Accident Thread - Stuff Gone WRONG!

pantheraba

More biners!!!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The two folks on the ladder, your imgur vid...here is a YT version....I can see more...and there is a bit of verbiage with it.

She had some kind of tool in her mouth! (that might not sound right). It says she fell off the ladder...Kitchener, Ontario...I perused some news there but no luck.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AHt3kjT4g-8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cool the deputy was carrying a tourniquet. I keep a CAT on my saddle and one in the glovebox. I’ve given a few out too.

Heard about the lady with the rope getting caught in the chipper, sad, but she lived.

The guy on the ladder had no business doing what he was doing. Sad.

About 4 years ago a friend who was also my son’s football coach died after falling.
I guess he was tied in on the same lead he was rigging off of, though a different crotch I’m sure. Roped a piece off and the whole stem failed, it was some type of willow.

Glad to start it...helps to share/discuss these things. On that failed lead, Jonny. Boy has that failed lead scenario ever gone through my head before. I'll always do my damndest to find a way to tie off to a different lead...sometimes it's not a good option. Sorry to hear about that tragedy. But it does reinforce that we have to think of all the "what if's".

Dangerous ! I’ll stick to me firewood cutting and modding saws with the occasional drop (mostly straight up like a popsicle ash)with a rope pull ; wedges and directional felling ... Sometimes a fella has to realize his limitations and call in a pro , I’ve done it several times - not worth to get hurt / maimed /killed

Experience can be a hard teacher as she gives the test first and lesson afterward ... Unfortunately some do not go home the way the came in and apparently some do not make it home at all ... much respect to the men who have successfully made a career of this line of work

It would be too easy to damage the chipper at least. Beside that, your dropzone would be drastically reduced and the chipper would be always in the way for the ground crew to manage the limbs.

EXCEPT....when I worked for the one true tree company I ever worked for....early 70's...they had me chunking trees from about 30-40 feet up...directly into the bed of the dump...made a great boom when they hit that metal bottom.

Looking back I think they were crazy...I just did what I was told.:D

I've done the same thing for a fool treeco - holes were knocked in the bed - the maroon. The owner was the one who said to do it, soooooo...

A close thing.

Felled this poplar stem, left the truck where it was as it was in the shade and the dog was in it.

Figured I had plenty of room to put it on the other stem on the ground to avoid too much lawn damage.

What I hadn’t accounted for is the bark shearing off at the impact point and the whole stem sliding almost frictionlessly forward to stop inches from the truck.

Attachments

• 2A2EE498-FEA4-4296-8CF3-4E55A033414A.jpg
    2A2EE498-FEA4-4296-8CF3-4E55A033414A.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 57
That's the fun of treework - you can easily be SURPRISED!!! :\:

But, judging from the bark sheared, I still woulda moved the truck.

I check the dripline almost daily. I’m supposed to get alerts but for some reason that’s not working. Keeps me up to date and brings up ideas for safety meetings. As of this morning it was 72 deaths and 48 injuries in the industry (reported). The woman tangled in a rope led to almost an hour long whole company meeting that included the Cal-line video and the incident video of Samauri Joe. Lots of talk about it being everyone’s responsibility to make sure this never even comes close to happening. Though I’m mostly bucket baby these days, the old school everyday climber in me still has very strong feelings about getting my tie in point broken out and quickly meeting a chipper knife.

Back