Hearing loss from tree work?

I'm 31 and have horrible tinnitus that comes in episodes, usually 4-6 times a year and lasts for three days +/-. I have my hearing tested once a year for the last three years and it has been a steady decline mostly in the lower ranges. I'm obsessive about hearing protection when I work, think I lost most of it from playing drums, but I really think chippers are as bad as it get's in our day to day work.

I always rock muffs on my helmet, but one thing to consider is the ability of your safety glasses to negate their sound dampening by trapping them in the foam of the muff. Been using husqvarna safety glasses these past few months that have pivot points on the stem allowing you to hook em over the muffs while still keeping a good orientation. One of the most innovative safety glass designs I have seen and have not yet seen them elsewhere.

when my tinnitus is heavy I cant hear most of what is spoken to me, but typically I still understand it

I ALWAYS used mufflers or plugs when working. I even wear plugs when turning wood.
Still have some tinnitus and I was supposed to pick up my new hearing aids this week.
Had to postpone that, becuse I got sick, but from sometime next week, I'll maybe be able to hear birds again.
I'm quite looking forward to that.

Nothing better than hearing the sounds of Spring, when they arrive.

Mine is too surprisingly .Eye sight is too for that matter except my arm got too short .Far sighted ya know .At 200 yards I could count the hairs on a flys' butt but 6 inchs away I can't tell it from an eagle .

I've noticed the safety glass arms make a difference with muffs. I wear these low profile one from Stihl. They're about $3 each (4 for $12, in pack, two clear, two tinted). They were much more comfortable than a thicker arm, pressing against my head when I wear muffs. I can't say for sure how much it affected the sound dampening, but I absolutely would wear them both more when they are more comfortable.

I've heard that muffs deaden the internal vibration to your ear bones through your body. Wanna say mastoid process (little point of the skull behind earlobe area), on up to your three little ear bones and associated tissues.

I like the Silencio silicone, corded ear plugs.

I kinda like being off in my own world with my thoughts time to time, when I can't hear due to sound blockage.

Huh? What did you say?

After several year of this I got a set of behind the ear aids, only about $3400 for the pair. They help a lot in crowded conditions. Don't wear them much on the job as I can still hear the chipper and chain saws quite well. Loss was from a Asplund chipper bought in '73, chains saws several without mufflers, hunting and artillery in VN. Biggest problem now is selective hearing according to my wife.

Huh? What did you say?

I have substantial hearing loss at 37. Not so much a ringing problem, I can notice that if I focus on it. But in general if there is any background noise, I can't hear a conversation at a normal volume, at all. When things are silent, I can still hear fairly faint noises, atleast they seem faint to me. I haven't taken any steps yet as far as testing or hearing aids. I often think I should, my wife and daughter complain about it quite a bit. Pretty much have loud work and music most of my life to blame. All of my life I've been fairly decent about hearing protection, but the accumulated times of overexposure for whatever the reason have taken their toll on my ears.

Sucks.

Well, I've had my new hearing aids for almost a week.
While it is certainly nice to be able to hear again, it will take some getting used to the amount of noise in the world, after living in my own little cocoon.

It is great to be able to have a non shouted conversation in a moving car again, great to be able to teach a karate class and hear clearly what everybody are saying.
Also my wife enjoys not having to listen to the news on TV on max. volume.

But the sound of the dogs walking on our wooden floor is really annoying and the first time I went to pee, I just about fell over from the shock.
The sound from the toilet bowl was so loud, I thought I'd stumbled into Niagara falls.

I'll be going in to have the hearing aids readjusted after x-mas. I've been asked to keep a list of things and situations that are annoying/too loud. Apparently they can adjust the aids so it gets less annoying.

Yes; they plot the frequencies on the computer, and use that information to adjust the noise-cancelling feature. They can lower response to certain ranges of frequencies, and boost others, kinda like an equalizer in your stereo.

Modern hearing aids are way sophisticated.

Bump.

Looks like ill be on the hearing aid train real soon. To the tune of $4,000 too. Any suggestions from those who have them?

Damn, I do believe I'd go w/o unless I simply couldn't hear anything. I'd be like T Edison and enjoy the silence.

You're telling me. I can't even write them off,as far as I know. I am going to try the selective hearing route a little longer.

Seems like it would be hard to write off unless being able to hear would be protective of your person while doing tree work, required for listening to customers, and a safety issue for driving to bids and jobs.

Hearing is a good thing. At a point, hearing impairment starts to cut into life. Sorry to hear your ears are going south. Hearing aids could be a great thing. So often people don't do things because of stigmas, but then after they final make the jump, are happy with all the things that they can do and enjoy.

Back