Hazard tree contract fallers

Burnham, it is always nice to see guys our age, who are still going strong.
Nice pics. Especially the ones of the ponderosa pine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Burnham, when you get time I'd like to see a picture or diagram of that vertical boring you were talking about. I can't picture it in my head, and the way I'm reading it just doesn't seem like it would work.

You may have to teach me how to draw on a .jpg file, like you did showing where you were going to put that vise and fix the step on your bucket truck, Brian. How's it done?

I open the picture with Paint, draw in my doodles and then hit 'save as' and specify saving it as a .jpg file.

PM me your phone number and I'll call you and walk you through it if you want. :)

OK, I think I figured that out, Brian...thanks for the pointers.

Here's how that bore cut works to increase the flex in the hinge. Look where I painted in a red line right under the apex of the horizontal and slanted face cuts...visualize boreing in right there, right in line with the front side of the hinge wood, right up to that intersection, but not past it. Let's first imagine that you bore all the way through the tree and exit on the far side in exactly the same orientation to the hinge. What you would have accomplished would be to make some room with that bore, as wide as the kerf, that would allow the hinge above it to flex further forward as the tree commits to the face before stresses begin to break it.

In green wood of a species that hinges well, this doesn't really help much, but in dead wood or species that are brittle, this additional room to flex allows the hinge to hold a bit longer than it otherwise would.

Now back up to the boreing again...if you only bore in partway, say 1/3 of the diameter, you have set things up to have the hingewood on the bored side to flex better and thus hold longer than the un-bored section. So the tree should swing to the side you bored.

In reality, I mis-stated when I said Richard "swung" that tree 40 degrees...what he actually did was faced it 40 degrees to the side of the head lean and improved the holding capability of the hinge on the opposite side with the borecut. It swung a little, but mostly he kept the hinge functioning even though the heavy lean wanted to rip it off early on the side against the lean.

When I asked him about the bore, he didn't go into an explaination of how it worked, he just said something like "makes the hinge hold better on that side". He also said, "if you take a block out right there, it'll hold even more". It took me about half an hour of chewing it over in my mind to figure out WHY it worked...but I'm pretty sure I have it right.

Attachments

• boretofell.jpg
    boretofell.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 270
ahhhh I understand what your saying.. Im gonna have to try that.. Will have the opportunity sometime soon im sure.

Amazing, who'dathunkit? :|:
This was obviously dreamed up by somebody who thoroughly understands the mechanics and physics involved in hingewood. I'm not sure I completely understand how it would work but I'm looking forward to testing it out at my earliest opportunity.

Does the vertical cut extend into the notch area or do you leave some wood isolating it from the notch? :?

Extremely close, Brian. It seems the desired position was actually an intersection of the two face cuts and the bore cut with no overlaps past any of them.

Cool pics Burnham, always good to watch pros doing there thing.
I see the possibilities of the bore cut. I remeber watching an old faller using a "block face" (a block cut out as opposed to the usual gob) which he said maintained the holding wood longer. I have used it on several ocasions myself topping out big trees, but without the understanding of the mechanics. I can see similarities in the two methods as the hinge flexes for longer.

Would that be a 150' tall stump?:)

Dave

No, I didnt mean that stump. The poster I'm talking about has 2 oldtimers working on top of the stump they just made from 1 of a 2 leader redwood. There's a pull cable hanging down from the remaining leader, probably Jerry had put it up there...

The caption is, "We came, we sawed, we conquered."

Burnham, do you have any pics of a stump with the cuts in it?

No, I sure don't Cory. Maybe I'll get a chance to get one when I'm out there next week. Wasn't much to see different than a normal humbolt face unless you looked real close and saw the bore cut.

I've used that cut for years on virtually all trees that we pull in.
I just don't use it on a humboldt but on a convenyional one.
We just refer to it as a vertical cut, for obvious reasons or A German, for less obvious reasons.
I don't even know why it's called that. Invented by a german faller, perhaps?

so do you keep it below or move it to the top? keep it low id guess, for the conventional face

Is this something like what Jerry talks about on page 279 "the gap" in his book?

I looked it up, Steve, and his discussion of the effect on holding wood is consistent with my analysis of the bore.

I'd forgotten that bit of Fundamentals...nice to see the general thought process in Jerry's words echoing my own.

Wow i would love to hang with a felling crew for a bit and learn.
Burnham what do you guys do when one sits back hard on the wedges?
Really hard .

Back