grcs, rigging, and dingo, have offer...is it fair..what say you all?

Probably leaving Sunday evening/afternoon and staying in SanBerdoo...Then head your way Monday. Appreciate the couch, that would be awesome. Should be there Monday night or Tuesday AM. Then head right back. I'll get the info for Sante Fe when I get there. I have to be back here by Thursday night...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
stephen was here,, picked up his sweet lil dingo, and is now trying to make it home, he left today with it.
unfortunately i only got to bs with him for about 2 hrs before bed, but it was god to see him regardless
and im happy he has a new toy to play with, i know it will help him as much as it has helped me
treehouse family rocks...from willy to me to stephen..

The Wild Ride Of Mr. Toad.........

I left for Tucson Monday late morning after a good nights rest. Missed all the traffic (save a little) skirting the upper side of LA County. I took my little pad with me to keep in touch but it would not hook up to the internet any where. I had no phone with me, so it was ind of a bummer. I finally found a truck Stop in Indio CA (Near Palm Springs) that the computer would connect to the WIFI. Let everyone know I was making good time.. Tell the kids I miss them and all that. That all was well... And it was... Right up to about the time I got out in the middle of BFE no where in AZ on Hwy 10. Just out o the blue.. The van stopped running at 78MPH.. All gauges looked fine right up to it. Still had lights, battery... Coasted to a stop and tried to start it up... Seemed like it was not getting fuel and I had enough to get to Phoenix unless it was lying. I was about 59 miles East of the Colorado River. Pretty much NO WHERE. Middle of the night. I walked up to each mile marker so I knew where I was. Decided to hope some one stops by by morning (State Cop?) and crash in the van until day light to get my bearings and make a decision to hold with the van or start heading out for the last civilized place, Many miles back. You now that place, you rack your brain over where and what truck stop, rest area or town you saw last and approx how far back. Only had a CA map, so I was beyond that border of paper. I did know it was 59 miles to the border and there were a couple of places between where I was and where that was. No one stopped after a few hours, so I took the kids car seats out o the van and placed them next to the van so I might guilt someone into stopping. HWY was busy enough. Could not even sleep with how the van was rocking from each passing truck or car. NADA.. No one.. I got a couple winks. Listened to the radio news (No FM out there) and watched the sunrise.
I decided I would try and flag down someone.. NADA..
I wrote a note... Dated it, gave a time I set out in which direction on what side of the HWY and set out on foot.
Thank the gods I brought my boots.. Mil Spec desert issue.. Comfy for the trudge. Hiked for 6-7 miles and saw a stranded truck and one of those hwy service guys that fix them on the road. Went and talked to him. No he was not going to help me. Could he call the State PoPo.. Nope... Could he call a tow.. Nope.. He was only there to work on that truck and I must be some crazy dude escaped from somewhere to be waking out in the middle of no where with a briefcase stating I needed help. :roll: People are scared these days I guess. Surprised he did not pull a weapon....
hike on.. Sign said rest area closed next exit, well maybe there will be a bathroom, water and a phone, or any one of them. NOPE......
However... there was a crew working there. I stopped and talked to one guy. He said he had no phone but pointed to who was obviously in charge there and said he did.
And he did.. He also told me he was driving back to the next truck stop for some coffee and how would I like a ride. I had already hiked about 8 miles going on nine. No biggie... But still. Hell yeah.. I'll take a ride. We went to the truck stop, got some info and he let me use his phone. Then he decided to call where he and his crew were staying and get a referral of someone close that could tow and fix the van. Then let me call Kat.... Dude was awesome.. Once he knew I was ok and had someone on the way, he went to attend a meeting back where I had found him.. I wish that man all the good karma the universe can muster.
I was blessed in not being just picked up with my thumb out.
Mechanic shows up with a car trailer... takes me to this little town up the 60 HWY (20 miles or so off the 10 and more out in the middle of no where :lol: ) to his garage. Just opened it a year ago. Digs in right away (place is stacked with work) and figures out the timing is out and the distributor is the issue. Has one on hand and tears it up, gets it running, and does it for reasonable price. No wonder this guy is highly recommended. Local guy grew up there. Just married a girl (second wife) a little younger that had a crush on him in high school. Son and a couple of cool guys also work at the shop. The banter was funny as all hell... All I could do was sit there, smile and happily pay the bill.....
If there is anyone that ever travels out that way and needs help... He is the guy. Hats off to you and you shop Mr. Clark Leach!! C&D Auto Repair Harcuvar, AZ just south of Salome. I can not even begin to express ho grateful I am for your services and in expediting my repairs! Amazing job man! Thank you for letting me use your phones to let Katy an the kids know I was ok. To talk to Dave on his way home coming from Las Vegas. His father had a heart attack and surgery BTW.
Back on the road again.. I went trouble free through Phoenix (damn rush hour but......) and on my way to Tucson. IO arrived in Tucson a tad late to go do the dingo... I decided to accept Dave and Kristy's hospitality, take a shower and spend the night there at their new home.. Thanks you guys!
Sure was good to see them again even though we really only got to visit for a little bit before bed. Dave had to be at work in the AM and Kristy had a lot going on as well the next day. We went over to the farm and picked up the dingo after I chased down my reserved trailer :roll:. Worked out that it was closer to their place.. but still. Calls were made to hold the trailer for the extra day. I doubt they even had it in the first place :roll: It's ok.. Worked out....
Left Tucson yesterday around noon and headed back, trouble free, missing all the rush hour spots. I had forgotten my asthma meds and I was having breathing issues or would have stopped and seen Nick Araya on my way back North. I did stop at that same truck stop again and got on line to text Kat and post in FB that I was doing ok.
Pulled into the driveway at 4:30AM this morning.. pretty whooped and went to bed. Only to catch a cat nap until the kids (really excited about a new tool/toy in the front yard) woke me and Kat up. Of course it is raining out.. We don't get to play with the new gear unless it clears.. Well, I did a little just for the boys amusement. Unloaded the dingo and unhooked the trailer in case we need to go to town. Put the attachments on a pallet and scooped up some chips/mulch for the kids to see. Threw a tarp over it for now.. Hope the rain clears sometime today. :)
Feels good to be home. Looking forward to using the dingo on a job Friday.
Sometimes... Things just have to get a little screwy so you can appreciate how it all works out. :)

