Hearing loss from tree work?

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
Title says it all. Who's hard of hearing? As soon as the new year comes around we have new insurance that covers hearing tests and I am going in for a test. As long as I have been doing tree work, I have always used hearing protection but not so much in other jobs. One job that I had for several years (seasonally) involved me walking behind a Cat with a large vibratory plow installing phone and fiber optic lines. That plow was super loud and we never used ear plugs. My wife and my partner both think I need hearing aids already. Has anyone else had hearing aids since their 30's?

I'm very hard of hearing, but it ain't all from tree work.

I've got a little ring to the ear but it's not all from running chainsaws .Ring or no I still hear fine .

I've got some ringing. I have a hard time focusing in noisy rooms. I hear everything around me, more than the people in front of me. I've been wearing earplugs and muffs of late. Hunting and shooting have contributed more to mine. I think!

I'm a wimp. I've worked with a partially deaf guy from tree work for three years. Never wanted to get like that. I wear them when I vacuum my truck I'm such a wimp. Almost puts me in my own little world, it's great.

I have a little hissing sound that started up pretty recently. Just hope it goes away. Some folks can recover, but the percentage is relatively small.

I've had it come and go for years .It seems to be hanging in there a little longer than before though .In the industrial noise at work I don't hear it at all .

13 years in machine shops, loud music in concerts/cars/home and a lot of guns, I have tinnitus something fearce and about a 30% hearing loss.
Most saws don't bother me much, but I grab the ear muffs every time I fire up the 046!

If they're not bothering you, you have a hearing loss.

Brendon, nothing wrong with protecting something you can't get back. Believe me... being deaf SUCKS.

I'm a wimp. I've worked with a partially deaf guy from tree work for three years. Never wanted to get like that. I wear them when I vacuum my truck I'm such a wimp. Almost puts me in my own little world, it's great.

I'm with you. I'm always wearing ear plugs.
In the tree with yelling communication, I have at least my right (saw) side plugged.
I wanna hear music when I'm older.......

Get better at using hand signals, and protect BOTH ears, brother.

Buying the flip up muffs that attach to the helmet was the best thing I've done this year. Lets you flip them up fast, and replace fast. Not to mention the winter warming factor. They suck pruning though, thought about a muff less set when I have a few extra bucks. The little tabs sure get beat taking them on and off.

The ear muffs that are on my Stihl helmet have nothing but a relatively thin (cheap?) piece of foam inside the plastic covering. I took some high grade dense foam from an upholstery shop and stuffed it in there on top of the original. It makes a difference. There is foam and then there is foam. Are all hearing protectors made with such cheapo stuffing? A friend mentioned that he could give me some thin flexible sound proofing to put in my muffs, but I haven't tried it yet. I like to hear what is going on a bit with the muffs on, especially at crane jobs when folks are sometimes shouting to get my attention. Looking for just the right protection that will still allow an awareness of sounds going on.

I have a loss of hearing from cutting when I was younger without protection. I also used to play the drums for over a decade and I think the combo cooked my ears. I am very strict with my crew now about them wearing ear pro. Flip up muffs are the ticket for easy communication.

I started wearing earplugs right when I started running saws for the Forest Service in 1989. I don't think I've lost any hearing ability but I am more sensitive to loud noises. I bring ear plugs to movies and concerts.

I get some ringing every now and then, but it goes away. Love the flip down muffs, started using them earlier this year. For those that use them, I have a 105 pair and a 95 pair. The 95's are great for general work, slimmer profile than the 105s, and I don't notice a huge difference in noise reduction. Love them for everyday use and climbing. The 105s I use on days when I'll be running a saw a lot, cutting firewood, felling and bucking, etc.

I've noticed a slight buzz/hummmmm when it's quiet lately. BUT, worse now is that I can't tell the direction sounds are coming from. VERY annoying.

Back