Loopie vs whoopie! Whose going to come out on top?

Mesquite

Treehouser
Which one do you prefer to use for anchor points? Do you prefer one in the Canopy and the other one tieing a device to the trunk of the tree? Or do you just prefer to use a dead eye sling?

Blocks aloft or on the ground up to 5/8 I like loopies. 3/4 and larger blocks get dead eyes same with porties. I just never like whoopies.

Never use either , in the tree I use some three strand with a spliced eye. Shackle hangs block fromthe eye , made a hitch with cord around the three strand adding a hook w keeper that also fits into the shackle .... goes from about 6" to several feet

I come from a construction background rigging pipe, tanks, and other 3 dimensional loads so when i came across the loopie sling it was a magical invention. Now it was possible to hitch any size anything with a single strap, and use it to level loads by adjusting it. I liked it so much that i used one sometimes while doing more difficult rigging setups, and it lead me to discovering other tricks like the poldo tackle to adjust the pick point to level a load. I've never had a whoopie sling, the doubled over loopie seemed more secure in my head so I've stuck with them.

To me rigging is the knowledge of all the different options, because they all are viable and might be the best for different jobs. Adjusting a loopie takes only a second, and the tail can be daisy chained to make the extra easy to handle. But I might use a 3 strand dead eye if i need to pull it free a bunch and the bark will likely pick and pull at the softer single braid. Or if it's a sappy mess because sap on a loopie would likely be terrible. It all just depends, and you should know all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow... Your full of fantastic ramblings! Please tell me more about the poldo tackle.

First i loved whoopies because that was all i knew and then i loved loopies once i manned up and went for it. I could find any instructions so i did what men do best and just went for it. It sounds like a fist full of loopies and whoopie in all different siZes and lengths will keep me ready for the next best job. I love rigging because only your imagination and your wallet is what restricts you.

Last edited:
Leveling loads is a very common problem rigging in industrial settings. Often a come along or chain fall is used to adjust the pick point to do so, but one isn't always available, especially in the load rating needed. Remember in construction you are often limited in what tools you have in the gang box. So how can you level something? Well a poldo tackle can be rigged using straps and shackles, which often have a far higher load rating than a come along would have, and while you can't adjust it under load, you can reset it very quickly so it can sometimes work for leveling a piece before you fly it in. It's not an everyday trick, but it can really save your ass when nothing else you have will work. It would be safe to say you will never use it rigging trees so don't waste a bunch of time on it, but it's a handy trick for rigging with slings on odd shaped loads.

You usually can't do actual rigging in plants with knots and rope, they expect far better than that. Apples and oranges completely, someone's back yard vs a dangerous plant setting with people everywhere. But yes, a spider leg is a method to help level a load on trees, also not adjustable under load.

When done with a rated sling yes. There's no actual knotting, it's simply a way to shorten a strap, basically its a basket as far as the straps concerned. Like a boiler hitch on a chain you wouldn't utilize it everywhere, but yes it's a viable and safe way to rig stuff. It's not adjustable under load either, so it's not a come along or fall, and if you are doing a bunch of inverting and stuff like that it's wholly inappropriate. Like many traditional rigging techniques that require actual knowledge and experience to use safely, it's been kinda phased out a bit and isn't explicitly taught anymore, but it still works beautifully in the proper setting.

I enjoyed reading about the poldo tackle. That is a new one to me. I found several videos. Most were constructed with bowlines for loops. This is one I found with some hardware. I liked this one better. I would appreciate a mock-up of the poldo tackle with slings and shackles if you get the time to make a video or take a picture at home.

A trucker hitch is a lashing, a poldo tackle is a quick adjust sling. They're kinda similar in that they're both a z rig, the rope going thru an eye for mechanical advantage, but the difference is that the trucker hitch is far more useful :lol: when i first saw the poldo tackle in a knot book i couldn't see how that could possibly be worthwhile, i mean there's really no good way to pull it tight. I remembered it simply because it's seeming uselessness completely baffled me.

The poldo tackle basically acts as a super fast way to adjust the length of a sling. Since all parts of line have an opposing line canceling out forces, you can simply slide the two hitches in or out super easy when it's unloaded and when it's loaded it'll stay in place. You can build it with pulleys even, doesn't move once it's loaded, it's kinda creepy. Makes a decent belt in a pinch where you can adjust it tight in a split second and make it big enough to slide down when loose, but where it can really shine is when attempting to rig awkward heavy unbalanced loads. A great example in construction would be a fabrication or piece of equipment that ideally needs to be leveled in both directions to install or lift.

Everyone here would simply bust out bull rope and tie a spider leg, but you can't do that in construction so come alongs and chainfalls are often used for load leveling below the hook. You're often limited to the gear on hand, and so you may only have some slings and shackles to use. That's where it can save you, by using a poldo knot with a rated rigging sling using shackles to make your connections you can use a sling in what's a basket rated way and can be adjusted for length a bit. The danger in its use is that if the sling is unloaded the knots can slip, so you should lash them together (rope, zip ties, duct tape, etc) if that's a possibility. Also make sure the shackles are flipped so it can't unscrew the pin, so you put the pin in the eye.

I've used it on rigging pipeline fabrications, the first time on hour 16 or so on a tie in as a helper. We fabbed everything up, and the guys couldn't figure out how to rig up this big awkward 90 piece, no matter how they adjusted the slings it wouldn't go. I went up there, had it all rigged in a couple min with a poldo tackle (never actually trying it before on actual serious rigging), picked it up and down a couple times to set it and to adjust the straps around til it was at the required angles both ways, and boom i was almost as amazed as everyone else when it worked perfectly, all of us watching it in action for the first time in wonder :lol:

It's really cool that it actually works, but you really need to think outside the box to apply it sometimes since it's such an odd thing. It is technically a tackle, but unlike any tackle I've ever used you don't really get mechanical advantage with it, it simply stores line. It works with wire or chain, and it's super fast and easy to adjust. I think on most stuff rope is gonna be the easiest but if you're limited to slings it can be super handy. And it makes a surprisingly decent belt, leave a tail a bit long so you can add a half hitch or daisy chain for security :lol:

Back