Fuel line leak question.

canadianclimber

TreeHouser
Hey,

Do fuel lines deteriorate? The line out of the fuel filter on my chipper seams to be "sweating". All clamps are tight. I will just replace it and the clamps to be sure. Is there a certain type of rubber line I should use for diesel?

Always learning

Yes and yes is correct. I don't know if the line would be diesel specific but it has to be rated for fuel. Something in fuel causes regular rubber lines to break down rather quickly. Don't forget to bleed the air out of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What is the process of bleeding the air out? Picked up some line and new clamps yesterday.

No suction gun. If it's a simple tool I could probably grab one from the local hardware store. Or is there an alternative?

The only diesel engines I've ever serviced or used had a fuel pump button and an air purge valve in the military. I don't wanna speak out of line but if the replaced lines were sucked and filled with fuel it would be a good start. Not sure as to specifics for your situation, no service or operator's manual? online? Or the make and model of your chipper?

Agreed again. The best I can say is find the engine manual. Every engine has slightly different ways of doing it. If you don't have a hand pump on it, put one on.

image.jpg

I'm replacing the left line coming out of the fuel filter. I was told it was the return line.

I appreciate the info and help. I realize this is an easy task for most of you guys. I'm trying to do as much work on the chipper myself to be more prepared for breakdowns/trouble shooting as I can. Gotta learn

I don't think so. Isn't it coming out of the fuel pump, leading through the filter and supplying the injection pump? And if that is the fuel pump(lol) is there not a little lever that you can 'pump' to help prime?

Your return and supply line should be easy to find by tracing them both back from the tank. I'm not familiar at all with that motor.

Looks to me that line would be supply. After the pump would be pressure through the filter and may explain why it was sweating.

Looks to me that the return is back to the injection pump in the banjo fitting.

These engines operate at a very low pressure through the filter and into the injection pump. What little fuel is not injected through the nozzles is sent back to the injection pump where it can be pressurized up again or just used as lubricant.

Anyway, neither of those lines look like a return, pressure in to the filter and pressure out. If there is a return it might be a little bitty line to the tank, but most likely not as the little line off of the nozzles goes right back to the pump.

Some of these little buggers dont even have a dedicated return line back to the tank.

Your auto parts store will have what you need. Just tell them the line is after the transfer pump and they should give you the right stuff.

That is how I was seeing it too Jim. Like there may be no return past looping back to the injection pump.

The little round device at the back of the engine is the transfer pump. If it has a lever on it you will be able to prime the filter and the line. If not, you may have to break a line or three at the injection nozzles to get it to start. If you are not changing the filter, only the lines, I doubt that you will have to prime anything at all.

If no lever on the transfer pump, but you are going to change the filter, I have filled diesel filter with CLEAN fuel to help prime them. They usually recommend that you dont pre fill a filter, but cranking an engine for a long time is hard on starters and batteries.

Good info thanks. I'm not changing the filter. I'll look for the lever on the pump in the morning. Planning to do the work Friday. I'm starting to grow a complex with all the talk of my "little engine". Ha

Back