rest of your life to work.

My digital scale only measures tenths of grams and only goes up to 4 ounces, but I maxed it out with my thumb and index finger, barely breaking a sweat. :smokin:

HAHA! now go weigh a candian loonie dollar, it should say 7 grams..... street side TARE. :shirty:

...LJ you should have done it. You have the rest of your life to work.

Who's to say where I would have turned out. I might have been 21 years old, looking at gradutaing this fall going on to the "real world", or I might have been 21 years old with two busted knees and a hard time getting up in the morning.

If I have any regrets, that is not one of them.

Back