Going Dutch

• Thread starter TREECYCLE
  • Start date
  • Replies 63
  • Views 8K
Really? It looked more like it was laying on the ground. He seemed to be staring at it a lot as he worked the cut around.

Longer it is, the more pronouced the movement, i'd guess he just got into the habit, seen guys do it

Well, he obviously knows his stuff and has refined his skills to an exceptional level. I can't wait to see what Burnham thinks. :/:

Watching his vids makes me think that there are few impossible falling situations that can't be remedied with the most basic of equipment. Still, feet don't fail me now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b_o-fYbgTk

This is interesting... I use this fairly often, used it today pulling the top out of a pine tree.. I pulled the idea out of my ass one day and it worked. Neat to see someone else do it.

Live elms are good trees to play around with swinging and dutchmans. A tiny bit of holding wood goes a long ways with them. Amazing how strong the wood is.

Another nice vid. All his vids show a relatively low back cut, in keeping with the general theory about it, I believe. Willie, axe in the kerf noted in the back.

That Husky sounds modded. :evil:

Elm has notorious tough interlocking grain, very resistant to splitting, one reason why they used to use it for wagon wheel hubs, and gears in water powered mills.

His handel is hotsaws, I thought they sounded modded too.
They get charged if they leave high stumps most places

Well, he obviously knows his stuff and has refined his skills to an exceptional level. I can't wait to see what Burnham thinks. :/:

I think he's very good at something I generally avoid trying :).

I'm not sure how he kept from getting his bar pinched. The very initial movement that ALMOST immediately transitions into the swing HAS to be towards the back cut, I would have thought. But I swear, as close as I can watch that vid ( I'm talking about the first one) repeatedly, I can't see movement into the lean at all. If I were to give that a go, I'd think I'd want to finish up with only the outermost portion of the bar engaged in the back cut kerf.

Obviously, he has it down. Better faller than I, props to him.

I looked for that movement also and couldn't see it. It did seem like it sat on his bar and he expected it, waited for the tree to release it, and then pulled out.

Those a some pretty neat techniques. You need to get plenty of practice in the woods though. I would hate to try that near a structure. I don't think I have the constitution for that. The suspense would probably give me a heart attack before the hinge broke.

Could the axe have been for 2 reasons. One, as said, to look for movement and the other to act as a guide for his cut direction? Therefore using the axe would have given him an advantage over just a wedge?

:?

I'm still not sold on that he put a dutchman on the lean side of the face, as was proposed here. It's hard to see, but watching the vid carefully doesn't seem to show the angle of the saw cutting beyond the apex of the hinge on the side he's on. Not doing so would help to keep the tree from swinging towards the lean as it initially starts to go over, is the way I picture it, maximizing the holding wood on the lean side to keep compression from occurring there. The progress of the back cut, along with the degree of remaining holding wood seems pretty critical for success. He obviously has a good feeling about it, sticking around as the tree is falling.

I looked for that movement also and couldn't see it. It did seem like it sat on his bar and he expected it, waited for the tree to release it, and then pulled out.

I'll look again, Willie. Seems like it would HAVE to pinch down some, maybe you have it right. Thanks.

Could the axe have been for 2 reasons. One, as said, to look for movement and the other to act as a guide for his cut direction? Therefore using the axe would have given him an advantage over just a wedge?

:?

I'm pretty sure it's solely to indicate opening/closing movement of the kerf of the back cut...he uses it the same way in at least one other of his vids

Sure wish I had the slightest clue what sequence of cuts used and where he used them on his back slip vid. Someone else have that figured out? Dave?

The working in the basement vid is straightforward...I actually could and would do that one.

The danger cat series looks unwise to me. Assumeing that the standing green trees to the left of the hung one and the one it's hung in, are to be felled too, I can't see a reason not to drive the hangup down with a third tree. Sometimes cutters who are really talented and experienced get to feeling bulletproof...:(

I couldn't decipher the reasons for the side step cut, but that was pretty slick.

I guess I'm a product of my training, I avoid these methods, generally. I understand most of the theory and principles, but...all these techniques that work towards moving the butt around or twisting and swinging the tree are really hard to manage with confidence that the desired outcome is the one you're going to get...so often the degree of response is either too much or not enough.

My 2 cents is all, and I sure can't point to this cutter and see any failure to get what he wanted in the vids...he calls his shots first, and makes 'em happen. He does lots of things right, like keeping a close eye on the top, monitoring the movement of the tree, and getting well away from the stump and into a safe location when the tree commits to the face.

Thanks, Burnham, and all you guys for weighing in on this...I don't begin to understand a lot of what I am seeing there but as y'all discuss it a little does trickle through.

On the back slip vid, it looks like his back cut is angled up pretty steep, and that he cuts up his hinge pretty fine before hitting the wedges to make it go over.. That's as far as I could get on that one.

I'll look again, Willie. Seems like it would HAVE to pinch down some, maybe you have it right. Thanks.

It did pinch down. He went back into the face cut and did some trimming at about 3:08 in the vid. Then at about 3:28 you can hear the saw pinched as it swings through aways.

The axe in the back cut to me serves two purposes, one it does give you a visual to see the opening or closing of the kerf. Two if it does set back your kerf is still open to get a wedge into. With the axe having a handle they will come out easier if stuck.

The guy does a good job. But not something for your average Joe too try.
Some times they work, other times you walk down the block to get another saw to cut you out.;)

B, I will re watch his back slip vid. I think I know how he did it.

Back slip

Sure wish I had the slightest clue what sequence of cuts used and where he used them on his back slip vid. Someone else have that figured out? Dave?

My thoughts here are, he used a low sloping face. Very little opening in the notch, just enough to get the tree committed to the lay and then close to snap the hinge. In doing this both your back cut and face cut line up, or the back cut may have been a little low also. Then when it snaps off the hinge it can jump right off the stump.

Just my .02

Last edited:
I thought he went back to cutting on the face to deepen his outside top kerf (dutchman). I'm eager to attempt the technique, but I want to try and do the back cut from the back of the tree more, instead of hanging out down there in no man's land.

If the saw did pinch his bar then it freed up as the tree rolled around, that would help explain why he stayed at the base so long. Agree with Reddog, not for your average everyday bear.

Back