Do what you need to and bill me

Treeaddict

Treehouser
I have a customer who now just says “use your judgment” and doesn’t want a price up front. It’s kinda strange because every job I’ve ever done for someone was bid or flat rate. I guess it’s a great thing but I’m nervous he’ll get upset with one of the bills sooner or later.

I’m currently doing storm cleanup and preventive maintenance as well as some of his pruning requests.

I don’t deal directly with the homeowner although we’ve met and spoken quite a few times before. My friend is the go between as he’s basically in charge of the property and projects. I bill my friend who gets payments from the owner.

Anyone have an open ended billing go sideways?

Ok so the owner has some dough. Basically is what they are saying is they trust you to do an immaculate job to care for their trees as if you are the owner of the trees. It’s a great situation to be in, charge a fair price and you probably will have a customer for life, yours or theirs. Often in these situations you tend to go the extra mile in caring for their property like laying down mats, blowing out the flowerbeds of every last saw chip, getting the very last pencil sized twiglet hanging off in outer space, repairing any turf dings quickly…… They want treework right and perfectly and will pay for it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My tendency with clients like that is I end up not charging them enough. I do it to myself. But yes, it's a matter of trust that you are a fair and honest man.
That’s my fear, I won’t charge enough. I hafta be BOLD!!

I wouldn’t do it.
I know some people consider it an ideal situation, and some clients are so rich they really don’t care, but I don’t like the idea.

I have a customer who now just says “use your judgment” and doesn’t want a price up front. It’s kinda strange because every job I’ve ever done for someone was bid or flat rate. I guess it’s a great thing but I’m nervous he’ll get upset with one of the bills sooner or later.

I’m currently doing storm cleanup and preventive maintenance as well as some of his pruning requests.

I don’t deal directly with the homeowner although we’ve met and spoken quite a few times before. My friend is the go between as he’s basically in charge of the property and projects. I bill my friend who gets payments from the owner.

Anyone have an open ended billing go sideways?
Customers like that, I charge a flat day rate for the appropriate crew.
I like to have them walk with me before the work begins and ask for their opinion on certain parts of the property and get familiar with their goals, fears etc.
Now, while I am working, and since they trust my opinion, I make notes of things I see beyond our previously discussed work. Then I have a chat with them at the end of the day. Show them what I saw. What I feel should be done. Schedule another day? Yes I trust you, please do.
Schedule the work and crew. HO already knows what it will cost. You just handed him/her the bill and told them, it should not take more than day(s).
When you go back and do the agreed to work, take notes again. Wash rinse repeat.
Make your day about 5-6 hours min charge. Then if you feel and can go do a drop and walk or something to add to the day, perfect.
People actually appreciate my shorter days with them. Does not pin them down for the entire day. Gives us both options.
End of a three day stint today. Out before 1 pm.. got my days pay every day. One day I make a quick c note solo to drop two oaks. 20" bar leaning to the lay. 15 minute drive.
Just take advantage of the situation with out taking advantage of the client.
After all, you are still getting approvals on the work. If they just want you to make the call with out seeing your list. Say, " I would feel better going over this with you. They are your trees, not mine, and I cant just glue it back on. My crew is great but....."
Usually gets a chuckle and some co operation.
Take notes and pictures.
I have a lot of clients like that, and they are often not on site. Best to send a picture by text and explain what you see.
I made some extra bank on one job by taking 4 more trees down that were beetle infested. Customer wanted to be proactive. Sent pic and my opinion. Texted back that they wanted me to just do it. Oh look. An on the fly contractual agreement :D

I wouldn’t do it.
I know some people consider it an ideal situation, and some clients are so rich they really don’t care, but I don’t like the idea.
I hear you. It’s awkward. Not so much about money but scope. I did lots of back of property storm cleanup by the hour and billed him and it was fine. I’m gonna have to get with him about the preventative maintenance once the emergent situations are rectified. That’s where I don’t want to assume. We went over some trees in the front of the property so I know what he wants there. But, I need to know if he wants that in the wake of all the storm work. Yeah, I just need more communication with the owner to feel comfortable.

Customers like that, I charge a flat day rate for the appropriate crew.
I like to have them walk with me before the work begins and ask for their opinion on certain parts of the property and get familiar with their goals, fears etc.
Now, while I am working, and since they trust my opinion, I make notes of things I see beyond our previously discussed work. Then I have a chat with them at the end of the day. Show them what I saw. What I feel should be done. Schedule another day? Yes I trust you, please do.
Schedule the work and crew. HO already knows what it will cost. You just handed him/her the bill and told them, it should not take more than day(s).
When you go back and do the agreed to work, take notes again. Wash rinse repeat.
Make your day about 5-6 hours min charge. Then if you feel and can go do a drop and walk or something to add to the day, perfect.
People actually appreciate my shorter days with them. Does not pin them down for the entire day. Gives us both options.
End of a three day stint today. Out before 1 pm.. got my days pay every day. One day I make a quick c note solo to drop two oaks. 20" bar leaning to the lay. 15 minute drive.
Just take advantage of the situation with out taking advantage of the client.
After all, you are still getting approvals on the work. If they just want you to make the call with out seeing your list. Say, " I would feel better going over this with you. They are your trees, not mine, and I cant just glue it back on. My crew is great but....."
Usually gets a chuckle and some co operation.
Take notes and pictures.
I have a lot of clients like that, and they are often not on site. Best to send a picture by text and explain what you see.
I made some extra bank on one job by taking 4 more trees down that were beetle infested. Customer wanted to be proactive. Sent pic and my opinion. Texted back that they wanted me to just do it. Oh look. An on the fly contractual agreement :D
That’s a great scenario Stephen. If only they could all be like that! The customer is still very much involved the way you described which is what I like.

I’ve done hourly in lieu of day rate so far because it’s more or less working when I get over there. I do love jobs like that. Get home from plumbing and get in the trees for 3-4 hours!

Unless you know the client, I strongly feel it is a odd business arrangement to step in, willy nilly, and agree to do a job without itemizing the work and settling on a price with the owner. Legally / morally, for either party so many things could go south.

I've been on both sides of that issue with summer-home residences in my locale. Seldom ever see the owners. Talked to realtors on the landline, before cell phones, and they'd say, "Go to this residence. There's trees threatening structures. Take care of it and send us the bill."

It's weird.

I was very recently burned by an arrangement similar to what you describe.

I work for this high flying realtor each year,he used to be a lawyer. Each year I would do one or two days tidying up around his home. We would walk around together writing down the jobs,I would give a price and when done send the bill. This arrangement worked right up until it didn't.

I did two days there and sent the bill. He claimed I worked only one,I asked him to view his security camera footage or talk to the neighbour I spoke with on both days. He sent me a picture if the quote sheet that lacked a price but listed all the tasks as well as a paragraph from the law pertaining to bills that don't have agreed prices.

I walked into that one.

I did it for 10 years until Covid stuck its oar in.
The property owner is an ubermega wealthy personality. I basically worked with and for the manager day to day.
We'd walk the various properties, discuss the work and I'd get on with it Hire who and what I needed to get it done..
Itemize my time, my helpers, and any contractors.
Detailed list of work done, billed weekly.
I remember the first day, I asked the manager if they wanted a list of my rates...they said 'no, but just don't pad the bill' I was trusted to do what was right. In was also dead sure I had been background checked due to who the client was. The manager was a consummate professional, someone you just knew would be fair but not brook any nonsense. Period.
It worked. But you MUST be clear with each other about expectations and have open communication. If I was ever unsure about anything I would ALWAYS ask.

Back