How busy are you this year compared to other years?

We, the smart but far more likely just plain lucky of us menfolk, have brilliant women in our lives for many reasons...one perhaps not intended at the outset but surely must be true if we are honest with our selves, is certainly to keep our egos in check :D.

I have started covering a much larger area for work out of necessity and demand. I usually like to stay within 30 minutes drive, however that has now increased to an hour each way. I do live in a very rural area and nothing is close.
Charge accordingly, your time is valuable. It might be a stupid little job but you have hours of road time.

Eh, I'm with Burnham for the most part. But as usual I differ in the details...

@cory, you exhibit some considerable grace to shrug off what I would call an insult.

I can't say that I'd get particularly offended, but I would certianly point out how it was a pretty crappy move. But I'd do it later on, flippantly, with apparent good humor, the next time I was helping him.

Mom said, kill em with kindness.

Used properly, honesty can deliver blunt-force-trauma.

Frankly, I still after more than 45 years of trying to learn better, can have issues hearing what my beloved westcoast born and raised wife is saying straight out, rather than interpreting them through the filter of the hidden cutthroat messages my mother and even more sweetly vicious grandmother laid just under the surface of their communication with me all those many decades ago.

Last edited:
This is a fascinating conversation! Especially interested in the impact of travel time since my wife and I have analogous experiences in her work as a visiting social worker and mine as a industrial/commercial electrician.
My wife is like Sean Kroll. She mostly gets clients in her urban zip-code which means a short walk or at most a 15 minute drive! By contrast I often commute 1 to 1.5 hours with no gas or labor pay. Sometimes the company will have me driving an hour north to work near another employees house who is driving an hour south to work near my house! This in-efficiency drives my wife up the wall! I think it’s just the way it’s always been and out of my control. Like Kile’s wife she also hated when I went on the road during the 08 recession. Work does seem to be slowing down for the company I work for. Still enough for their core people but they are using less temporary labor and easing up on the overtime. I see lots of commercial and residential new construction driving around but we seem to have less of the industrial machinery adding and musical chairs we did in other times.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm looking at maybe having more time for working on the milling ends of thing. I need to make some covered, level storage for drying and a sawmill shed or cover.

Better weather is here, so more calls will come in.

Back