How do you structure your days for prep/ maintenance, doing jobs, appts

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm going to try something new. I have D typically from Saturday night until Tuesday night. She has preschool on Tuesday morning during the school year. She has nanny care on Tuesdays this summer. I used to go right from D to the nanny, to running out the door trying to get all my ducks in a row for the days work.

I think I will try Tuesdays and Saturdays as maintenance, admin, and site visits, as much as possible. Schedule customers at my convenience, as much as possible, rather than theirs. ("I have two 30 minute Estimate appointments available on Tuesday, can you meet me at 2 or 4 o'clock?"). I get stuck at estimates waaay too long. I think if I front-load how long an estimate takes, and that I'm busy, and that I provide paid Consultations, as well as free estimates. I figure I can at least offer to take it off the bid for the work, if people bawk at paying for professional advice.

I am developing a Google Document that I think I should be able to link to my website as a Services Request Form. When I go to the doctor's office, they either give me the basic paperwork in advance, or say to show up 15 minutes before my appointment. Seems reasonable to be able to ask people give me specifics on what they want (pushing an apples to apples comparison, by having them starting to spec the work themselves, such as acceptable losses of this bush or that bush, three Canopy Raise Prunes on evergreens and Remove one maple, no stump work, chip onsite/ dispose offsite, firewood rounds at 16". All the stuff where I'll have to ask them the same questions in person/ phone, otherwise.

I hope it weeds out people that are just calling a bunch of 'tree guys' for free estimates, and showcases the extent of services, and educate at that same time (e.g. spurless pruning, root crown excavation/ stem-girdling root pruning.)

Wednesday morning, trucks already fueled, packed, and trailers loaded, all inspected, mileage sheets done, etc... Out the door ten minutes after the day starts.

I have had challenges with taking to long to very out the door due to cleaning, prepping, topping off fluids, etc. Hard to get the job done in one day with a late start.

Probably get a casual dragger-raker to keep production up. Low expectations. My new motto.

I think that will keep me from having to delegate, check, correct, recheck, make sure people do things. Probably make a semi weekly checklist.

Back