Got me a GRCS

okietreedude

Treehouser
Just got me a GRCS. I bought it off ebay froma guy in GA. There was a link on Treebuzz about it and I watched that sucker for a week. Bid on it in the last seconds and won.

Its used and a little tattered but for $950+57 for shipping, I dont think you can beat that.

Its unit #238.

Ive got a couple jobs already lined out to use it on. Now if the weather would freakin cooperate (its currently snowing w/ a 25mph wind.)

Heres a couple pics:

Attachments

• 100_1940.jpg
    100_1940.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 238
  • 100_1941.jpg
    100_1941.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 237
I think you'll enjoy using that thing. Do you have a good ground operator to work with you on it?

What rope are you gonna be using with it?

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ive got a guy that has been w/ me about 8 months. We do a lot of natural crotch stuff and I do have a portawrap that we've used a few times.

He's seen a grcs in action when we borrowed one back in december.

I dont think the learning curve will be too steep.

as for rope, 1/2" xtc and 5/8" DE.

Congrats on the purchase!

Keep us informed on your experiences with it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Frans - yes it does. its out of the pic.

Arbor - Im already thinking to next deer season...what a way to lift that critter up for skinnin'.

Congrats on the GRCS! I've been fortunate enough to use one at the arboretum (they have one of two on the islands I know of). It seems like we haul that thing up on every single job, because no matter what it comes in handy. Although a PITA to haul up wet muddy slopes, it's well worth the time it saves over a regular port-a-wrap. Have fun and be safe!

jp:D

you have mentioned it being a PITA to haul around before in other threads and web forums....

Cannot be more of a hassle than the hobbs... You must have some specific job where you were required to haul the thing personally orrr something.....

Mark has one, and (I think) Wesely has another, and the arboretum has one.

Congrats again, David! I remember when I first got mine in, happy times :)

Frans I'd immage his has to hump it into the arboretum's various sensitive areas.

Some parts of that place are a PITA to walk around in the rain wthout an extra 30-80lbs. Plus Jon is more regular sized than my oger self, I feel his pain.

Carl carries his GRCS in his back pocket.

If I got a GRCS, I would also get something like this

BCFvsBCF-M-set-up-300px.jpg

...or at least built some mega-cushioned shoulder straps for it.

love
nick

It sure turns some otherwise comfortable pants into some ungodly tight nut huggers, but the chicks dig it.... right?

you have mentioned it being a PITA to haul around before in other threads and web forums....

Cannot be more of a hassle than the hobbs... You must have some specific job where you were required to haul the thing personally orrr something.....

There's jobs in certain areas of the arboretum that require a good amount of hiking, and when it's raining it becomes a mess to carry a heavy load. When I know we've got a tree to do that is a ways from the main roads or even trails, I'll contemplate not hauling the GRCS... but lately I've been taking it every time because, like I said it's been an invaluable tool. The working conditions at the arboretum do differ however than the residential environment.

Now if Carl would apply for the arborist position, I might not have to worry at all about carrying the GRCS. :)

Mark has one, and (I think) Wesley [I corrected your spelling of my name] has another, and the arboretum has one.

Congrats again, David! I remember when I first got mine in, happy times :)

Yes I have one. Carl, which Mark are you speaking of? We always carry ours in the chip truck, but seldom use it. When it is needed, however, it is invaluable. We also carry a chainsaw winch which we use even less, but when we need it, it saves huge amounts of labor.

Carl is probably referring to Mark Leon of Sunshine Landscape/Tree Care, aka The Tree Nazi.

Jon, I knowyour pain about lugging the GRCS around. Just getting up the trails into some of the steep valleys or ridges (or just about anywhere) is difficult enough, but when you've got a tree off the trail, on a steep slope, in thick brush, which rain dumping down, and you're trying to pull your self up what seems like vertical mud...even without the GRCS it's tough! But once you've got the thing setup it's usually worth it. I wouldn't know though, I always made Dougie carry it. (what else are you going to do with a hungover intern ;))

Sounds like working conditions at the arboretum have a lot in common with my own...you fellas that drive up to a residential lot and consider it a long haul to carry tools, equipment, and climbing gear 200 feet to a big back yard with no access get no sympathy from us :D.

Think in terms of multiple miles on some jobs, in my case :whine:.

Back