Awesome, and nothing better than finding a good mechanic when you need him most!

We only have one and I let it with Kat.. I am finally going to buy one for me this year. Up until recent, we hardly had service past town or home or Yosemite. Now, there are more towers. Last time I went that route to Phoenix, the I 10 corridor was pretty dead with some exception. Now it is lit up. Things change.
Guess I still am a bit old school... Grab a map and go kinda guy.
I travel mostly by memory between here and there anyway.
Kristy loaned me her GPS so I could find my way around their part of town while I was there. It was not on the map I had. First time I really ever used a Garmin... :lol:

Man I hate traveling. You are just at the mercy of strangers... I once woke up in the wee hours of the night, on the back seat of my 67 Galaxy because it was all quiet.. A hitch hiker I had picked up was driving and the motor had blown.. He had no idea what had happened. Looked under the hood to find a cloud of steam and a burst hose and blown motor. Later figured out he had been doing over 100mph for 4 hours then blew a hose... I picked out the best of my belongings (which included my climbing gear and saw) and got on an am track....

I like to start home now..

Man I hate traveling. You are just at the mercy of strangers... I once woke up in the wee hours of the night, on the back seat of my 67 Galaxy because it was all quiet.. A hitch hiker I had picked up was driving and the motor had blown.. He had no idea what had happened. Looked under the hood to find a cloud of steam and a burst hose and blown motor. Later figured out he had been doing over 100mph for 4 hours then blew a hose... I picked out the best of my belongings (which included my climbing gear and saw) and got on an am track....

I like to start home now..

Thats a crazy story Paul!

That's one helluva story and ordeal!!!

makes the story of getting the dingo even more interesting doesnt it, glad youre home safe bro

a suggestion put the forks on and slowly practice flipping over a log end over end,, rolling it, and turning with it on the forks, before you get into a tight spot
also if you are dumping in a hole, dump in front of it, then push the item in it, otherwise you may stand her up on its nose.
have fun, and play safe

Are you sure you're name is Stephan, and not Andy? Sheesh!
And people wonder why I stop and check on people stranded on the side of the road!

WoW, Great News, Stephan.

You're stoked. You are the Warrior.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XDuWFYOTyqA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yikes!

220px-Patty_Smyth_2011_Shankbone.JPG

Road trips always panned out interesting for me all my life. I used to keep journals on my cross country drives and such. Pretty fun, wild, crazy, testing stuff happens on the road.. Always interesting.
Mini clocks into work tomorrow... Pasture clearing job and firewood gathering on a property where the drags get long and the terrain has places she'll go. A guy that answered my add for free wood is going to haul all the pine off. I'll probably help him load some o the bigger stuff ;)

We finally got to play with a bit Dave... Forks and bucket on the job tomorrow... Moved some mulch with it this afternoon. Some rocks and dirt as well... Up and down some hill so I could find my comfort zone and learn when to get on or off :lol: Never tipped it. But when that deck lifts up the first couple times when you change terrain it feels a tad funny... :lol:
See it rained on it until I got it covered... No need to wash it. I'll figure out what invasive plants I brought home next spring :lol:I am sending any tumbleweeds back ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0150ed.jpg
    IMG_0150ed.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 43
youll notice that the tie down points on the rear are a lil bent, that where we hooked a shackle to hook up our chokers and drag brush, goes faster foreward than in reverse. so glad you have it and not someone i didnt know off craigslist or that other offer i had, i feel more like it was meant to be this way, same as willy and the grcs...

see why the tree house rocks...familia

Mutual feeling my friend. It's like keeping it in the family... I am honored with your patience while I was getting the financing.
Uploading a video of Levi on it now. Seth, Rob, Kat, Levi and I all got to play with it for a bit when it quit raining. I'll post it when it finishes.

Back