Going Dutch

• Thread starter TREECYCLE
  • Start date
  • Replies 63
  • Views 8K
Curious if he came up with those methods, or someone taught him? Kind of hard to think that anything could be really new in timber falling technique, but it seems possible.

Agree, Jerry's perspective would also be good.

It did pinch down. He went back into the face cut and did some trimming at about 3:08 in the vid. Then at about 3:28 you can hear the saw pinched as it swings through aways.

The axe in the back cut to me serves two purposes, one it does give you a visual to see the opening or closing of the kerf. Two if it does set back your kerf is still open to get a wedge into. With the axe having a handle they will come out easier if stuck.

The guy does a good job. But not something for your average Joe too try.
Some times they work, other times you walk down the block to get another saw to cut you out.;)

B, I will re watch his back slip vid. I think I know how he did it.

Yup, about the 4th time I watched the vid I caught that one burp of the saw as he hit the throttle at the moment of pinch with the chain bound...steady guy, just waited for that moment to pass and pulled the bar free when the tree behaved as he'd planned.

My thoughts here are, he used a low sloping face. Very little opening in the notch, just enough to get the tree committed to the lay and then close to snap the hinge. In doing this both your back cut and face cut line up, or the back cut may have been a little low also. Then when it snaps off the hinge it can jump right off the stump.

Just my .02

Sounds entirely reasonable. The back cut might even be started a bit lower than the floor of the face and sloped upward some to meet the hinge.

The first vid is just a slight twist on a Swing dutchman. Everybody is kinda gettin all " tapered hinge Murphy".

The first vid is just a slight twist on a Swing dutchman. Everybody is kinda gettin all " tapered hinge Murphy".

A variation, yes, but also employing a new method besides the break in the hinge running out earlier on one side. The tree rolling over as a result of sinking into progressive kerfs is a cool dynamic concept.

It must have taken me watching that swing thing a half a dozen times before I figured out how it worked . Works good but I would have never thought of that method in a million years .

I'm going to have to try that someday. With a smaller tree, in a non-critical situation.

That's my thought too .I have a good cantidate that being a 100 foot plus shag bark with a tad bit side lean .

However I know where it will end up with a rope and some power on it ,with that Dutch guy it would be a guess on my part .

Update video. "ultra soft" Better stump view
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uvVY5jaY9jg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uvVY5jaY9jg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back